DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I'm really hoping someone can help me here. I'm making a pair of staves for my grilfriend and I want to burn their names into them, Urim and Thummim, as seen in such works as The Alchemist and The Bible.

Basically the stones (or possibly sticks in the Bible - it's unclear) could be picked out of a sack, hat, pocket while asking God / The Universe a question and they'd divine for you if you were stuck, like in a forest or something... The white stone means yes, the black stone meant no.

Now my problem is that nowhere - internet, Bible, Alchemist, or even the mighty Ask Jeeves eek does anyone say which of them is black (no) or white (yes).

I've found one reference to Urim being yes (white), but some dude just wrote that on a newsgroup so he could totally wrong. Especially considering nobody else specifies. It's like they all shy away from it cause they don't knowI'm quite certain that it's cause they don't know.

Please enlighten me if you can. Before anybody asks, yes it does matter.

If I have the colours wrong before I cast a spell on them who knows what might happen. Yes might mean no and no mean yes and up mean down and down mean up, and it'd be like playing that game where you mean the opposite of what you say the whole time and lifes confusing enough you know. frown

Do you get me?

No?

Bad! Lets not proceed then. ubbloco

confused

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Before anybody asks, yes it does matter.

If I have the colours wrong before I cast a spell on them who knows what might happen.

in which practice does it matter? i followed Wicca for a long time, and also practice druidry, and i never heard that it really matters, because it's to do with your own energy. You are the channel, the driving force who will control the outcome. The colours only make a difference if you believe they do.

I don't actually know the answer to your question, but as a generaly rule white is normally positive & black negative isn't it?

Don't listen to me though - i could be wrong.

Peace. XxX smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I was joking about getting things backward. You're right that anything done is to both of them. The colours are now irrelevent since they're identical except for their names now. It's still important to know which one is which.

You're probably right though, everythings poiting towards Urim being yes and Thummim being know so that's what I'm assuming.

They're by far the coolest staffs I've ever made and I can't wait to give 'em to her tonight... biggrin biggrin biggrin

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
cool. I hope they answer lots of impoirtant questions with lots of nice answers! ubbrollsmile

Peace. XxX

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I keep thinking Hunin and Munin...

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
i just came across a myth concerning odin and his twin ravens hugin and munin who represented thought and memory and were messengers from the afterlife.......oh the synchronicities...

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:
and i keep thinking uma thurmin

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
our computers are Hunun and Munin....

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu