Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > crap newbie needs help................ :(

Login/Join to Participate

sophxxmember
10 posts

Posted:
hi smile

i tried searching, with no luck, but im sorry if there is a thread out there the same as this frown
i am learning veeeeeeeeery slowly, and having beaucoups difficulties with the weave, im sure this is a mucho basic move for everyone readin this, but i just cant seem to get the hang of it.....

any tips?

much appreciated!!!!!

(or links to another thread if i am being stupid...)

cheers amigos

luvsophxx

did you know that there are more plastic flamingos in the usa than real ones?

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Hi Sophxx wave
have you tried looking at the HOP lessons? (see 'free lessons' at the top of the page.)
They're really useful for moves like this.
Good luck with it, and give us a shout if you're still struggling.
wave

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Someone made a slow motion animated .gif of the weave and he high lighted the arms digitally with diffrent colous, can't remeber where I saw it.

One way to help you learn is to do it with sticks and very slowly make the sticks follow the motion poi would (this is useful because there is no real momentum so you can slowly move them and watch the path they take.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ok, first thing is you want to make sure you can do a two beat weave. If you cant do this, then learn it first. This is just a basic cross over where one hand always leads from left to right and vice verce.

Once you have that down, you want to get a third beat in there. What happens now is, the hand that leads to a side will do 2 beats while the other only does one. So right hand will do two beats on the left side, left will do two beats on the right. The right hand will always lead to the left side and the left will always lead to the right.

Take it slow, swing the poi slow, watch yourself in a mirror if at all possible. If you can manage to do the weave only once and you get the feel of what its like to do it correctly, then its just a matter of time and practice before youre doing it flawlessly.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
Kay the way I found it easy was to learn with one poi.....

Just pretend to do the weave ( so o all the hand movements ) just use one poi. then switch to the other poi and do the same again. I found that not only I learnt the weave extreemly quickly ( 1/2 an hour ) but I found that when teaching a friend it helped him iron out all his problems. I think there is a similar tutorial on the site in the free lessons section.

Another friend just watched as many movies with the weave in it and didn't even pick up his poi untill the very last moment.

Good Luck

laZy

as laZy as .....

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
i actualyl leanred this by accident lol i dindt knw about this site at the time, but basicly i learned by realising thats what your basicly doing is making each arm go over the other each time righ over left left over right and so on. thats all your doing, keep that in mind when your doign the reverse weave, same thing xept u put each arm under the other one:) try with one poi at furst youllg e the hang of it.

(btw the free lessons help alot)

EDITED_BY: joulz (1072497725)

it must be green

mosesmember
30 posts

Posted:
i learned to do the weave with rolled up socks stuffed inside longer socks to weigh down the bottom...then it doesn't hurt so bad when u wack your stuff

..::Spiral Out:Keep Going::..

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Have one poi in your right hand and nothing in the left hand, then stick your left hand straight out in front of you so it's horizontal. Then practise spinning your poi so it does one spin on the right, one on the left over your left arm and then one on the left under your left arm and then finally back to the right to start again. These are the 3 beats. Once you've got that, practise with the poi in your left hand.

When you're doing it imagine both hands are on a steering wheel which you're turning from one side to the other - so the hand that is on top goes from left to right and back again. Once you've got each individual hand movement down then you'll find that you can do this... smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

sophxxmember
10 posts

Posted:
ah cheers amigos smile

i am sorta getting there... i will update you on my progress!!

thanx for all the help, i hope you all had lovely christmas's ubbrollsmile

muchlovsophxx

did you know that there are more plastic flamingos in the usa than real ones?

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Once you have that down, you want to get a third beat in there. What happens now is, the hand that leads to a side will do 2 beats while the other only does one. So right hand will do two beats on the left side, left will do two beats on the right. The right hand will always lead to the left side and the left will always lead to the right.

So...when you say "do 2 beats while the other only does one" does that mean I cross my hands - let's say right over left. The right hand does 2 circles and the left hand does 1? So 1 poi is moving faster than the other?

I've also found it helpful to practice doing different things w my hands - like 1 going forward, the other backward. Or different speeds. It helps me learn to control hands in a more specific way.

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

mr_guy99493member
23 posts

Posted:
to do 2 beats with one hand while the other does one, it goes "right left right" on the left side, and "left right left" on the right.

for the four beat, one had will lead all of the time. ie "L R L R" on left and right, or "R L R L" on left and right... more experienced ppl, am i correct in saying this???

if i want to do a five beat weave, will it have to go LRLRL RLRLR ???

damn that sounds hard.

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
no u fool the thing it u with your righ hand lets say u would swing it to your right meanwhile your left hand is on the right side,now when u do u furst spin with your right hand your bring your left hand over your right hand ( which makes 1 beat) and then your right ahnd is free to do another spin but umm meanwhile, your left hand is doing its furst spin so get ready to breing your right hand to do its furst spin so yoru left hand can do its second spin and repeat:)

btw: the 5 beat weave or 6 or 7 or wtv, their a diff cus the chains/ strings wtv get tangled so u have to bring them to your other side, give htme time to untangle and then repeat ubbrollsmile but its not as graceful so to me its not worth learning
EDITED_BY: joulz (1073341517)

it must be green