Forums > Technical Discussion > fuel options in central/south america

Login/Join to Participate

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
hey all...travelling thru costa rica right now, and then throughout central and south america...hello from the road!
anyway, im hunting for fuel options out here...i asked around for "kerosine" o "Gaso Blanco" but nobody's got it. they had "Canfin" and can get "Aceite" or "Aceife", tho, is anyone familiar with those? im a lamp oil lover but somethng like white gas would be okay too.
heph

DreamingPhoenixTribemember
6 posts

Posted:
Hello there - I hope you are enjoying Latin America!

It can be difficult to find fuels for spinning where you are... as you have likely already found. To add to the problem, names for various fuels mean different things in different (even adjacent) countries... This may be a good opportunity for you to learn to differentiate between various fuels by smell, because it may be your only hope in many cases. If you are unsure, always experiment with a very small amount of fuel in safe conditions first, before putting it on your wicks (I was once given diesel to burn with, which my hosts swore was what they put in what I knew to be their diesel tractor... it turned out to be something else much more volotile, as I found when I lit my wicks - luckily there was no disaster involved, but I would be careful).

In southern mexico and anywhere else that its hard to find fuel, many people use what we call diesel in america. This produces long lasting, sooty/smoky flames and doesnt smell very good. It has comes with some health risks due to the carcinogenic additives and volitile organics (benzene, etc.). Still, many people use it. It goes under the names of diesel (mexico), gasoil (argentina - where they told me diesel was something else) and petrol (chile, I think)... and may have other names in other places.

Kerosene (kerosine) is available in some countries, though you may have to go looking in camping stores and pay a lot for it.

If you are looking for an adventure and really determined, you could go to an airport and see what you can find (maybe a smaller, not major metropolitan airport) - pure kerosene is supposed to be used as aviation fuel, though I cannot personally vouch for this. If you end up trying this, let me know how it turns out.

Actually, Id be happy to hear if you come up with any other tips as well.

cheers!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I'm not fuel expert either but my understanding of Aviation fuel is that it's petrol with a higher octane. IE around 103 whereas petrol'd be round 87 / 93 octane.

I only know this cause I used to have an uncle who put it in his car to make it faster a few years ago... I dunno, just be carefull I spose... confused

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
thank you both for your help...canfin has worked out pretty well thru costa rica, and here in panama ive found kerosene pretty easily...but thanks a lot for the tips! might i see either of you in the region anywhere?

heph

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Not me I'm afraid. Thought I saw a thread in introductions not long ago with a S. American person on it though...

Best of luck

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Heathmember
36 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I'm not fuel expert either but my understanding of Aviation fuel is that it's petrol with a higher octane. IE around 103 whereas petrol'd be round 87 / 93 octane.

There are a couple of types of aviation fuel commonly available in the US. The most popular are 100LL and Jet-A. 100LL is 100 octane leaded gasoline. This is what you're referring to and it is pretty toxic stuff. Certainly one would not want to spin with it. Jet-A is pure kerosene which may or may not contain additives which can be considered harmful. One can definitely spin with this stuff. 100LL is really only used for small private airplanes. Everything else pretty much runs off of Jet-A