Forums > Social Chat > A Wise Philosopher once said...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Is a penguin bar a biscuit or not?

I throw it open to the floor.

soldaribusy-tofu!
133 posts

Posted:
It's not a biscuit, it's a newton!

there is no better way to say I love you than with the gift of a spatula!

o0tigger0ostranger
9 posts

Posted:
LOL . forgivness is divine .. but never pay for late pizza ubbrollsmile

I am the god of hell fire ... And I bring you FIRE!!!!!!!!!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Think of one ten times the size, if you can still think of it as a biscuit, then it is.

Incidently, there was a court case a few years back based around jaffa cakes, apparrently you pay extra VAT, or something, on a biscuit but not on a cake so the Inland Revenue, or whoever were trying to prove it was a biscuit. The manufacturers simply made a huge one and brought it to court pointing out that it had no biscuit tendencies whatsoever.

That came out for more tortuous than I intended. I apologise.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i remember that ubblol

penguin is a chocolate bar. until you take the wrapper off.

then its a biscuit.

maybe ubbloco

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
It's a chocolate.

Unless you eat all the chocolate off and then put the remainder in a biscuit tin, then and only then is it a biscuit.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
No, it's not a biscuit, it's a yummy thing that has biscuit as part of it's yumminess, but that does not really make it a biscuit.

(PS I have no idea what this food is but am taking a guess it is like this eskimo thing we have in NZ...)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
What is this? I mean if it's PART biscuit, you can't necessarily say it is a biscuit, just like you can't say a pencil is all graphite. If it has chocholate, you can't say it is chocholate because it clearly has a non-chocholate part that is central to it's taste and appeal. Clearly a penguin bar can not be put into either one of these catagories. Some have suggested "chocholate biscuit bars", but this is just a combination of the two previous theories which we have already dismissed as incapable of capturing the essence of a Penguin Bar.

At this point we could say that the penguin bar fits in no catagory except its own, the Penguin Bar catagory, as all other catagories fail. But this is essentially saying that a Penguin Bar possesses it's own essence free of any other fully encompassing catagorical label, which is impossible. If a penguin bar was the only thing in the universe (Thus not having any entangling connections to any other objects, essentially: having its own essence) then there would be no observor to say exactly what the nature of that candy bar is. Since this makes no sense, I must protest that a Penguin Bar is a biscuit, AND that it is other than a biscuit.

Since a thing can not be two things, as there is a problem of identity, I must fully say that this question is mute. It is clear from this explanation that the Penguin Bar does not exist at all, and thus all other facts including that it is made by the leading manufacturer of biscuit products in the UK must be thrown out as inconsequential.

There is no biscuit. biggrin

Djnnmember
79 posts

Posted:
The bisket in essence is part of the whole, which does not make it the whole but it does not make it less than it is as a part. And your right there is no bisket because you ate my last one eek
-djinn

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ive been boycotting penguins since they dont have good jokes any more frown

however, i dont belive penguin is biscuit.

think about it in relation to a mars bar... it is very similar.
now a mars bar is certainly not biscuit. therefore penguin is not biscuit as it bears more
resemblance to not biscuit than to... lets say rich teas.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
I think it falls into the same category as 'breakaway' or 'club', it's a chcolate-covered biscuit. tongue

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
charles a penguin is like a basic timtam.

and aussies and kiwis in the uk moan neverendingly about their inferiority to the aforementioned chocolate/cake/biscuit bar

Quote:

Since a thing can not be two things, as there is a problem of identity, I must fully say that this question is mute.

roflmao at spelling nerdiness

moot?

ubblol ubblol

i miss the jokes too ubbcrying

ummR

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
I would claim it is one of the many "mongrels" of the snack world where it is neither solely one thing nor another, but a yummy combination of all of them.

however it also defines itself as just a "bar"...
one would have thought i would be undermiming my point when i say it also defines itself as a penguin, however if one draws a parallel to our own species, homo sapiens, all is clear. A penguin bar, is a bar of the penguim variety.

In conclusion, it is not a biscuit, because in the same way that humans evolved from single cell organisms and we do not call ourselves protozoa, the penguin bar has evolved from the mere biscuit and merits a category of its own.

tadaa!

PS I haven't had one for ages- but to hear that they no longer have really bad jokes (often strangely hillarious in a pointless giggly way) makes me very sad. frown

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Quote:

and aussies and kiwis in the uk moan neverendingly about their inferiority to the aforementioned chocolate/cake/biscuit bar

You can get them in Tesco's now, in original, caramel and triple chocolate.

I can almost die happy.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
jesus.

i mean they(timtams)'re good, but not that good.

as i mentioned in another thread the thing about here thats much better chocolatey-wise is the serious variety in cadburys stuff.
imean we get plain, fruit and nut, and nut in the uk.

and here there're shelves of different varieties... ubbcrying

i wish i liked chocolate more, then i could fully appreciate.... ubbangel

R

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
uh, nope, we get many cadburys varieties here.... honeycomb, biscuit, 'tiffin'.....lots!

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Rob, sinsce yo have been away, cadburys have released a whole new load of stuff.

repackaged the caramels too. eek

Tut tut.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
cadburys are basterds tongue

they keep on changing the bournville recipe, like 3 times in the last year. I'm informed by others that the recipe change doesn't affect the taste, it's purely a matter of what the cheapest raw ingrediants are at the time. But it's fluctuated from vegan to non vegan to vegan and now back to non vegan since this time last year. Appart from the new packets, before the packaging remianed identical, but on the back it just said "Chocolate" instead of "Plain Chocolate", so you hafta check every one you buy. I wish they'd make their minds up, cause it's good stuff rolleyes

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Have you tried the Green and Black's organic dark chocolate? Their Maya Gold (with a hint of orange and spice) is particularly good and completely vegan. Holland and Barret do it for a reasonable price.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmm.
going out now to buy chocolate.
*rubs hands together with glee*

ubbloco

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
a penguin is just a fancy sort of bourbon biscuit thats all, so its a buiscut,
the real question is shredded wheat???
ingredients 100% whole wheat
so is it whole or is it shredded?
again open to the floor

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Deranged_Hedgehogmember
13 posts

Posted:
Quote:

a penguin is just a fancy sort of bourbon biscuit thats all, so its a buiscut,
the real question is shredded wheat???
ingredients 100% whole wheat
so is it whole or is it shredded?
again open to the floor

confused Thinking about it hurts confused

T]-[E DeR/-\NgEd ]-[eDgE]-[0G

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I would answer that... But I'm not going to ruin your fun biggrin

Enjoooooy!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

chuk_u_farliemember
9 posts

Posted:
1) penguin is a biscuit pretending to be a chocolate bar... it is a secret agent of the biscuit world in a not so cunning attempt to overthrow the chocolated dominance of corner shop shelves.

2) shredded wheat is made of twigs and spit and bits of mud... perhaps this "hole of wheat" is the depository for all of the good tasting cereal that never made it into said breakfast in the first place?

3) both are probably something to do with the rand corperation or something....

think of the senoritas!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
and while on the subject of cereal-----where the hell does the name Weet-a-bix come from??? (although it's called something different round the rest of the world you'll know what I mean)

What the hell is a bix?? confused

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Could someone please translate all this into American?

Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares; at the head of noisy streets she cries out, in the gateways of the city she makes her speech:

Deranged_Hedgehogmember
13 posts

Posted:
A penguin is a kind of biscuit that's covered in chocolate. I can't remember if you've got them in America or not, it's been a while since I was last there.

Since it's covered in chocolate, is it a chocolate bar, or because it has biscuit in the middle is it a biscuit? We may never know...

The other tangents about shredded (whole) wheat and wheatabix are beyond me. I've no idea how you can have whole shredded wheat and I've not got a damn clue what a bix is confused

T]-[E DeR/-\NgEd ]-[eDgE]-[0G

Laytinmember
111 posts

Posted:
Like a Kit Kat or a Twix?

Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares; at the head of noisy streets she cries out, in the gateways of the city she makes her speech:

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
Or Smarties. That just confuses me. Or even M'Ms, for that matter.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
oh for jebus crisp's sakes it's a choclatey biscuit! so there mmmmm<---sticking out tongue. tongue<----yea kinda like that

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Although this thread seems to be heavily debating Penguin BISCUITS (not cakes) it reminded me of a funny story I had to share.....

First tho some history:

My Mom - Social Worker for the Elderley and arse kicker of the shitty NHS/bullshit politics/egotistical doctors and consultants
A Fellow member of her team - Waste of space and severely stuck up her own asre!
90yo Liddle Chinese Man (5'1" tall!) - Waiting to be discharged from hospital after treatment and into new place at an old folks home.

They were all together trying to arrange a home placement for this lovely old man who had just had an operation, my Mom was doing her best to get everything arranged for the old guy and get him comfy and settled somewhere nice, while the woman she works with was doing her best to follow every rule to the letter and deny him his rightful place. After much debating between the two ladies the little old chinese man raises his hand to interupt and get their attention, turns to the other woman with the most serious look on his face and pronounces with all sincerity:

"Confusious (sp?) say....'Man who sticks finger up bottom, leaves with smelly finger!'"

My Mom nearly pissed herself laughing and the other woman just didn't know what to do, so she left! My Mom arranged everything and we went very happily to his new home with a big smile on his face......PRICELESS!! ubbtickled ubbrollsmile ubbloco

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Page: