Forums > Social Discussion > So, will it all be justified?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
joe_sixstepsmULti-torTOISe
310 posts
Location: Kent currently, Cornwall soon, New Zealand eventua...

Posted:
As someone who deeply opposed the invasion of Iraq, I find that there is one pro-war argument in particular that is difficult to answer. It has been mentioned in the other war threads, but never properly discussed - we always seem to get sidelined by debating individual incidents, the truth about which no-one knows.

I tend to assume that the US/UK motives for engaging in this war were entirely self-serving and immoral, but for the purposes of this debate their motivations, I think, are irrelevant. The argument I always find it difficult to answer is this:

If, in five years time, the people of Iraq are significantly better off than they would have been under Saddam, will the war not have been justified?

This argument avoids questions of motivation, the existance of WMDs.. all the lies and rhetoric our glorious leaders espoused to talk us into this thing.

(should note that I consider those arguments to have been completely proved to be spurious -
even if there were WMDs we obviously had no idea whether they still existed, though of course we knew they were there in the first place because we sold them to him;
we are allied with and supporting regimes guilty of far worse atrocities;
both the CIA and the foreign service advised their respective governments that the post-war chaos in Iraq would reduce stability in the area rather than increase it;
no connection between Saddam and Al Qaida has ever been demonstrated)

Comes back to the question of whether you can do a good thing for bad reasons, I suppose. We could debate endlessly whether the Iraqi people or the world at large are actually better off for the change... but let's face it, none of us really know what we're talking about. For the sake of the argument, let's assume that in five years the Iraqi people and the world at large are going to be better off for this war (quite an assumption - it grates with me as well). Was it justified?

The Confusion Squid has many tentacles

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Dom, in your refutation of both Ray's points (which i also argued with when he made them) you state that because the US has done nothing in similar situations, it means they should have done nothing in this one.

i don't follow the logic...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
No. It means they need to be a bit more honest about why they're doing something. Bush going on air to say: "My fellow Americans. You see that 6 litre SUV in your drive way. It needs more gas, and we're going to go get it." Sounds more honest than the current changing justification. ok?

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Quote:

No. It means they need to be a bit more honest about why they're doing something. Bush going on air to say: "My fellow Americans. You see that 6 litre SUV in your drive way. It needs more gas, and we're going to go get it." Sounds more honest than the current changing justification. ok?

Dom, Dom, Dom, Dom, Dom...

Your arguments, though compelling, lacks one very key part. Here in the real world, we call it evidence! Your arguments are based on a biased opinion and speculation.

Even if in 2 years down the road, we find out that there are and were no WMDs in Iraq and that it wasn’t really Iraq who was violating UN sanctions, you would still need evidence that would prove that Bush went to war over oil.

I'm disappointed in you Dom; you usually come up with better arguments than that! frown

Quote:

and sanctions weren't in place to destroy the country

The sanctions were not in place to destroy the country, they were there to stop the country from destroying OTHERS... you know like Kuwait? Or did you forget about that little war?

Quote:

And you're talking about a country that used to be the most advanced in the Middle East, and in some ways more advanced than the US in terms of education...

You do mean among men though right? You forget that strict Muslims frown upon educated women.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Ray, there's plenty of supporting evidence that oil was a motive, backed up by the post war actions of the Bush government. And there's lots of evidence that there were no WMD in Iraq. Saddam was bluffing in order to keep power and prevent invasion. It's a daily activity of many politicians. (Actually I was thinking about this and it run bells with WW2, where the UK bluffed having more strength than it actually did to the extend Hilter put off invading for fear of failure. And there's the theory that he respected the British enough to hold out hope for peace.)

And your last comment shows that you obviously haven't listened to what myself or anyone who knows about Iraq will tell you. Hang on, I'll use patronising caps lock:IRAQ IS NOT AFGHANISTAN. In Iraq strict Islam was suppressed and women had equal access to education and jobs as men. And if you try yo'll easily be able to find millions of devout Muslims who believe in equality. Stop basing your arguments on narrow minded world views.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
*mod hat on*

Dom, Ray: this needs to stop now.

Surely by now the two of you are bored with wasting each other's energy? When condescension plays a large part in your post, either rethink your motives in posting it (preaching to the deaf?), or hit the button.

thanks

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

3,149 posts

Posted:
*not-a-mod-but-states-his-opinion-on-matters-that-don't-concern-him hat on*

yups indeedy to the less condescension advice.
Generally anything that starts with con... is a bad thing
(condemnation, controversy, contractions, consumption, confinement, connery, etc)

although i suspect Ray & Dom are thick skinned enough to take it from each other, given mutual consent.

Which is (kind of...) given by posting in this forum in the first place, where we expect *ahem* strongly worded arguments.

Of course, respect for others should be maintained at all times.

But Flash, your post seems to be requesting that people not argue here at all. Which would make this forum, and the intelligent debate contained within, rather redundant, no?

Have three smileys for attentive and groovy moddage though : smile smile smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
smilies noted.

I'm happy for continued intelligent debate. I would never ask that intelligent, adult, conceptual debates stop. I was asking two very naughty boys to stop throwing rocks at each other. peace

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Rocks? What rocks? confused

Oh! Those rocks! They're for my Japanese Zen Garden. Honest!

2,905 posts

Posted:
Dom is a man, that I would love to just sit there an tease all night long, because I know he can take it and because I know he will dish out the same if not more.

I respect Dom, because he teaches me and has tought me more about the world outside of the US than I ever learned in my 3 years in England and over 1 1/2 of deployments for the USMC.

I may hate the guy sometimes but man he has my respect and because of that I feel a need to challenge him, because if I can beat him... oh that would make my year smile

(so Dom when are we gonna talk about the applied use of firepower during a combat situation? tongue )

I don't know if he sees all this or not, but I hope he does.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Ray, the fact that "Dom can take it" is irrelevent. The fact that you and he create a negative space when you interact with each other on the board sometimes is a concern, hence my request (not the first) to please refrain.

Your above post sounds like contrived manipulations of a situation. clear as daylight. been there done that and, as a result, can see it a mile away. "respect = need to challenge" I think I used that one on my parents when they caught me skipping school when I was 16.

So, let's just be honest shall we?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

2,905 posts

Posted:
Okay Flash, read what you want out of it.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Apologies Simian smile I enjoyed the bit about the rhetorical hippos. By fence sitting I was referring to the way Ray was distancing himself from the American human rights violations by saying he did not vote for Bush, it was out of his control, and he was not responsible in anyway. I found this a tad misleading.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

3,149 posts

Posted:
i enjoyed writing the hippo bit too smile

sooo

A N Y W A Y

will that war in iraq end up being justified?

or has this thread pretty much meandered its way to a foggy conclusion? umm

3,149 posts

Posted:
Awesome, i met one of those circus2iraq guys at Just Jugglers the other week. It sounded a really nice idea, but i wasn't sure if it would get a good reception there or not. i'm glad my worries were unfounded smile

Page: