Forums > Social Chat > Speaking of Olympics...

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Can anyone ever remember an olympics with so many temper tantrums?And I just saw a report on it, and with so many internationals on here I thought I'd ask....what is the curling thing, and why so popular??------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
It's Scottish methinks, and it is kinda like lawn bowls (which is also really popular) and shuffleboard.I quite like it - looks like fun!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
The only reason Curling is in the news at the moment is because we (The Brits) won a meddle in it - which is rare for winter sports. It could be called the dullest sport to watch on earth if someone hadn't invented Figure Skating....The whole thing's been rigged from the start by those lovely Yanks anywayz...(Me? Look for a fight?.... smile )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
It may be nearly the dullest sport to watch on earth but we've all watched it anyway smile It seems to have the mysterious quality of sending me into a trance like state in which I can let an entire game (or match...whatever) wash over me while for some reason I have not bothered to change channel or even shut my eyes. Strange......figure skating is better though. At least they fall over sometimes wink

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I've played lawn bowls, actually quite an interesting game. Honest!Any, the Brits winning anything is rare. Typical really, quite good at inventing something, but never actually that good at actually carrying it out wink

TEK829member
29 posts

Posted:
My recent thoughts on curling:1. on television: Curling Highlights with Limp Bizkit background music and the tagline "This ain't your grandmother's shuffleboard."2. The thought of anybody thinking, "When I grow up, I'm going to be a gold medal curling sweeper." smile

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs at you. It's your choi

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
anybody know the point of the sweepers in curling? they dont seem to do much to help the rock slide...and i dont think its scottish in orgin, im thinking maybe swedish...[This message has been edited by Whiffle Squeek (edited 25 February 2002).]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
It is Scottish and there are more than 600 registered clubs in Scotland.A set of 16 rocks will apparently set you back about £8,000.The sweepers slightly warm the "pebbled" ice (the ice is sprinkled with stuff to form tiny pebbels on the surface) This allows the rock to glide over the ice a lot further. That is why you see the opposition sweeping near the house - to get the rock to slide too far.That was a thrilling end for the gold medal! Just a few centimetres deciding it!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For me, golf has to be *the* most boring thing to watch!Anyway, I was following the whole Russian complaint filing thing when I came across a writing about curling, and how big it is in Canada, rivaling hockey, which amazed me.And what is the point of curling? To get the stone in the bullseye thing at the end?I would think though, the sweepers have some awesome balance though. I know I'd fall on my face.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
very sorry bendy, it is scottish, i was mistaken...i was confusing my office depot commercials, the one that explains curling, and the one that explains the lutz...its sad when a persons knowledge of things is based of off tv commercials...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
The point is to have your stones closer to the centre than your opposition's stones. You only need one per end, if you have 2 stones closer than the best of your opponents, you get 2 points, 3 stones = 3 points etc.

Drakienmember
49 posts

Posted:
Before I could stop him my housemate switched over to this Godawful TV programme about streakers at sports events.The one that amused me most was the young lady who ran naked down an indoor bowls pitch, in the world semi-final.This got me thinking (and I can see some of you edging away already):How would one streak at a curling match, if the inclination arose?...I'm sorry, went all strange there, again. smile

Posh ravers wear ties.

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
I think my opinion on curling could best be related with a link. www.gaycurl.ca *chuckle*

I smell something burning.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
To streak properly at a curling match, you'd have to run down the ice, jump onto your back and slide down as far as you can, with any luck, the sweepers will see the funny side and start sweeping in front of you smile------------------Bovril - It's liquid cow y'know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
LOL Bovril, that was mt first thought too!Then I thought you could also wear speedskates and go down the lane-aisle-play area and when you get to the end turn around and go.."Oops..sorry, wrong event!" grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele