SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
so get this...i was at the local roller skating rink skating around when i saw a guy spinning some glowsticks around.. and he was doing the corkscew move that i havent been able to nail for a long long time.. so i go over to talk to him.. brought my own glow sticks and he proceeded to tell "ive seen better... you kinda suck" WELL NO KIDDING YOUVE SEEN BETTER..but i hardly suck!.. it was so uncalled for!he was the most unsavory spinner i ever met my whole life.. and to piss him off more i watched him for all of 5 minutes and then NAILED the corkscrew... it was awesome.he began to tell me that the btb weave was impossible as was the one handed butterfly btb butterfly etc.. i said they werent cause i ive seen people do them.. he then proceeded to give me a physics lesson.finally i just walked away i couldnt tkae it any more... has anybody met a person like this? if so how did you deal with it?

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
do the btb weave?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'd use him as a reason to be thankful for all the other great poi and glowstick peeps in the world and here on the net.His attitude means that even if he has some natural talent, no-one is going to like him anyway. Anbd he's not going to learn the "impossible" moves that are oh so possible...BTW physics is a few barrels less than the whole monkey (now that's a wierd saying!). Anyone who actually knows a little bit of physics knows that the current theory's don't fit the world in every case, and when you include all the permutations and things the human body can do that you can't possibly think of to put into a model, then you must know that most things aren't impossible, just really really hard.There was a bunch of theoretical physicists who claimed it was impossible to coast on a unicycle (free wheeling, no feet touching the wheel or pedals).There are now best part of a hundred people who do it, by throwing their body weight into different patterns and keeping balance.The physicists simply hadn't thought of that method...I'd just laugh at him and think, "thanks god most people I know are actually pretty cool people"Cheers------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Actually, pretty much everything in poi is pretty basic physics, at least conceptually. Not that I'd want to write up the equation describing the weave, but the butterfly would be pretty easy I think. If you are going to talk about impossibilities with spinning, then it seems to me you need to talk about physiology and what part of the human body can do what, not physics. Sounds like he was just trying to rationalize as to why he isn't able to do these moves. And why was he doing this at a roller skating rink? I've run into some twerps spinning at raves. Usually the ones you meet are cool, but there is the occasional prick in the lot. I usually don't spin at raves anymore unless I'm being paid to do it (or a cute girl asks really nicely), but if I run across some chump who thinks he's all that just because he has 3 or 4 patterns, then I'll show him exactly how much he has left to learn. Perhaps not the best solution for you yet, but you'll have it someday if you keep practicing. -v-

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
at some point the poor boy was a beginner. Either he has forgotten about how it was, or he is that insecure about how bad he was at that stage that it has scarred him and made him unable to relate to human beings. Shame.... winkR.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
ive met quite a few 'maestro's' doing pois and stuff, its really a shame they kinda miss out on heaps by losing sight of the bigger picture. ive had many people tell me that one cant do a certain move, that its just not possible, the best thing to do is keep on practising and not let it phase u wink 'cause one day they will open their mouth a little bit too much and reveal how foolish they really are

FevaGirlmember
21 posts

Posted:
I would love to come down to calgary and show this guy how to do the btbw and the 1 handed Butterfly. I think I would blow his little mind with the reversal that I do with the 1 handed butterfly! Don't worry about the small minded people that you meet along the way. For all the ones you meet the are many more amazing people to make up for it! I just have to laugh at people like that. :lol Just keep practicing and you will show him up the next time you run into him!fevagirl wink

Peace, Beats, Love and Light!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I am fortunate to meet new twirlers every week. When you *do* meet a tall poppy, I find that a humble approach is the best imho. Mentioning your own repertoire usually triggers them to escalate the bragging. I used to be offended, then one day I made friends with one of these 'braggarts' and realised that they're all right y'know, so long as you make it clear that being a good twirler is less about skillz and more about funski!"How often it is that the angry man rages denial of what his inner self is telling him."-'The Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by Princess Irulan

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Sorcha, I send you a smile and some positive thoughts.I guess there had to be at least one, somewhere, just sorry that you had to meet him.Roller skating rocksRollerskating with poi, I found it real difficult, so respect for that as well.Lots of glovesGlass

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
One thing I have noticed is that the arrogent ones are typically not that great nor ever become that great of spinners in the grand scheme of things. Anyone I've ever met who was REALLY good at poi has been a pleasure to hang out with and very helpful to newbies. I think it must be that if you love it enough to spend the time to truely master the chains (or at least try), then that love shows through when people ask you about it. If, on the other hand, you are doing it just to try and look cool (as people evidently do in roller skating rinks in Canada) you are never going to have the patience to practice long enough and often enough to get "impossible" things like btb weave.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You know better, we know better and that is all that matters. Aside from that, smile, be sweet and polite but matter of fact and make him feel bad he was an ass. winkMy guess is, he is a beginner as well, and just wanted to make himself feel good by making you feel bad. You can't allow his opinion effect you personally. We know you are wonderful and if wants to limit not only the wonderful people he associates with as well as the moves he is open to, you need not worry about that, it is his problem!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Usually I resort to name-calling and hair pulling. winkBut as of last Friday, the btb weave is something that I can do with fire (hooray for me), so I would just show him that smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys!yeah he cheezed me a little.. but i founf out hwere he hangs out now.. *lol*im having hella troubles with all the btb moves so i cant go and show him up yet... frownand most of me doesnt even care to *lol*Roller skating does rock!there was a guyt here that had super brigt led lights in his wheels so when he skated they lit up..i HAVE to have those.. *lol*poi and sakting at the same time is funour skating rink the walls and ceiling have mirrors so you can watch your self.. cant do much with long stings as youd mack someone in the forehead... or get kicked out..*lol*

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.