Page:
MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Ok, I know this is maybe a bit early, but this topic has started to come up in conversation and plans are being made, so its only right to start a thread about it.

Basically, during the summer I work as a canoe instructor in the beautiful Ardeche Gorge in the south of France, and was wondering if anyone would be interested in coming to stay. If you bring a tent (i think) you can camp on site for free, and use our facilities.
We are very much out of the way, but its easy to hitch to the local town (Vallon), or about 1hr walk. The best time to visit is mid July to end of August (but I'll be there from may - sept if those dates don't work).
Interested? Read on...

During July and August the small town of Vallon really comes alive on an evening. Stalls line the streets, and the street performers come out to play. Stiltwalkers firebreath on the edge of the crowds, whilst up in the bar-lined square everyone from singers and dancers to jugglers (& contact) and diabloists (is that a word?!) play and perform. On the next street up from this is an area which is often roped off for fire performers. weavesmiley biggrin

Almost all the street performers are French, but i talked to a few last year and they all seem really nice. I'm sure they wouldn't mind us playing with them.

On a break from the bustle of the small town, it is a short journey to the river. Night time deserted beaches make for perfect spinning/ party spots. And yes, its still warm enough to go swimming in the river on a night! ubblove

Oh, and the people of the area can't seem to get by a week without having an infamous french fete! These always go on early the next day! Alright by us!!! beerchug

Let me know if you're interested. biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
can i come and play?! maybe i could borrow my dads car, and make a road trip!!! yeah what a good idea, anyone want to come in the car on a road trip to see mand?!

hehe , i love driving to much.!! but we could fly for a lot less thinking about it. oh well, count me in!

frodo out

passing through, this world still lives.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
What region is it in?
Can't seem to see it on my map of France. The only Vallon i can see is near Valence?

I'm planning to spend 2 months or so with my Dad this summer, whenever i can't hack work any longer... (which at the moment seems to be asap.)

He lives on the border of the Tarn and Averyron. He runs Gites and if anyone would like to see Mand then pop to see me they'd be welcome! (and you'd get a bed, and roof wont have to camp out tongue)

There's the Cap de Couvert open near Carmaux which is one of Europes biggest sports complex's (can't wait to try it out)

Anyway if you can give me more info about the local area etc.. then i can see if i can pop down on the train? And if you get any time off then you can come and visit?

Alice
ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
why not?! it sounds absolutely lovely Mand... i am back in the uk from other travels mid july so can i come after then? oooh, yay france - have only ever been skiing and on day trips to paris, would be nice to see some more of it. do we get to come kayaking with you too?! ubbrollsmile ubblove ubbrollsmile

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
yeah me and eleanor can help teach!!!

passing through, this world still lives.

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
yeargh!!! that would be so fun! biggrin

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Sorry I cant offer people better accomodation than bring your own tent! If the centre isnt full, I might be able to offer people dorms in the house (big rooms with bunk beds), but can't promise anything.

Pink- yeah its near Vallence- the full name is 'Vallon Pont d'Arc'. If you look on a map, its pretty much slap bang in the middle between Vallence and Montpellier. My mate who also does poi is bringing his car out this year, so it may be possible to come and see you! biggrin

Frodo and El- come on down! Its a longish drive, but its handy to have a car once your out there. My mates flew out and back for £40 last yr (!), so either is good.
Of course you can both come paddling. It'll probably be open canoeing, but we do a bit of kayaking aswell. And yeah, you can help- you can sit in the undercut and pull out any swimmers before they drown! * shivers * Man, I hate getting that job! biggrin

Oh yeah, and i forgot to mention- we also have lots of fit, tanned, and scantilly clad male and female instructors for extra entertainment! spank
Oh, and a swimming pool and a bar on centre. biggrin beerchug

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

headspintotalmember
80 posts

Posted:
hey mand this sounds like a fantastic oppurtunity to go on a cheap break. Count me in for a lift Frodo or if more want to go I would happily follow in my car on a tow by about halfway probably! hug

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Yippee...
It could be kent in the sunshine!
I just cant have 20 or so people staying on site, so we'll have to keep to sensible numbers at any time.
If people stay on centre it's important that they realise its a working activity centre, with LOTS of kids about. The kids disappear at about 11pm, and the noise has to be reduced a little.
BUT, if we have cars we can go off centre and do what we like.
The beach at Vallon Pont d'Arc is a beautiful place, with no one around for miles... ubblove
The beach is also a nice place to sleep out under the stars, and its usually warm enough. I dont think there's any wild boar go here- i've never seen any. There's lots of boar around in the Ardeche. They come out at night, and can occasionally be very nasty. (They got in a fight with a friends alsation. The dog got killed.) I've never had too much trouble with them though (just chased once).

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
Ahh i found you biggrin

Not too far from my dad - his nearest town in Naucelle. How long roughly would you say it would take you to get to Rodez or Carmaux or Albi? (just trying to figure out how long it would take to drive to see you or vice versa).

Have you been to Roquefort yet? Lovely there! went to the caves to see the cheese making and things, all the french were wearing fleeces as they said it would be cold - wasn't cold, was nice if a little nippy, typical english weather. ubblol

Would be great to see you, what months exactly are you there?The longer i stay at this job i'm in the longer i'm planning to stay at my dads. So far i have planned August and possibly July. Thinking maybe June aswell.

ubblove

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
RAH!

i kayaked down the ardeche when i was little. and its awesome.

would love to come back.

pity its about 8hours drive form my mums house( about 4 on the train tho...hmmmm.) near toulouse.

we'll see.... ubbangel

R smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Pink- erm, not sure how far from there. I'll try and find out, and let you know. I go out there on May 9th, until September 5th. Any time during this is good. May-July the place is quieter, with not as many tourists. July-Sept it livens up, the town becomes more party atmosphere, and street performers come out to play.

Bluecat- 8hrs is nothing! 4hrs is even better! biggrin Come and play you old devil! wink

Pink...?BRONZE Member
6,140 posts

Posted:
biggrin sounds great.

Well i'll let you know when i plan to stay at my dad's and things. biggrin

ubblove

milicamember
1 post

Posted:
Hi, holidays in France? Sounds great...hmmmm.
But, I think I need a visa for France. So, is there anybody who could send an invitation letter to me? weavesmiley

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Well I've found this thread again.
I leave to start work at the end of next month, so I won' t be around much after that. frown

Well me and pink talked about all this down in london, and I think I've come up with the best plan.
I'm gonna get out to the Ardeche at the beginning of May, and put the idea of people visiting to my boss. He should be cool about the whole idea, especially as he's a bit of a juggler, but I'd better check.

I'll get on the internet out there, and let people know the score.
I'll post up my address, and leave my mobile number with someone like Frodo. Then people can get in touch with me if they want to come out.
Sound ok to people?

I hope people are still up for coming to play. We have 3 fire spinners on centre so far, and lots of sun booked for the summer,so it should be fun. biggrin cool

I'll keep you all updated. biggrin

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
Mand, I am still up for it girl! But of course only after i get back from my big trip, and money depending and all that. I really love the sound of it though, soooo much! I'll keep in touch too, and hopefully a bunch of us can go out together and visit you? ubbrollsmile

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i'd be up for it possibly (money pending after paragliding of course), if someone is taking a car and we can split petrol/ferry

cheers for the offer smile

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Hey Mand, I may be passing through the neighbourhood during the summer. I'll bear you in mind and keep an eye on this space to see the what's going on...

James
smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Hi there Mand
Ive sent you a private email, but have had no response
We're planning on retruning to the Uk for the summer Festies to perform and then onto Europe in July for the EJC. I/we would be interested in providing shows/workshpos in the South of France at some point after this.
Please email me for Promo Material
Have a great time - Hope to see you there

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Hi there Mand
Ive sent you a private email, but have had no response

Oh, sorry. I got caught up in being quite busy- lots to organise at the moment.
Consider an email on its way. biggrin

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
Hi Mand,
Your place sounds like a dream......i do a lot of camping and festivals in the summer,and it would make a nice change to take myself and 2 kids of this cold island sometime next summer...so my question is,are kids welcome too?(ages 8 and 10)little ubbangels........

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yet another reason to go to Europe this summer. So far the score is:

USA/Burningman 7 - Europe 10

but there's still plenty of time for USA/Burningman to come back and win me for the summer. Depending on how many cute Burners I meet. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Yeah, would be ok for kids to visit too.
It does all depend on my boss, and any new rules they manage to stick us with this year. rolleyes
But if it turns out that we have like 20 people at a time and you can't all stay on site, theres plenty of cheap campsites around.

Will keep you all posted on whats happening.
Main info will prob be posted after I get there on May 5th.
biggrin

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
look for me at some point. I don't know which point, but at some point.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hi Mand,

I live in Paris and the idea of visiting this part of France which I don't know at all sounds very good to me. I'll PM you my info and let's keep in touch while you are there.

Maybe i missed this but... what is the date for that one evening when the city comes alive and all the street performers come out?

Nomad

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You can tell when Nomad has been in France for too long because his English grammar starts to get unnecessarily convoluted.

But I'm sure his French is much better. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
OK, you speak French now, bitch.

;-)

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Now now children! ubblol

Nomad- street performers are there pretty much all summer. Sometimes everyone will be out every night, and sometimes you won't see people for a week or so. Its just the luck of the draw.
Unlike a lot of the stuff I've seen in various places, its not just a bunch of people standing around and spinning. Spinners are just a small part of it all. Lots of it is dancers, mime artists, musicians, an amazing contact juggler (who I hope is here this year), various other people doing really random stuff, and some spinners, etc. biggrin

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

OK, you speak French now, bitch.

;-)

French? Why would anyone speak French? Most Parisian waiters treated me better when I just yelled loudly in English. eek

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Quote:

French? Why would anyone speak French? Most Parisian waiters treated me better when I just yelled loudly in English.

I'll make sure that doesn't happen again. wink

Mand, let's definitely keep in touch while you are down there as i would really love to come down during the summer. Paris sucks you in and any occasion i have to get out of it, i should take.

Nomad

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
We have quite a good internet cafe in town, which isn't too expensive.
I'm planning on spending a lot of time there (it being the only way I can message a certain person ubblove ubblove ubblove), so I'll get any messages posted on this thread.
Also, I'll pm you with my email address.
biggrin

Page: