Forums > Social Chat > HTML/UBB code in signatures

Login/Join to Participate

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hi Malcolm. I just updated my signature with my new homepage address and none of the links seem to be active. Is HTML/UBB code off in signatures? If so how come?Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong - it worked before though.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Unless I am mistaken, they were turned off because some people were using the HTML/UBB code capabilities to advertise websites that are essentially in direct competition with Malcolm, selling fire toys and such. While the competition is not a bad thing, the free advertising is. Malcolm pays a pretty penny each month for bandwidth usage, the store funds this site, esentially. For someone else to come in here and *freely* advertise to get business away from Malcolm is really kind of low, imho. And since Malcolm wants to keep the site ad free (let's face it, who really likes banners and pop-up ads?), the only way to control it is to turn them all off!(Mine was shut down too, and I don't even advertise a competing site!)I can completely understand Malcolm's standpoint from a business perspective and support it thoroughly (as if I have a choice! wink).Did I get that right Malcolm?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
cheers - I wasn't complaining, just curious. I agree totally with you, taking advantage of free advertising is low and like you said, it doesn't take much to copy and paste a link...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude