Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
theres alot of talk about your favorite music to spin to, i know i'm weird but usually i spin with in silence, and although spinning to music is sometimes enjoyable i fine it dictates to much, so i go go back to the bliss of silence. i am alone in this or are there others like me out there?

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
In silence with your eyes closed... winkC

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Just listen to the sounds of the poi's...Thats all you need..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
You're not alone. As Carrey says, in silence with your eyes closed is perfect (and a better way of learning sometimes). Everyone's got their own natural beats and you've got to go with that.The music I listen while spinning tends to have little to do with how I spin, I just like something to listen to while I'm at it.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I usually spin with no music and my eyes shut too, I find it leaves me much more relaxed when I finish.The last time I tried spinning to music, I completely screwed up, unless the music matches the mood I'm in exactly, it just tends to mess up the rhythm I want to spin to.------------------Bovril - It's liquid cow y'know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Yea, I tried spinning to whatever was on di.fm a week ago and I ended up just sitting and listening. Never tried a drum circle though smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
When I spin for Ren Faires I spin to the sound of the wind, the trees...sans music.Admittedly this is partially because technology can not be utilized, but it is really nice. Both have extreme merits. Although I can't do it with my eyes closed, I have too many audience members to be concerned with! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
I usually only spin in the dark (non fire as well as fire) as that's when I have free time and sometimes it's so easy just to let yourself sink into it with no sound but the poi and no light but the moon and hours can pass in spaces that seem only minutes long. Other times it's equally as magical to put on a track that really involves and surrounds you and spin away to that.......it all depends on my mood smileAs for eyes closed - i tend only to do that when alone smile

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Pele, remember having the audience clap for you? *clap* ... *clap* (after 5-10 claps) *clap**clap* (note, no pause)STOP SPEADING UP! grinI like hearing the roar of the fire it sounds really cool.------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you[This message has been edited by Pele'sWhippingBoy (edited 19 February 2002).]

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i do it in the quiet when i can,i like to sing while im doing it...kinda gives a breathing rhythm to tie everything in nicely.........having said that i am partial to the odd beach rave on the full moon...scilence is golden

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
LOL PWB. How could I forget.I encourage anyone who wants a real challenge in spinning rhythms to get an audience to clap for you to spin to. It is a known performance fact wink that a group of general public people's can not hold a rhythmfor more than 10 beats...and some of my performances prove it! It makes for a great joke though! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

purplemonkeymember
8 posts

Posted:
Dude! I first got into poi after seeing some guy spinning at a ren faire. That was last year.. But to get back on topic, silence is the best music to poi to sometimes. Especially outside. I've taken to going to the park on weekends and just closing my eyes and letting the poi move me. All I can hear is the sound of the poi and the wind through the trees, and maybe the sounds of children laughing in the distance. It's very zen-like.

LillyMy finger is an instrument of death!

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
mmm, favorite things to spin to are the wind in the trees, crickets at night, or waves on the beach...god that sounds sooo incredibly corny, but its so true...snow falling is awesome too, but its so damn cold, but i really love the sound of snow falling, its incredible...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Most of the time I do twirl in silence, aside from the odd *whomp, groan!* Just cos I can't be bothered organising music outside.However I usually have music playing in my head all the time. It helps to drown out the voices...

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut