musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Ey,

Just wondering if anyone could help me. I got two lovely little sister cats about 4 months ago. When I got em they were sweet az hell, but now they're pissing all over the house. Serious, there isn't a square inch of the house that they haven't peed on now I think. I've tried _everything_: changed the litter, gotten two litter boxes, punished them whenever I've caught them, tried being more loving, rewarded them when I found them using the litter box, etc ,etc etc. Their well fed, well loved, share the house with a parrot and a rabbit(lets not get into what I caught the naughty one doin with the rabbit eh eek)..Mebbe this is their terrible twos r somethin, but I can't keep them if they keep this up..Anyone have any ideas??

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I "was" going to give a really well informed answer to this... but then you said something about a rabbit and a cat, and my train of thought went right out the window... naughty kitty spank...

ubblol

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

1,148 posts

Posted:
right right wink

very naughty kitty..she keeps goin over to his cage n whispering furtively, looking over her shoulder n such..I think theyre planning to elope

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Together they will spawn a new race call kitbits... hmmm, sounds like a new kitten food??? biggrin

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Oooo something i can help with!!

I have 9 cats (soon to be 8 coz ones really ill frown ) and when we got our kittens about 3 years ago, they did the same as yours are.

Cats are very territorial especially when they are younger and because they firstly have to share their space with you, and then other animals that arent cats, they feel the need to mark their territory.

One of the best things you can do is keep trying with litter trays, put them in the places they tend to go for the most. then when they get used to using them, gradually take one away at a time and move them outside, eventually they should learn to go outside when they wanna go, then when they are used to going outside, just take the trays away completely.

If this doesnt work, go to your local vet and ask him for stuff called Felliway (i think thats what its called). Cats mark their territories in different ways. If one cat has peed on the carpet, thats what the next one will do. If one cat scratches up the curtains, thats what the next will do. And if one cat has rubbed its hormone gland thingys on something, thats what the next will do, and so on. Now this Felliway stuff is the hormones from the glands in a cats cheek, if you clean up the cat pee and disinfect the area, then spray the stuff on, they shouldnt go there anymore.

If all else fails, put them on catheters!! biggrin

Good luck!
tongueeace:

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I don't know if you can find info on the web but I saw a guy on the news yesterday who was a Cat Whisperer!! 4 REAL!! He was well into their body language, apparently to get on socially with them you have to squint your eyes and touch faces. But anyway, have a search, you might be lucky!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

-[ld50]-member
27 posts

Posted:
As an additional bit of info ubbidea - when you clean up any sprayed/peed areas use a biological washing powder solution.
The enzymes in the biological powders break down any scents rather than just mask them. If you just mask them by washing, then your cats will want to remark the area, whereas biological treatments will remove scents completely, especially those that may still be undetectable to the human nose.

Hope this makes sense!

It's just a ride...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Actually my firends take their cats and go nose to nose to talk to them....it works for them too

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

1,148 posts

Posted:
Thnx for all the tips guys! Come to think of it, this house was occupied by cats left alone for a month or so by my landlord(w plenty of food tho), they probly peed all over the house before I got there. Might just have to move out of this house, tho it's already on my list of resolutions this year. Funny gnor, that works for baths w them, I tell em theyre getting a bath, it's goin to suk for a while, but they'll feel better once it's over, then they mrow n go stand by the bathtub ubbloco Anyone know the name of these biological scent killers?

Ars Pyronomica

-[ld50]-member
27 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Anyone know the name of these biological scent killers?

Any automatic washing machine powder that's a biological one will do the trick smile
Persil, Bold, Arial or a supermarket's own brand, just make sure you get the version which is biological, as many washing powders ship in non-bio versions as well.

Just make a reasonably concentrated solution in warm hoter water and scrub the offending area!

It's just a ride...

headspintotalmember
80 posts

Posted:
I have a similar problem with a cat that likes to pee on the bed!
I mean is there a worse place. She does this even if im sleeping in it.
But I have a cure.
1.Only allow the cats part of the house. A small space with a litter tray then gradual increase of space.
2 Buy rabbit a hutch. If their sharing with another species ie the rabbit they will mark for reasons already mentioned such as territory.
3. Castration. Male cats will mark for as long as they are all male.
4. Buy 'Get off' treatment. Pet shops sell this and you just spray it in the most commonly peed on places.
5. Laminated Flooring. Cats wont pee where they cant scratch. So will pee on carpet. litter tray, newspaper etc

I hope this has been of help.
PS. I have bought a new bed, duvet, sheets etc. I DO NOT SMELL. promise!

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
Quote:

3. Castration. Male cats will mark for as long as they are all male.

ubblol

good luck with the kitties, musashii! hug

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
ewwwwwww.....cleaning. mad

Should come in a slack spray form.... biggrin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
If the cats are males, and you don't want to get them neutered for any reason, there is a medication that is prescribed to them to keep male cats from spraying on stuff. I think it may work for females as well. It's called Buspirone(sp). It works really well for this black male persian cat called Veezer. He comes in and boards from time to time and he is on the meds because he is not neutered and the owners can't stand him marking his territory all over the place.

I too have 9 cats and one german shepherd dog at home. Never really had a problem with them peeing everywhere. Sure they would go if they couldn't remember where the litter box was, but usually they would just fight with each other when competing for Alpha positions in the house. It tends to be (at least from my situation) that females; be it dogs or cats, tend to be more territorial and tend to squabble more over who is the Alpha.

But like everybody else said just move the litter boxes to the places the cats tend to use the most and then slowly move them to where you want them to go.

As for the using the bed as a litter box? I don't really have an answer for that except to get after them and maybe keep them seperate from your bedroom. I usually would smack mine on their butts and tell them NO and they usually learned from that a few times.

Good luck though! beerchug

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
castrating cats doesn't stop them from peeing everywhere!!!

I know this for a fact- i've had cats all my life. My mum would have the males neutered, poor things, and although it would stop them to begin with, after a while they would still carry on pissing...

admittedly it was in response to other cats around our house marking "their" territory and my cats marking it back, but it still doesn't contradict the fact that still do it!

cheers for the tips- i will try and convince me mam to stop chopping the balls off the little blighters. ubbrollsmile wave

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.