Dissolved_Boymember
2 posts

Posted:
Hey people! I'm new here, but I've been coming to the site for a few years now, mostly for the wonderful lessons smile Now, I've got a poi performance coming up however - and a question has arisen.

I usually don't firebreathe that often because of the health risks, but for this performance my partner-in-crime has come up with something that is called (roughly translated) "All-natural lamp oil", and is made from some kind of seed that I don't know the English name for. They use it to make alternative fuel that works in some cars, and the plant has yellow flowers...

It says on the bottle, "Not poisonous" - but I would really want to know if it Isn't carcinogenic either. Is there anyone here that has experience and cares to share it..?

Thanks a bunch,
Caspar

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
sunflower seed oil? hmm, mebbe look up the msds for it eh

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Sounds like Biodiesel.

Here's the thing...when you are fire breathing it is not the toxicity or carcinogenic levels you need to be wary of. This is something you should be concerned with any time you play with fire.

When you are fire breathing you need to worry about VAPOR/MIST INHALATION.
No matter what you are using this is dangerous. When I was in the hospital I was told that if I had inhaled cola, I would have had lung issues.
The oil of any fuel we use mist blocks the alvioli (spelling?) in the lungs from properly absorbing oxygen, which then causes infection and illness.

And, just to let you know, it is harder to aspirate accurately and show strong results with this, and other vegetation based oils.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Dissolved_Boymember
2 posts

Posted:
Biodiesel sounds about right... this is more flamable than normal cooking oil, and tastes.... just like very, very old cooking oil wink

Breathing through the nose and keeping the oil in the front part of your mouth helps against vapor inhalation, right...?

Cas

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I suffered from inhalation by inhaling through my nose after an aspiration was over. There was mist that was not ignited still in the air and it blew into my face where I inhaled it, this is always a risk. I know that breathing through your nose is supposed to be safer but it still happens.
Holding the fuel in the front of your mouth is only helpful for proper aspiration.
Inhalation is *always* a risk. What you have to weigh out for yourself is if it is one you are willing to take.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK