Forums > Social Chat > PHP Programming Question

Login/Join to Participate

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Ive been a web designer by hobby for the past 7 years or so. Ive been using HTML almost exclusively the whole time. Recently, Ive noticed LOTS of sites are using PHP and I rather like what Ive seen of it. I was wondering, however, if there are any PHP website editors like Dreamweaver is for HTML. Im all for learning code but Im a more hands on type of person where I like to make something, then go back and see how I made it smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
I think you misunderstand the point of PHP, and how it fits in to the whole serving pages thing. PHP is a fully turing complete programming language, not a markup language. So you can't have an "editor" like dreamweaver in the same way.

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
whazza turing language? never heard that one before, wonder if I kin learn to code sum fully turing languages too ubbloco

Dunno if I'd consider it a real programming language if it _didn't_ have an editor of sorts, even tho I still think it's more of a scripting language..

Haven't tried any o these yet, but lemme know which ones you like eh

PHPed

DZ Soft PHP Editor

Davors PHP Editor - free too eh

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

605 posts

Posted:
Turing completeness means that you can rewrite any program into that language. (this doesn't include, say, interfaces for printing to screen or reading and writing to files, just the pure algorithmic bits). Anything which has any kind of subtraction, jump and store is likely to be (so you can make a single-instruction computer where the instruction is
if(*c=*a-*b) set_program_counter(d)
This is horrid and non-recommended, but it is possible to write any given piece of code with it, not very nice though. There are other silly languages too: Brainf**k, Befunge, Whitespace, Intercal)

In a better explanation, though, if you can implement the Lambda S and K combinators in that language, then it's Turing Complete (because they on their own are).

Enough silliness smile

Luv 'n' Lemons

Arakrysmember
34 posts

Posted:
Well I 've been using PHP for 2 years and I tried several of the more advanced editors, such as Dreamweaver MX, the ZEND tool (www.zend.com), Maguma, PHPEditor.
In the end I always returned to an advanced text editor called UltraEdit (www.ultraedit.com) because the dedicated PHP editors with debug options and word completion were instable, took over my liberty in coding or didn't have the cool options of UltraEdit.

The most WYSIWYG editor you can find is Dreamweaver MX, it has some sort of wizards to do standard code stuff. BUT. As soon as you want make a little modification to it by hand, because the possibilities are limited, you
* have to understand the very succint and therefore mysterious code by the Dreamweaver professionals.
* you have to accept that you cannot use dreamweaver anymore to adapt the code after that.

So there you are, a language you have to write by hand. Personally, I love it. I never liked the Frontpage approach where you could make a very slick looking site in seconds, but as soon as you needed something slightly different: too bad.

'The other language' for doing such things on the net is called Visual Basic and is used on the so called ASP net. I'm quite sure there are programs for that. But frankly, I am allergic to Visual Basic since i made an application for Excel. Horrible documentation, and people are not sharing code but SELLING it. PHP is more like a everybody-happy peace sharing thing.

Beginners tutorials on https://lightning.phpfreaks.com/,
webmonkey.com and zillions of other places. Main manual on www.php.net, but be warned that this is not a tutorial but more like a very good reference.

PS knowing HTMl is VITAL to be able to use PHP. Several script libraries e.g. on hotscripts.com. (Ask a PHP knower to test the security of the script as it is not guaranteed not to make a hole in your security. Especially upload scripts are dangerous)
Complete WEBSITE 'content management systems' in PHP:
e.g. www.xoops.org or www.postnuke.com
PS2: your server needs to have PHP and preferably a database like MySQL ubbloco

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
didn't we decide that PHP is evil in a thread recently?

1,148 posts

Posted:
tru dat ubbtickled

still have to learn it til I'm making enough to host all my sites on win servers, not to mention there are a few tats in it for me if I do

Matt, I thought you meant that horrid prototyping lang eek

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

605 posts

Posted:
Quote:

'The other language' for doing such things on the net is called Visual Basic and is used on the so called ASP net.

I'm very glad to say that this isn't true (or I wouldn't currently have a job) tongue

Luv 'n' Lemons

605 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Matt, I thought you meant that horrid prototyping lang eek

Do you mean this "horrid prototyping lang" ?

Doesn't look like a prototype to me? And python?

tongue

Luv 'n' Lemons

1,148 posts

Posted:
This prototyping thing

Quote:

'The other language' for doing such things on the net is called Visual Basic and is used on the so called ASP net. I'm quite sure there are programs for that. But frankly, I am allergic to Visual Basic since i made an application for Excel.

missed this...VB isn't the only language you can use in .Net..Perl, TCL, Python, C++, C#, COBOL, Pascal...all compile down to the same bits..thnk god there's more than php n .net, dunno if I'll ever go to jsp or javabenas tho

Ars Pyronomica

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
yes please, black, 2 sugars

605 posts

Posted:
You contaminate your coffee with sugar? You sick man, you! tongue

Luv 'n' Lemons

1,148 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I like my sugar with coffee n cream

Ars Pyronomica

605 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol

Luv 'n' Lemons

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Any resident PHP experts around?
Im having a bit of trouble with something and would like a hand.

Thanks

ubbrollsmile

(msn would probably be best)

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
PM on way mate..

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ta

[Old link]

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
things have moved on a fair bit, zend has improved, as have komodo, and phpdesigner, php wizard. you can get rapid previews of the entire built page with them, but mostly running a local apache server, coding in anything you like (I'm fond of ultraedit, notepad++ and sometimes even dreamweaver) and refreshing your actual browser pointed at your localhost server is the best way.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin