Forums > Social Chat > how long did it take you..

Login/Join to Participate

spicychickenmember
19 posts

Posted:
to get decently good at either poi, staff, glowsticks, whatever...and also..how in the world do you pronounce POI! this has been irking me for some time..

Wrenmember
33 posts

Posted:
How do you get good? Well, I shouldn't be the one answering this, because I suck. I will say that you need to concentrate very much at first on your technique with the wrists, make sure your glowsticks/poi are moving in parallel circles. Another very important thing is to keep trying a move over and over again, eventually you'll get it. Poi seems to have a learning curve like an S, so once you get a move right you usually can do it again soon after.Here's something from the Articles section about pronunciation:https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/news3.htmGood luck, and hopefully you can teach me something soon!-------------------WrenKeeping time, time, time,In a sort of Runic rhyme...

-WrenAnd that, my friends, is condensed evil.

spicychickenmember
19 posts

Posted:
poy..hmmm. for some cray reason i pronounced it pwah in my head :]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
How long it takes a person to get good is really subjective. Some people practice only a couple times a week, some for hours every day. There are some who have a natural aptitude for ambidexterous movements, and others have to work on it. Then there are those, like me, who have been at this for a couple years who feel no good at it, despite what others say. So, as you can see, there really is no learning curve. You just do the best you can as often as you want and have fun, and you will do just fine! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
ye I still pronounce it Pwah for some crazy reason and thats also the pronunciation which first popped into my headpwah just sounds more foreigh and exotic and complicated,,,poy is so plain,,,ye it took me about two to three months to get good at it...------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Not meaning to be perverse but it reallt depends on how you define "good".Some people can just do the weave and look amasing as they move with the poi and dance around.Others can learn all the tricks around and look really messy whilst doing it.The wonderful thing about poi ("poy") is that the magics all in the movement. It's all about "The Flow".oooooooo how arty...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
As far as when you're 'good enough' to twirl in front of others... it's all about personal preference. If you feel you're ready and aren't whacking yourself in the head anymore, then go for it!The person who trained me sort of had me hold off until he thought I was proficient enough to perform... we trained for about 5 months without fire then several weeks with fire before performing.I felt good about having a smooth flow to performance and some competency with the tools before stepping in front of an audience... I was glad I waited a bit before performing.Good luck!~*Charly*~www.cabiri.org

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Charly - I envy you for having someone to 'train' you and teach you poi when I have had to teach myself through trial and error. There are times I wish there was someone about to watch, enjoy, learn from and practice with, and also to broaden my movements (even with the most open mind there are some things you don't even think about until you have the oppertunity to watch others)Until a couple of weeks ago I'd never seen anyone else perform, and even now it's only my best friend who's learning alongside me, so I don't know what you would call good. People who see me spin seem impressed but I think they'd be similarly amused even if I was just doing a weave really fast - I have no way of telling what standard I'm at. In a way it's annoying cos I'm real shy when it comes to public, but it also fuels my passion to spin more and allows my style to develop completely individually. I also reckon that I do poi for myself more than for others so when I'm good It's cos I'm doing something I feel pleased and proud of smile

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I wish I had someone who could criticize me, or tell me to try doing something in a different way, y'know, to help my technique. It's really frustrating to teach yourself, but It's also really rewarding when you get a move right after weeks of trying it!I know that I only know a few moves, I think that technically I am sound, but I lack fluidity, and I can't seem to dance/move while doing them, can anyone help? ------------------As voted by you, the viewing public.

Hazels_Melodymember
1 post

Posted:
I think that depending on how long it takes you to get good depends on your... gracefulness, for lack of a better word. Spinning poi came somewhat naturally to me because I'm somewhat graceful and have excellent hand eye coordination etc. When I introduced poi to two of my friends, neither of them could even get a straight, forward spin to look anything but choppy. Yet, I have another friend, who, the first time she picked up the poi, I taught her the chase/weave and she got it on the first try!Sorry, I went off an a tangent there, but like I said, it all depends on your gracefulness and hand eye coordination etc.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
:glances at HM:hmmm, sorry, but i dont think hand eye coordination has much to do with it at all...i for example, cannot catch a ball for the life of me, yet, i have been told that i am quite adept with poi...also, the fact that you can spin for hours on end with your eyes closed leads me to beleive that there is little or no help given to you by your eyes whilst spinning...it does require coordination, but not the hand eye variation...so dont tell people it requires hand eye coordination, it will discourage them and we will lose a potential great to the sport...sorry about the rant, just wanted to make it clear

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
and in reference to the original topic...took me about a year to get to the level im at now, but im not really sure what you consider good, cause people were telling me i was good about 6 months ago, when i all i could do was a 2 beat weave and some butterfly combos, so, i dunno...i think you should base it on when you yourself start to feel that youre good regardless of what other people think, because theres always gonna be someone better than you who thinks you stink, and always someone worse than you who will think youre incredible, so when you feel that youve become good on a personal level, thats when youve become good...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I started almost a year and a half ago. After four months I cold do all the moves listed in the training section (except for btb weave) and I thought I was realy good. About every two months after that I reached a new level and realized that "I sucked befor, but now I'm good". That kept happening until I finaly realized that as long as you keep learning you are going to look back at yourself and realize that you sucked befor, but now you are good. ***!?!?!?*** The only person you should compare yourself to is....YOURSELF! if you can look back and see that you sucked a few weeks or months ago then you are progressing, and that is a good thing. Good is relative, and related to experience (and seeing other "good" people perform) . I guess my biggest revalation is when I saw CoL #1 and realized that we were doing all the moves in the training section, but that it was just the beginning (and we sucked) . Now CoL #2 has come out and there are still new things to learn off of it. (although we didn't suck nearly as bad by then) and hopefully, by the time CoL #3 comes out, and if we make it onto it again, we wont suck (and yet I have a feeling that I will look back on us, and think about how bad we sucked, compared to what we will be able to do in the future....Does any of this make sence, or am I just rambling again? Daniel TylerWMF

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Hey santa, can I print that out and paste it onto my binder? wink Very well put and made me look back at my first video and think about the future.Kinudin

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
It took me all of 4 hours to realize i was good! heh, LOOK AT ME I CAN WEAVE, I'M THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!! *smacks poi on his head*Of course though, it took another 2 months of everyday practice sessioins until i actually got "good" heh.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Sorry to go off on a tangent - but where abouts are you in the UK Ros?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
I've been teaching myself poi for about a month now and think I'm alright, but that's not what I realy want to talk about. After a forghtnight everyone was telling me that I was good smile So last week I attatched flags to my poi and learned a few more tricks and people seem to think it looks worse frown wierd...------------------A wise man once said to me, "Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe!" and in a way, I guess he was right.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It's not how long you've done it for. It's how much you practice. I met a girl the other night in a club who said she had been spinning staff for a few years and, to be completely honest, she was dreadful. She was all over the place and she had absolutely no coordination.Now, it could be argued that some of her ineptitude came from the fact that she was on ecstasy.....but so was I. So I don't accept that as a valid excuse.I can only assume that, although she had been spinning for a few years, she only ever span when she was out in night clubs or very, very seldomly practiced.Whereas I practice 5 or 6 days a week. Often times when nature or work (or whatever) keeps me from practicing I'm thinking about moves and possible moves.If I don't have a staff then I make one out of a mop handle - or random junk found in a skip - and practice with that.Keep practicing, get confident, practice more. Get good. When you think you're good then you're good.And Don't act all superior in front of me with a staff if you can't do anything but figure 8s....I'm not particularly good BTW. I'm just better than that girl.... tongue wink grin------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh