Forums > Technical Discussion > New approach to makeing LED poi.

Login/Join to Participate

Astar
Total posts: 1591
Posted:Has anyone thought of getting superbright UV LED's and takeing one of those UV reactive acrylic contact juggling balls and crushing it into small chunks/chips about the size of maybe chocalate chips. Putting the LED's (maybe 3 per poi pointing in diffrent directions) in a bag or something filled with the chips? It seems like it would be fairly durable (acrylic chips would absorb a lot of energy, kind of like rice filled practice poi) and the LED's would make them glow, probably pretty brightly. I don't know if it would be brighter then other LED poi methods but I think it might be.

Two problems may be a)The chips would still be to rigid especially when compressed by centrifucal force, and you would dislocate your jaw messing up a buzzsaw or something. and b)The plastic ripping.

Another idea I had is onewheeleddaves sock poi with UV LED's in them instead of regular spectrum coloured LED's. white socks flouress under LED light so it should be pretty bright. And maybe you could put the acrylic chips in the socks, or any other UV reactive stuff.

Delete Topic

MillenniuM
MillenniuM

Hyperloops suck

Total posts: 595
Posted:Acrylic balls splinter, I'm afraid you might impale yourself... you could have the nylon back outside of bubble packing stuff outside of acrylic splinters outside of the LED? So the Acrylic would be encased by a layer of softness which can definitely take some abuse... sounds interesting. You could use colored Acrylic balls to make it ever so much cooler weavesmiley

Delete

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)
Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)

resident bagpiper
Total posts: 342
Posted:the uv leds you discuss give off both purple and ultra violet light, where as other leds give off mostly visible light. the total output is the same when you sum the output in all spectrums. therefore, when a UV active substance shifts SOME of that UV to visible, law of conservation of energy kicks in and the total visible light output cannot be greater than the purple+ the UV... ergo accounting for energy dispersal to other forms, the UV poi would be dimmer than comperable visible led poi

sorry, it would have been a great set of poi, if it worked.

slainte mhath beerchug

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

Delete

onewheeldave
Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3252
Posted:Quote:
Has anyone thought of getting superbright UV LED's and takeing one of those UV reactive acrylic contact juggling balls and crushing it into small chunks/chips about the size of maybe chocalate chips. Putting the LED's (maybe 3 per poi pointing in diffrent directions) in a bag or something filled with the chips? It seems like it would be fairly durable (acrylic chips would absorb a lot of energy, kind of like rice filled practice poi) and the LED's would make them glow, probably pretty brightly. I don't know if it would be brighter then other LED poi methods but I think it might be...
Another idea I had is onewheeleddaves sock poi with UV LED's in them instead of regular spectrum coloured LED's. white socks flouress under LED light so it should be pretty bright. And maybe you could put the acrylic chips in the socks, or any other UV reactive stuff.

It'd be interesting to try using UV LEDs to see what the effect is.

Like Mark1 says, it probably wouldn't give a brighter effect than a normal superbright LED.

However, I've heard that, like mains UV lights, the UV LEDs strobe (it's just what I've heard, I'm not saying it's true) and, if they do it should look really nice with sock poi.

My next priority with LED poi is to make a set using the more expensive colours (i.e. blue), so it'll be a while b4 I try anything with UV; but it'd be great if anyone who tries the UVs would post about how they look.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete