Forums > Social Chat > How would someone get started?

Login/Join to Participate

MYMAmember
23 posts

Posted:
I am not sure I really wanna get into this, as I doubt I would be any good, but I was wondering how I would go about getting started if I was interested. How did you first learn?------------------*Live as if you were to die tomarrow, learn as if you were to live forever* ~Mahatma Ghandi*Imagination is more important than knowledge*~Albert Einstein*dream*

*Live as if you were to die tomarrow, learn as if you were to live forever* ~Mahatma Ghandi*Imagination is more important than knowledge*~Albert Einstein*dream*

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
MYMA, welcome. I went into this with a great deal of apprehension as well. I thought I didn't have the right co-ordination or that I was to heavy to do this....and truly I made a list of reasons why I shouldn't try it. But then I saw that it was so much fun and couldn't resist trying.If you don't want to invest money in buying any of the fine quality practice poi for sale until you know you like it then you can make your own fairly easily. Take some old pairs of socks. Ball them up and shove them inside another set of socks. Do this until you have a fairly tennis ball sized and shaped set of sock balls. Next, knot the outermost sock and tie a shoelace through the knot, to hold it all together. I didn't have handles when I first started so I had many bad blisters. Soft fabric or leather strips make nice make shift handles. These are your practice poi. They don't hurt a bit and work just as well as any others, they just don't look as spiffy, but when you are learning, who cares?Next go to the lessons section of the site and work slowly through them. If you run into difficulties with a particular move, come back to it later and try another. You can also seek help through using the search function on the site or asking in the Poi Moves section.If you find poi is not for you, and some do, no big deal. Get a broom stick and try your hand at the staff lessons. Staff is no less fun or invigorating than poi.Once you get comfortable with those introductory moves the possibilities are limitless what you can do.It is a work out. You might feel achey at first. You might get some blisters but when you finally get that elusive move you want to jump up and down with such excitement!! And then you strive for the next move, and the next, and the next...the euphoria becomes quite addictive and after that the feeling of the rhythm and the possibilities brings it's own joy into the mix.But I am biased, as you will find on here we all are, since we do love what we do so much.You will eventually develop your own definative style which is fun to show off to other spinners, and friends and family, and strangers.... smileYou will never know unless you try, and if you don't like it, no harm, no foul...at least you can say you tried. winkMany Regards,------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
The most important thing besides having fun in my opinion is to keep at it. Just as Pele said, you get stuck on one move, just move to another one and get good at that then move to the one you were having trouble with.But yea, keep at it. It's /very/ rewarding and invigorating. (Plus you get a great new set of friends here at Home of Poi (HoP) grin)Kinudin

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
MYMA, and when you get stuck, come over and talk to me, considering you live about five houses down from me... smileim actually thinking of coercing Hitokage into agreeing to do lessons with me, so then we could get a wider base, and plus i think it would be fun...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MYMAmember
23 posts

Posted:
heh, but inorder to get stuck, I would have to know how...I agree, that sounds like fun, but don't mind my lack of knowledge, but, wider base? You have to teach me these things...and thank you Pete and Kinudin, I am always into new things, and I like to try everything. Thanks for the advice. smile

*Live as if you were to die tomarrow, learn as if you were to live forever* ~Mahatma Ghandi*Imagination is more important than knowledge*~Albert Einstein*dream*

Kurismember
13 posts

Posted:
I can completely understand how you're feeling MYMA. I'm kinda having some doubts about whether I should keep at the whole fire-twirling thing as I just don't seem to have much natural talent for it. And then it just totally ticks you off when you're trying to get a move just right, and then your friend trys it the first time and it's instant success. Yeah, it can be frustrating, but keep at it, you're not the only one who's new.------------------Meteors Away!-Kuris

Meteors Away!-Kuris

MYMAmember
23 posts

Posted:
thanks, the only reason I am hesitant is 'cus I am not one of the most out going people, and b/c there are not many twirlers around here, that I know at least.But you never know until you try... : D :

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hehe, MYMA, you know me, and oyu know todd, which means you know all the twirlers in this town!!!youre gonna keep with it, otherwise im gonna bug you till you decide its better to learn than to put up with me...and when i said wider base, i just meant more people...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MYMAmember
23 posts

Posted:
otherwise you'll bug me?That's not a threat. grinwell, i'm gonna try, that's all I can promise...

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Well to rip off 2 of the biggest marketing slogans around:Just do it, and no fear.Hope I was helpful wink

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut