Forums > Other Toys > Crazy experimental untried new toy ideas

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Sometimes I dream too much, here's some of what comes out:

Triple headed fire poi with different coloured fuel mixes on each head. Might be possible (Do a search)

A fire-proof pocket on a shirt so I can casually put my breathing/eating stick in it as a party trick ubblol

A single very long chained poi with 2 sets of opposite direction spinning wicks. Think of the thing on weather stations that measure wind-speed and picture one on top of the other on fire on a length of chain. If it worked, would make spiral patterns along it's arc. Would be spun like the thing that Go-go tries to kill Uma Thurman in Kill Bill with.

A set of LED poi with red green and blue lights that can be set to different flashing patterns and mixes to represent all colours in different patterns. Controlled by a handset with buttons that would enable the twirler to change patterns or colours while twirling. Different patterns could loaded onto the poi from a PC via a USB cable and different patterns could be designed, previewed and saved on the computer. Rechargable

As discussed elsewhere, the double ended fire trident. 6 heads, one hand. booya

A pair of strap-on fire-tipped dragon wings that flap with shoulder movements.

A pair of fire tipped devil horns

A full fire-proof suit so I develop a series of wraps on every body part.

there's more but my mind wanders again umm

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Shandormember
7 posts

Posted:
seen someone almost kill themselves Spinning a dumbell with 1kilo on each end, it started off pretty impressive but didn't last long and resulted in a broken rib,

Shandormember
7 posts

Posted:
I have been playing around with two staffs, conjoined in the centre at right angles so as to make an X shape

so far i have had limited success with spinning, but much fun and progress with throwing and catching and other forms of manipulation. it can be forced spontaniousley into different planes by rapidly changing either one or both of its axis by 90 degrees to the original direction of travel.
results in 3 dimensional patterns instead of the 2 dimensiona patterns of 'normal' staff

also i have been trying rolling it down the wrist at the point where the two staves meet , up the arm, and whilst upper body bent parralell to the floor, over the shouders and down the the other arm.

anyone else played with a cross?

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
anbody ever try a bungee 3 part staff??? bender methinks youd like this one......

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
One of many ideas:

- Fire staff with dowel core in central portion of staff attached to sides with yo-yo type device; FAT Fire wick attachments at either end tongue

Theory is that you could grab attachment and throw it at the start (? at 45 degrees ish) getting wicked effect as fuel span off before making it return... Need to play and develop but you get the idea; gonna be spending some time in the summer developing some of my more crazy ideas along with building my bed of nails (When I will have access to necessary equip, all I need is material; and a bit of loan left) ..

Watch this space

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
good idea psycho!! That'd look cool. And in the dark you could make it look like it's floating like a ghost!!! woooooooooo!!! ubblol

Let's relight this forum ubblove

flamingfrogmember
19 posts

Posted:
I have tried the "Insanity stick" type thingy, the staff with poi on either end....edcept we call it the "Violence", on account of the amount of pain it dishes...man it gets heavy after a while, makes me strong though (that and toting peaople's textbooks around at the library, call me Conan the Librarian)
Have bee trying a half-one of these, like a morning star, easy to use and kinda fun too

A cool idea seen at the circus lately is a staff with kind of a square frame around it

____
| | |
|__|__|
well you get the idea...then you can spin normal-like with HEAPS of flame around the edges

A paradise found is a paradise lost
-E.O. Wilson

My father had a profound influence on me. He was a lunatic
-Spike Milligan

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
yeah i made a couple of them in an effort to help my meteor learning.
one being the insanity stick (yes i like violence for a name)
and the other being more chain and less stick
i made these because the first time i tried meteors i kept losing the centrepoint when breaking into staff spins
ive got better with staff now so im practicing with just chain meteors.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Leatherbloodmember
11 posts

Posted:
fire bolo? the wick is 14 inches with 4 inch of chain on either end which are attached to eye bolts that are screwed into golf balls. You can do short sword,rope dart,poi,and some really fun throws with it.

bones heal and chicks dig scars

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
g'day all...
originalsmit ...the staff with poi ends you mentioned we've looked at, i've got a fire one sitting next to me...we ended up calling it a stoi, for the lack of a better term...nasty if it decides your it..
shandor you were talking about a cross staff? I've been R&D'ing the idea and i have a few nastier variations to look at when i can afford it..pm me, i'd be interested in talking to you about my/your ideas...

i've been wanting to look at a staff in the the shape of either an H or I or even Z / E ?....what do you guys think?

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Quote:

anyone else played with a cross?

yep - been playing with mine for a while ubbrollsmile

I think we talked about potential moves and something called the wheel plane... confused it was a while ago though - very useful thread..... must be around somewhere...

Ahh, here is it
[Old link]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
And I found another thread that's a bit older...

[Old link]

knagiiBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Cross design made simple.. Step one goto the hardware store buy 4 1 1/2 foot 1/2" thick glavinzed steel pipes ask them to thread the ends, also buy a threaded 4 way peice. Step 2 drill one hole in each end wrap with wick and bolt though it. Step three soften center peice by sewing pataches of leather around it. Have you tried any 3-d throws yet?

I have built a Protostar... a.ka. super gehtto 6 point dowel rods , zip ties, and duct tape star . Build two and atach bungee cords to the centers and let the fun begin!

How about back to the idea that started all this with two crosses lay'd atop each other mounted to an axel of some sort so they are firmly attached and spin independantly of each other. Hey let's just make it easy and load the spokes of an old bike with wick! Steel wool if it has mud guards! woo off a cliff into a lake!

Fireball boots and hammer, 24 foot flaming puppet, 8 foot wide ring of fire from bed sheets, Wickedly spiked flaming shoulderplates with propane loaded fireballs, Double bungee stars, <-- wish list Oh and the 20 foot pet bon-fire is great fun. smile

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
ahh Knagii, you always know how to go one step further biggrin

knagiiBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
One Step?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Quote:

One Step?

ubblol

beerchug

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
How about a pair of stilts(5,6 foot and preferably metal) with fire pots somewhere near the bottom or maybe wick put around some where near the bottom .
EDITED_BY: Pvt.VT (1084430176)

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
New toys is an idea, but then again using origional toys and lots of jugglers all using the same ones is crazy. We once had two diabloists doing grinds and me using their spare diablo stick do do devil stick in the middle resulting in a delicate blance being that we we're all tied together effectivly with diablo string. I also saw two diabloists tie them selve together 5m apart and pass diablos down the string. I've also tried for one person staff/nunchucks, nunchucks/plate spinning and plate spinning/devil stick. The possiblities are endless and painful, a tempting combination.

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
i was wondering if anyone has ever built a staff with wicks that hang from the end, kinda like tails. say a 5 ft staff with 3 or 4 ft. tails on each end. maybe you could even design it so you could get the tails to crack like whips. i don't know. any opinions?

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
Closest i can think of is a three section staff with wicks, which is really a weapon five fingered (stolen) from the Shaolin(SP?) monks, where instead of flails you have another two staffs attached at each end buy short bit of chain. Scarest prop ive ever run away from.

195 posts

Posted:
its a tri-section(sam jit gwan, yes; semi stolen from the shaolin, but there is reference to it starting as a "hidden weapon" used by villagers....the idea was to have a weapon that is a tool and therefore not illegal...but anyway...)
i have made a few, we came up with the most spinning friendly...and tad-da...a year on i'm still here, but damn scary...

but roberts the idea has been done sort of....i haven't seen a fire version, but a flags version, then yeah....i will mention though that drag becomes you ultimate enemy and your best friend when using it....hmm....

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
I actually saw this guy spin an umbrella once in Dallas, he did some really cool stuff with it and it made think...What about a fire umbrella! Probably pretty easy to make too. Just buy the umbrella take the fabric off put some wicking on each end and viola!!!! An umbrella that would be completely useless in the rain!

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in to stop my mind from wandering....

195 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fireflye

An umbrella that would be completely useless in the rain!

ubblol ubblol biggrin ubblol ubblol ubblol
yes, it would be...but just imagine grabbing the wrong one on the way out the door....
--------------------------------------------------------------

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: Devilstick_Russell

Closest i can think of is a three section staff with wicks, which is really a weapon five fingered (stolen) from the Shaolin(SP?) monks, where instead of flails you have another two staffs attached at each end buy short bit of chain. Scarest prop ive ever run away from.

please refer to the hop discussion on 3 section staff with regards to the origins of the 3 section. there are some silly stories on websites.
there has been talk of adding fire wicking to a set somewhere also. If you wish for me to upload into the gallery section some practice footage of fire 3 sections, then gi's a yell.

Suffice to sat the 3 section *is* a wushu weapon and hence was not stolen from either of the Shaolin monasteries.

chinese martial arts rock it! thank you Bodhiharma!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
Ive seen a clown do devilstick with an umbrella or Brollie or umbrollie whatever they are called, he was playing the drums aswell inbetween hitting the Umbrella. most annoying thing was i was on next and he stole all the tricks i was going to perform meaning i had to make up my whole act on the spot. Damn You francis! the coolest clown i ever did see.

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
An umbrella and devil sticks while playing a drum in between!!! Wow!!! How did he do that? He must have like 4 arms!

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
You might want to speak to the tePOOKa crew about fire umbrellas... biggrin biggrin biggrin

Anyone there?...

monkeys ate my brain

I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
He was doing tricks with the ubrella as a Devilstick and using his handsticks to hit a cymbal or big drum. he was playing a tune by doing tricks and using his spare hand to hit a drum. like in between each hit of tic tac he would hit either the drum or cymbal. I also saw him sit on a chair on a slack rope while playing the violin as a guitar and the kazoo(SP?)in his mouth. His name was Francis he wasn't all made up with the dodgy make up he was just amazing at weird stuff. Like juggling bouncy balls under a table or stilt walking o really long shoes instead of stilts. Hopefully he'll be at trowbridge village pump festival this year.

FireflyeBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
I'm guessing this is a festival in Europe given your location and all? He sounds like a very interesting fellow, I'd travel overseas just to see something like that. Is he part of a group or does he travel solo? He sounds like a clown from Cirque Du Solei.

I saw this guy at Kerrville Folk Festival spin a small suitcase. He would keep it suspended in air while he walked around it without the suitcase moving and then he would roll it across his shoulders and catch it. He also juggled fire. He was a clown in Cirque Du Solei.

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
has anyone here played with Fire skipping ropes? Do you know if it is possible to twirl single or dual staff, while in the centre of a burning rope or is there not enough space?

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

Dr GreenthumbBRONZE Member
Roll up!, The Doctors in the house!
243 posts

Posted:
Written by: Døm

Quote:

bricks on chains. for working out with. nuff said

Actually, Glass and I are currently looking into producing weight training poi. Although it's top secret and I'm not allowed to mention it. Maybe we should give them to Simian for a month and then the sales slogan will be along the lines of "If Simian can gain muscles, then anyone can!"

wicked ubbidea mate thats one thing i'll be looking out for a way of gaing strength/muscle without losing any of that lovely flexability
keep us postedwhen its ready!

If we all ate one person then i'd be full.

Page: