Forums > Other Toys > Crazy experimental untried new toy ideas

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Sometimes I dream too much, here's some of what comes out:

Triple headed fire poi with different coloured fuel mixes on each head. Might be possible (Do a search)

A fire-proof pocket on a shirt so I can casually put my breathing/eating stick in it as a party trick ubblol

A single very long chained poi with 2 sets of opposite direction spinning wicks. Think of the thing on weather stations that measure wind-speed and picture one on top of the other on fire on a length of chain. If it worked, would make spiral patterns along it's arc. Would be spun like the thing that Go-go tries to kill Uma Thurman in Kill Bill with.

A set of LED poi with red green and blue lights that can be set to different flashing patterns and mixes to represent all colours in different patterns. Controlled by a handset with buttons that would enable the twirler to change patterns or colours while twirling. Different patterns could loaded onto the poi from a PC via a USB cable and different patterns could be designed, previewed and saved on the computer. Rechargable

As discussed elsewhere, the double ended fire trident. 6 heads, one hand. booya

A pair of strap-on fire-tipped dragon wings that flap with shoulder movements.

A pair of fire tipped devil horns

A full fire-proof suit so I develop a series of wraps on every body part.

there's more but my mind wanders again umm

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah and:

Fire Cat o' Nine Tails

Aussie convict heritage and all that

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Check out Bearclawmfg Tedward has the cat o' nine tails. He also has made some fire wings that work. Please ask his opinion on making wings before you build them. He has learned alot about them. As far as the body suit for body wraps. Cotton clothing works. Avoid frayed edges and unless your planing on soaking yourself in fuel first you'll actually be fine. But only do what your comfortable with. My group has invented many new props. One I still want to make is a long wick curved at the end. Kind of a half moon shape.
------0 -chain link
------I I
------I I
-----/ / -wick
----/ /

Like this but more of a curve. It could cause a vortex in the tail creating large fire effect.

Keep the good ideas coming. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

Switchmember
47 posts

Posted:
Fire astrojax!
ubbloco

I kinda ran over his dog, well replace the word kinda with repeatedly, and the word dog with son.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
The bearclaw hula hoop looks crazy. I've seen Carol from Flaming Butterflies do some awesome stuff with her hoop which is 6 wicks on stems coming off the hoop itself, not a full loop like the bearclaw. Seems like it would be heavy when dipped and very hot. How would you dip that come to think of it.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Triple headed fire poi with different coloured fuel mixes on each head. Might be possible (Do a search)

Been done...up to five heads actually. But the colors are not so strong that it is overwhelmingly rainbow in effect.

Quote:

A fire-proof pocket on a shirt so I can casually put my breathing/eating stick in it as a party trick ubblol

I have seen "clowns" put flaming stuff in pockets several times, though not thier torches.
You would need a way to cut the oxygen out of it, and to make it lower on the shirt so that the flames don't come up and lick your face. Leather or wool would work well for it. I have a few things with leather pockets on it. I will let you know how it goes when I try it! wink

Quote:

A single very long chained poi with 2 sets of opposite direction spinning wicks. Think of the thing on weather stations that measure wind-speed and picture one on top of the other on fire on a length of chain. If it worked, would make spiral patterns along it's arc. Would be spun like the thing that Go-go tries to kill Uma Thurman in Kill Bill with.

Huh confused

Quote:

A set of LED poi with red green and blue lights that can be set to different flashing patterns and mixes to represent all colours in different patterns. Controlled by a handset with buttons that would enable the twirler to change patterns or colours while twirling. Different patterns could loaded onto the poi from a PC via a USB cable and different patterns could be designed, previewed and saved on the computer. Rechargable

I don't know about the saving on the computer stuff. Too much tech stuff would be ruined with centripital/fital? force of spinning. However, there are swinging clubs and juggling apparatus which do the color and pattern stuff. These can be made into poi.

Quote:

A pair of strap-on fire-tipped dragon wings that flap with shoulder movements.

Done to death by alot of groups and easily made actually.

Quote:

A pair of fire tipped devil horns

Done, by a few fire groups I know..each thinks they invented it, which is really funny to me.

Quote:

A full fire-proof suit so I develop a series of wraps on every body part.

Done. Stunt men, firemen and Nascar drivers use them. They are 100% full Kevlar which does not burn or absorb fuel and look quite a bit like a mechanics jump suit, only a bit tighter. Cotton will absorb the fuel deposit and burn. Wool is another option but gets toasty. Leather is also another prime choice for this and is what I use.

As for the hoops, you soak them by using a squirt bottle of fuel over a roller paint pan, that way you can pour excess back into the dump. They are not so hard to make either by using a bike tire rim as the base.

It is amazing...if you think you "invented" it you find someone else does it too. My friend calls is simultaneous genious so that no one gets bent out of shape about it...unless of course it is something that has been around for years.

I think that if it is something that could be set on fire, it pretty much has...though I like the suggestions because it challenges me to think who did it and how. smile

What I would love to do (but am not a sculptor and I think that the fumes levels would be too high to be legal) is to do a green flaming Christmas tree. Get a nice metal sculpture base, wick the ends and soak it up....It would be neat for a short amount of time at least! smile

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
on the LED idea aerotech makes meteors lsimilar to what your talking about
only problem is that they are ...75 pounds each
and 30 pounds shipping
really pricy
but you have up to 6 colors to choose from and from a series of taps you can program them to blink at different rates

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Oops, got carried away with the title name. I guess I was refering to "untried" as in by me rolleyes
On different coloured poi-heads, it's a shame that the effect isn't so great, I suspected as much. Maybe double headers with only Boric Acid mix on one and standard fuel(kero) on the other, same on both sides would be good enough. I've done the Boric green fire thing before and made some people think their drinks were spiked.

On the fire proof pocket, I think a lining of used fire blanket would do it, as they are still functional to a degree, but illegal to use as real fire fighting equipment, here anyway. i would snuff it out with a little tap on the top of the pocket to seal the the air off.

On the spinning wicked thing, Don't worry, noone else gets me either. it just meens that I'll have to have the coolest fire toy on my own ubblol

On the LED poi idea, in the head would be a set of lights very similar to those already made. In the handset would be batteries and buttons as in existing products. I'm really only proposing the addition of a connection to a computer and software to "write" your own light patterns. Just the same way as you can make drum loops and music by arranging sounds into a bar then looping and pressing play, but with colours instead of notes. the only additional technology that would go on the poi itself would be a cable attach point or "USB jack" same as you'd see on Digicams and anything else that can attach to a PC. Then theres the software. It's a purely hypothetical thing as it could be done but it's a v. big project to write a program and who'd do it? It's the biggest obstical to this idea working. But the idea of having LED that did any combination of colours and patterns would be awesome.

On Fire wings and devil horns, yes I bet it's been done already. I've seen alien antenna things with fire before on poi twirlers at a show a few years ago. No overhead moves then?

As for the fire proof suit, the firefighters suit etc would be safe yes, but at great expense to mobility I would think. I was thinking more along the lines of conventional workers overalls with some patches of fire proofing, maybe the used fire blanket again.

I think I may have invented a fire toy as I haven't heard of it anywhere else yet, and I've had it for 2 years too. I can't mention it as it's a little naughty and dangerous and only comes out among fairly sane people in wide open spaces. Probably less dangerous than some other ideas but I've ben stopped from posting before none the less.

Fire Chritmas tree sounds very nice. I had toyed with the idea of a fire flower in green and orange that could be made to bloom mechanically. Just an idea on lighting fire sculptures, 1 well placed fire breath instead of many matches behind shielding hands and a slow start.
Please read Pele's fire breathing article and A season in hell before even thinking of fire breathing.

Nearly done, one more new idea:
A full length wicked staff with the fire proof suit and kiln gloves up to the elbow. Only attempable with serious fire proof gear but would be c-c-crazy to do.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Actually Audax
I know exactly what you're talking about when you describe your big spirally fire poi, cause I've done it already. Sorry. frown
The trick is to make sure that the rotating portion of the poi does not come into contact with the chain( 'cause it tangles) and this can be accomplished by having an arrangement like the front forks on a bicycle, within which the spinner functions.

The effects can be very nice, giving a similar look to that of two fire wheels being used at the same time, but they are VERY sore if you hit yourself and any arm or leg wraps will feel like you're trying to twist the limb out of its socket.
Ack, no not very comfortable, no. eek

Takes a while to get used to but they can look truly awsome when you do! cool
Best of luck , beerchug
Martin

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
ey, can yous guys explain this one a little more?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
just a quickie...

aerotech make computer programmable stuff..

you just gotta have the dosh eek

and the know how for programming. ubbloco

R smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Found Aerotech website. Thats nearly what I'm talking about. They seem to to have colours and strobe speeds pre-programmed that can be controlled by a complicated system not involving a computer. They sure look like the best product and I'm sure I'd love set of Glopoi when they come out, but I still reckon that having full control over what patterns (and not just strobes) would be awesome. Also, being able to change patterns while twirling would be heaps better too.

squarefish, It's cool to hear that you've made the thingy I've always wanted. I had thought of the problem of tangles and I thought the solution we be to put the spinny thing onto a longer shaft to keep the wicks away from the chain, What do you think? Do you have pics for the confused people?

musashii, No, we can't. confused

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Squarefish, next time we meet you gotta give me a go. I have visions of lots of cool straight arm stuff on a full sized bike wheel.... ubblove but I assume the wheel must be smaller than that to get any sort of club swinging move shape on it. Unless you're swinging 'em like poi eek how would you keep them in plane...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
if you look closely at your beloved aerotech...you find that setting 1.7 is the computer input one...

the option IS there. but not standard.

biggrinR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I was thinking of makeing a ?. What you guy's think ?.
EDITED_BY: Charles (1073184196)

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
Puk,
Outer rim might have to be metal so start thinking about investing in some chain mail gloves for those high speed catches!
s.fish

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I'd think you would want to avoid metal. . Then you could use leather or some other glove of your choice. The wicking won't immediately burn you where as the metal will.

How about fire spinning plates/bowls. Some of you jugglers out there know what I mean. Not much of a wow factor, but at least a novelty. umm
EDITED_BY: Charles (1073184316)

Cody Canon

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I posted about the way i made a a long time ago and and it was pulled down because basically it's very dangerous. is far harder to control than pretty much any other fire toy as wind gusts can send them into trees, people, vehicles, long grass, dippers, houses... you get the idea. It's exciting to watch so you usually get one superhero who thinks it's cool to hurl it at great speed. Also it's hard to use like fire hacky (footbag) because the object is in front of the flame. Maybe it would be best for all if you stick to LED stuff . I've always liked the idea of Photon Ravns . The one I've made has been around for 2 years and has only been used 3 times really.

EDITED_BY: Charles (1073184496)

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...fire spinning plates wouldn't be too hard.... beard makes an aluminium one that could easily be adapted ubbidea

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Just for the record, ANY sort of mobile fire toy, that is designed to be thrown away from the holder is an unacceptable idea on HoP.

Poi and Torches are one thing, but the intention is for them to return to the hand of the wielder. Anything that travels out of the reach of the wielder is a disaster waiting to happen...

Sorry about the edits guys, but please email or PM dangerous ideas, where they can't be seen by anyone (child or otherwise) with access to the internet...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Not a Problem Charles. I sometimes forget not everyone lives in a desert. wink

Fire spinning plates, lets see. How about rope wicking arround the outer rim. The spinning may make vortexes or tiny fire tornadoes. ubbidea

Concerns: spank
The spinnig plate/bowl is above you. It can fall on you.
You can spray excess fuel horizontally and down.
You'd need a metal bowl/plate, metal burns skin really fast.
Make sure the wick is ballanced.
Use gloves and make sure you can safely bail.

Darn it sounds really cool but it may be too dangerous for the normal public.
Charles feel free to edit me again if you feel it's neccessary. If that's the case please pm me for ideas. smile

Cody Canon

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
spawnings from smits brain

okay so silly ideas

how about a staff with a rope wick attatched to one end like a sort of flail. then with a peice of wick attached atthe balance point of the staff. that right. in the middle of the staff at the exact point you want to hold it.

spark hammer. one big cage of wire wool wrapped in wick doused in parrafin like a sledge head on the end of a counterweighted staff. swing it around fast get the wire wool hot then slide to the counterweight in your hand and SMASH IT ON THE GROUND. sparks everywhere!!!.
lots of protection needed for that one i think. heavy goggles at least.

and this weekends pet project Brick Poi
bricks on chains. for working out with. nuff said

ps. Charles. love your editing. made me laugh so much.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Brick poi?

ubblol that is an awesome idea ubblol

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Quote:

bricks on chains. for working out with. nuff said

Actually, Glass and I are currently looking into producing weight training poi. Although it's top secret and I'm not allowed to mention it. Maybe we should give them to Simian for a month and then the sales slogan will be along the lines of "If Simian can gain muscles, then anyone can!"

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
weight traning poi you say? I have my practice tennis balls weighted with about 80 cents in pennies.. copper weighting good.. I can spin em fast now, so I'm thinking of moving up the scale.. Concrete-filled maybe? Who knows. I originally went for this idea for endurance training, I figured if I could spin these for 1/2 hour straight without losing breath, I could spin my monkey's for 7 mins fine. And it worked too ^_^. Now the same concept is going into making a new contact staff.. heavy blighter that one is.

squarefishSILVER Member
403 posts

Posted:
heXus,
Why not upgrade to lead shot? not as hard as concrete would be, and you could adjust the weight much more easily if required smile

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Quote:

"If Simian can gain muscles, then anyone can!"

mad ooh you've got me riled now tallboy...

you're just upset and bitchy cos i've got the best poi in the world tongue

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
erm wow that must be killah - mr Knoxious telleth me that small boy has poi that are so big i 'spose they could eclipse the sun! or my moon...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Are they bigger than Canon balls? (see my gallery) If so I want to see them. ubbloco

Canon balls = workout
Canon balls + Nancy Boy = concussion
biggrin

Cody Canon

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
probably worth a mention. the first odd toy i ever made.

the insanity stik.
not good enough to have the rather grandoise term 'staff' applied
its a curtain pole 4ft then two chains on either end with fire poi heads on.
bit like a big flail or a meteor with a huge staff in the middle and its good for nothing. comes back on you in evil ways.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

dR pSYcHoSILVER Member
88 posts

Posted:
Quote:

A fire-proof pocket on a shirt so I can casually put my breathing/eating stick in it as a party trick

I like this idea (Pele's points taken on board)..... Hmmmmmmmmm ubbidea

taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco taco Damn those MexICan BANdits taco taco taco taco TACOFICATION taco taco taco taco taco taco

Page: