Forums > Social Chat > Mental health. Can I ask some advice?

Login/Join to Participate

Psylent_BoBmember
13 posts

Posted:
Hi guy's,

I guess I'm not really sure how to start this thread. The advice I'm after is not about my own mental health but that of a friend, and what I can do as someone close to him.

I suppose it's best if I tell the story first and see if what my flatm8 and I did was the right thing.

So last wednesday I arrive home to find a friend of ours sitting in our lounge talking to my flatm8. This friend has always been a little random and has random tangental conversations all the time, but this time it was different. Scarily different. We couldn't really communicate with him on any concious level, we also knew he was not under the influence of anything, before anyone asks.

Questions would be replied to in fluent Serbian (Something no one knew he spoke) or would lead to random sentances about the nature of being, claims to be the anti-christ, and observations about death, destruction, and how none of it mattered because he was an experience of himself that had travel back through time to the egyptian period and seen the way things were meant to be.

All of this was combined with some obsessive behaviour, we found several spoons on his person, which he claimed he needed for ballance as they had both curved and straight edges. He also had trouble remembering what had happened the weekend before (we'd all been to the same party and know what had happened), when we pressed the question he became agitated and aggressive, although never violent in any way.

Now, this happened over the period of about 5 hours, we called friends who were psyciatric nurses and they advised us to call NHS direct, we did this and NHS told us to take him to a hospital. We did this. After sitting in the hospital for another 5 hours (our health service may be free, by hell does it takes it's time!) and keeping our friend out of trouble, the duty psyciatrist told us they would admit him as he had had "an acute psycotic episode", they found him a bed and asked him to come into care, which he did willingly. I was later told they would have sectioned (committed) him if he hadn't come in willingly, and that my flat m8 and I would have had to sign him in. frown

Now as far as I know, he's in a secure unit in hospital on Anti-Psycotics and Anti-depressants, and although concious is still experiencing the same detacment from reality we saw earlier.

I think my friend did know he needed help, and that was why he came to us and never resisted our suggestions at any point, but I can't shake this feeling in my head that we could have done more, and was what we did the right thing?

I'm really shaken by the whole thing, a little under a week ago we were talking as normal and now this... how can someones mind turn in on itself so quickly and so drastically? We know he was under stress, and had problems of his own, but we also thought he was dealing with them very well.

So I'm sat here, and I'm confused, I'm upset, and I'm very worried for my friend, he's been there for me when I've been low, and now he's in a hospital. I'm reluctant to visit him, but I *WILL* be going to see him today or saturday, I just don't know what to say.... ubbcrying

Thanks for listening guys.
Sorry to bring a downer on your Friday.

PsyB.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I'm know it's hard as heell for you at the mo but the hospital was the best thing you could have done for him, unless you know the ins and outs of mental problems you haven't got a chance so don't beat yourself up.
The only thing you can do is be there for him, show him your love and when he's better he'll thank you lots I'm sure!

Good luck hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

KiwiBexmember
69 posts

Posted:
Man, that is really rough. I personally think you did exactly the right thing and I have a degree in psych (not that that really qualifies me to say that!). Sounds like your friend is in a way that you can't/couldn't really do much to help, he needs the experts.....don't worry about what to say when you go to visit him, just be there. He will probably be still pretty out of it when you see him, so keep that in mind. Dont feel bad, sounds to me like you are a quality friend hug

I said perhaps, and thats FINAL.

I love my length!

Psylent_BoBmember
13 posts

Posted:
Cheers Bug m8. hug

Cheers KiwiBex hug

I was pretty sure there wasn't much else we could have done but it's just soo damn wierd to see that happen so quickly and so drastically. And he was happy throughout the whole experience. When someone says "acute psycotic episode" I expect wailing and gnashing of teeth and violence, not laughing, smiling and cracking fart jokes.

It's all got me a little freaked to say the least. frown

Thanks though guys... the hugs help! smile

PsyB.
EDITED_BY: Psylent_BoB (1071228858)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I'm not surprised. I think you did a marvelous job, I doubt most people could have reacted so well.
Here's some love and hugs for your mate hugubblovehug and lets hope he's fit and well real soon.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
When we hear the word psychotic images of serial killers and all kinds of awful things come into our head. This is largely because of the media's representation of the mentally ill as being violent killers. You see it in almost any horror movie. All an acute psychotic break means is his brain couldn't handle the stress so it detatched from reality to cope. Now this could be a sign of a more permament mental illness (schizophrenia for instance) or it could be a passing thing.

I know because I had a psychotic break of my own a few months ago and after wandering around for awhile, ending up in a group home which pretty much tried to polietly kick me out because I was so weird and crazy, I realized there was something wrong with me and admitted myself to the hospital.

There with lots of sleep and an explanation from the doctors why I was acting so crazy the psychosis went away. If I had no intervention I would have ended up living on the streets and id probably get myself in a lot of trouble trying to share my psychosis induced master-theorys with everyone.

Be thankful your friend has you guys as such good friends. You did everything you could do. Your friend will be alright to. Just make sure you visit him because something familar will definatly help. Don't worry about what you say as someone else said, just be yourselves.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You did do the right thing, mate. I've seen patients really hurt themselves...or worse, others, when they've presented with an altered mental status.

He'll get the help he needs and hopefully he'll be back to normal.

Just be his friend, go to visit him, don't try to fix him, and just wait it through. hug hug hug

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Psylent_BoBmember
13 posts

Posted:
Cheers Astar hug
I am definately reviewing my attitudes towards this, I've never seen anything like this kind of psycosis before, it certainly opened my eyes to what can happen and how it can be missed. we actually think this might have been going on for some time and has only got noticably worse in the last week.

And thanks Lightning. I was hoping you'd see this and post m8, may sound wierd but it's nice to also hear from a doctor that we did the right thing. hug

I just hope I can be there for him, and I'm praying (odd for me as I am definately not religeous!) that he'll pull through.

PsyB.

skixgalGOLD Member
26 posts

Posted:
all i can say is that your mate is so lucky to have friends like you:)
my brother ( not by blood but beacsue he s such a close familly mate) suffers from psychotic eppisodes often ( has for 6 years) and all i can hope is that if he has one that his friends are as wonderful as you and get him to help as quickly:)
cheers beerchug

did some one say they saw a flying purple people eater??

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Sounds like you did everything you'd hope a good friend would do. He came to you for help and you calmly dealt with the situation in the best possible way. Sounds like you were there for him right when he needed it.

When you go to visit him just act normal. At first he might still be suffering from psychosis, but on the road to recovery he's going to get confused and embarassed by what he's gone through, so he'll will need your support. Others may avoid him because many people shy away from mental illness, so don't change the way you treat him as he'll need the continuity of your friendship.

I hope your friend recovers soon smile

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
unfortunately, it sounds like your friend may be schizophrenic. i know it seems like it came on suddenly, but that's usually how it happens. how old is he? the first psychotic break for males typically occurs in the early to mid 20's. you did the right thing and got help for your friend. all you can do now is be there for him, as you already have been. if you ever need someone to chat with or want to learn more about psychosis, feel free to hit me up on AIM or MSN or PM me. i've got my masters in clinical psychology and will be finished with my doctorate in may. i'd be happy to help ya out in any way i can.

~pounce
HOP resident therapist smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
Quote:

unfortunately, it sounds like your friend may be schizophrenic. i know it seems like it came on suddenly, but that's usually how it happens. how old is he?

This is possable and if it is, it can be controled very well, but as a psychologest im sure you must know that you must see a client before making a diagnosis it could be something not as bad.
anyways i think its important to remember that you did the right thing and you have showed yourself to be a true friend.
be strong be happy and im sure things will work out..
take care hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug

Psylent_BoBmember
13 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys,

You've all been a real help to me today...

Admitedly I've done no work, but I can't concentrate anyway.
I'm just to lost in what happened and what can be done to put it right.

hug hug hug hug hug hug hug to you all.

Pounce, I've PM'd you, I hope you don't mind it's a bit long... hug

And thanks again. I'm glad we did the right thing, although I don't think I would have thought of it, if it's wasn't for my flatm8. It felt like the right thing to do when we got to the hospital.

I just hope we can help him through this.

PsyB.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

This is possable and if it is, it can be controled very well, but as a psychologest im sure you must know that you must see a client before making a diagnosis it could be something not as bad.

i wasn't making a diagnosis, i was suggesting one possibility, that given the information is quite likely. i never make a diagnosis before meeting a client, but as a psychologist, you do have to have possible diagnoses in mind so that you can accurately assess what you need to.

and i got your PM PsyB. no worries smile i'll PM you back later.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**