Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Fun catch/throw/roll combo, need some input and he

Login/Join to Participate

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Recently I've been practicing some throws and rolls (where you do a wrap but let go as soon as it starts to wrap, resulting in both the poi head and the handle spinning around) and came up with some new stuff. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to further what I've been doing, and I made a mediocre little video showcasing it. Please, PLEASE give me ideas, or go outside and try it and give suggestions as to how to change it, or even questions about what I'm already doing... I know the throws aren't new, but the head-catch to arm roll I haven't seen done before, although I'm sure you crazy kids like dom, pk, poi^3 and arashi have done these blindfolded while juggling pianos. Here's the link:

https://members.cox.net/poivideos/throw.wmv

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I can't see the video but you can do a wrap release type thing from a reverse butterfly. Lift leg go under thigh as the poi hits let go of handle and it quicky pops round the top of your leg to be caught again...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
I have just got into throws in a big way, so i can offer my twopennies worth.

First off: Wall plane (with poi spinning anti clockwise) As you are bringing your left hand back round to the front of and iit is about thigh height just slip a poi under your left leg and 'let go'. I usaully catch the poi as if it was stationary just hanging straight down and go into a butterfly or something along those lines.

Numero dou: Backwards 3bt weave the timing of this is fairly hard but if you get that your on it. I'll start with the weave as its on the left hand side of your body.After the 'over' part your left hand should be free to make a path almost the same as a btb weave transition but this time swing your hand between your legs and let go with a little downward motion to encourage the handle to rotate quickly and straight in front of you. The poi will travel through your legs and not gain height but seems to rotate on the spot and lay into your hand back around the front. (Any sense?)

Trois: Yet another in the wall plane bit harder though with either hand once they are behind your back and just before the poi gets to the top of it's rotation, let go. After a iddy bit of fiddling you should be able to get the poi to travel over your head and slot nicely into your hand and back into the wall plane.

IV: this one is hardish but one of my favourites. back to my trusty 3bt reverse weave on the left hand side again. when you find your left hand 'under' your right. With alot of force throw your handle 'only' straight down. once you have tried this once or twice you (hopefully) will notice that you can kind of isolate throws. Then simply catch it with your left hand now 'over' and breeze back into the weave etc.

Funf:one handed butterfly er...just let go of the one that isn't attached when it's at three or nine o'clock on the ascent. I usually turn ninety and catch it and go into a weave thing.

There's some for now and i hope i haven't just reworded some well known stuff but if i have why are you still reading?eh ? hmm? wink

biggrinTennis biggrin

There's more to this than spinning.
eek

My cat's breath smells like catfood

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Is this a thread on throws or some strange wraps release, roll thing deely? I can't see the vid...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
:looks at tennis:

i think someone needs some juggling clubs for christmas...

i'll ask father christmas for ya smile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Thanks tennis, I'm gonna go outside now and fail miserably at attempting some of the stuff you mentioned. The iso throw sounds great, I can totally understand why it'd work, as the handle counterweights the upward force of your upswing. Yummy biggrin

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Ooh i'll float my boat a little and tell you my favourite one then and i don't think i have ever seen anyone do this before but everytime anyone even thinks that. it has been done millions of times before.
but here you go for those of you who want a challenge wink.
Start off trying this in a forward spin to start with and simply wrap one poi around your foot making sure your toes are facing outwards, so that the wick/head lands on top of your foot, let go of the handstrap and you will do one of those momentum carrying handle round foot thingies.
Now at some point (it's hard to say in writing but you will just know) when the handstrap is near vertical but pointing ever so slightly away from you . kick up, straight up.
The poi heads should then go straight up but the handles should snap up towards where your hands are hanging. catch them and go on to bigger things. wink

Hope that proves fun to someone
and do not hesitate to say you don't get it.

ubbtickledTennis ubbtickled

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
In a few months were going to have contact poi. A hug too the first person who can do a halo roll with there poi. smile
Can't see the video. Damn format. frown

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Would an AVI be a format you guys could see? I'll re-encode it in AVI and host it with a different link, give me 15 minutes.

Edit: Cox is performing mantainance, It'll be a while longer.
EDITED_BY: MillenniuM (1071433869)

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I can see .avi's my computer crashes when I try to watch .wmv though. Thanks.

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
tell me what a halo roll is and give me a day or two... wink weavesmiley wink

Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
https://www.firetwirlers.com/lessons/staff/20

I think I know how to do it with my poi, actually doing it would be another thing. smile

Now show those staff kids whos cooler. spank

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hehe ubbloco

just you wait for col5 achluo....

ubbangelR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Need some Input?

Try This

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.