Page: ...
GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
yea yea,
club swinning snakes is where its at.

I'm learning all I can from Mr josh who has wickely smooth snakes while he is staying with me.
Leant some fullbody snakes sat night
cole get back to your revision
Eeeeeeeeep
Drew

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Snakes are super-sweet I learnt the basic elbow/shoulder ( ) snakes a few weeks ago, but don't have my own clubs yet

Glass, any chance you wanna describe full body snakes?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
You guys have just learnt those snakes sooo fast, I’m envious It’s taken me ages to get a half decent alternating outward shoulder snake going, and I’m just starting to get parallel shoulder snakes.

Here’s an easy (counterfeit) rope snake from mr schatz: Do an outward first half shoulder snake, then take clubs down behind hips and catch in snake grip, take the club forward in front of hip for part of the hip snake, release the snake grip and just throw/take the club up for another first half snake. Try doubles first, then alternating.

The perpendicular snake is a great move. After say doing an outward hip snake or hip spiral you just take the club in between the back of your forearm and body, and take/lift the club up to about nose level, and go into a shoulder snake.

All I can say with those full body snakes is to catch the club in the snake grip as you start an inward shoulder snake, and with the knob end leading do a big sweep in front, then go into the hip snake and the cross btb. Perhaps mr glass or mr josh have some comments on full body snakes???

I have had so much confusion trying to figure out the split-shift. Anyhow, this is how I think it goes. Swinging to the right, both clubs swinging hip circles, in front, in parallel. Then just take the right club behind, and do a circle, then take the left club behind and do a circle. So, the right is in front while left club is behind, alternating but still swinging parallel (same-time) and that’s the split-shift. Then, once you get that going try it in follow time (split-time). Do an extra circle in front with one club to get back to parallel circles in front.

If you are doing the split-shift, and you leave your left club behind for a circle, then bring the right club behind, the you are doing the lower back fountain, opps I mean a btb waist wrap. I think this is where clubs start to differ from poi, as you start doing parts of the waist wrap in snake gip. Has anyone figured out the spiral fountain?

Anyhow, that’s it for today. Catch ya

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
What I was trying to say about the split-shift was you can split the carry, so it alternates in front and behind (same-time or split-time) which opens up things a bit for going into fountains and stuff. [ed. Think I'm talking about the follow-shift here].

The reverse perpendicular shoulder snake offers some interesting opportunities. I’ve just been taking the club behind the arm-pit on the second circle, or doing one and a half circles and then going behind the hip. Real fun mover here.

Pendulums are another club move that is proving popular with poi, and while I have just started doing three quarter circles, there seem to be many opportunities for sneaky changes of direction and passes.

Three quarter circles are fairly straight forward. Start from position, and let the arms do a double inward ¾ circle, and the arms will end-up extending straight out, shoulder high. Fold arms at the elbow for a slap or tipping the club, then back. With the double outward ¾ circle, your right arm folds over your left arm in front.

Till next time

[ 19. July 2003, 16:37: Message edited by: Stone ]

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Zedmember
13 posts

Posted:
Hi! Never posted here before..but somehow ventured into this section. I'm new to all this fireart stuff. I while back i picked up a toy which was a cross between a club and a poi. It's got an end of a club, but you hold it like you hold the poi. Do you get that??
Really interested in finding some clubs with the knob ends! (hoorah for my terminology!) I'm an ex-rhythmic gymnast (a bit like calisthenics) and could transfer most of my gym moves to my toys...except the throws..which sucked..cause the throws are so impressive! I'm in sydney...heading up to byron bay in a few weeks..was wondering if anyone knew a place i could pick me up some clubs..and start throwing and being tricky again!?!?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Arr Zed, you want swinging clubs with knobs. The HOP shop, at this site, has juggling torches, swinging torches (knobs) and the Melbourne made three-piece Concentrate staff; of which knobs can be attached as an accessory.

I live in Melbourne, and our local supplier is Juggleart, who are also online. Perhaps one of our interstate viewers could recommend a place in Sydney or Brissy.

jugjimcosmember
47 posts

Posted:
Hello Club/torch swinging thread. I earlier posted this message in the tech. discussion but this is where I should have written:

Being a newbie I don't know how much you guys are interested in Club Swinging. (I now see there are lots of you ) I swung clubs for a few years before picking up a pole and found I could apply just about every move I knew. Now I use sword and again club swinging and pole spinning inform that. When I use Poi I still think club swinging... I love to try to use swinging moves when jugging 3 clubs (double to same hand to make the time).

I just updated Anna's Club Swinging Bibliography in case anyone is interested:

https://www.semlyen.net/cosmosjugglers/lib/bibcs.htm

Stone points out that the The Art of Club Swinging Video has been withdrawn. I didn't know about that. We have a copy somewhere, its OK but the Alan Jacobs one is much better - but we lost our copy of that

Anna says that if a few of you are interested she is happy for me to scan her book to PDFs and put them up on the site. Been meaning to do it for years as there are no plans for any future reprints. Please reply to this post if you would be interested in downloading a copy (or at least a few chapters if my finger gets tired pressing the scanner button)

Thanks Stone, Ade & Rozi for your replies in the other place. As you are so keen I'll try and get started soon and post here when the first few chapters are up. I'll start with the later technical chapters.

jugJimCos

jugjimcosmember
47 posts

Posted:
https://www.semlyen.net/cosmosjugglers/lib/contents.htm

Five chapters up so far:

Lesson 13 Snake Curls
Lesson 14 Regular Snakes
Lesson 15 Hip Snakes
Lesson 16 Inward Snakes
Lesson 17 Waist Circles and Waist Wraps

Hope they are all OK

More to follow soon...

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
jugjimcos - that is so kind of you to do that - thanks very much appreciated

Stone - saw an awesome club swinger last night, and you are soooo right about the long arm circles. I normally play in a space that prohibits this sort of movement, so getting out and seeing it in action was an awesome reminder of how cool long arm circles actually work. Saw some very funky snakes too

Regarding a club purchasing place in sydney - try the rocks markets, glebe markets or the kite shop in coogee

c ya

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

thank-you!

this is by far the clearest introduction to snakes i have read hip snakes are no longer a mystery.

[edit: just to let you know; page 65 is missing from chapter 17]

[ 17. July 2003, 22:05: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

jugjimcosmember
47 posts

Posted:
page 65 is now in lesson 17.
More to be added in the next 24 hours I hope.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Finally, with a decent connection and some time to spare I have made a few edits, see below.

[ 19. July 2003, 14:25: Message edited by: Stone ]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi jugimcos, good to see you made it, we are a bit out of the way down here

Thanks for putting up the PDF files, and thank Anna as well. We are learning lots from Anna’s snake descriptions, and it was interested to see the slip move and the curl. I've been wondering about them for a while.

I’m reading Schatz’ book, so I’m looking forward to some great discussions on snakes and I have to agree that “parallel snake curls are a very tricky movement.”

I suppose that the first thing to notice from Anna’s figures is the extreme wrist action required for the hip snakes. I know it’s taken me ages to get near them. Anyhow, a few tips for the outward hip snake (HS). Don’t bring the club to the front too quickly. Let it finish its rotation behind, as it kinda falls into the snake grip, then come around to the front. Also, keep the wrist close to the hip/body when going to the front for an outward HS. With the inward HS, keep the wrist close to the body when going from front to behind.

Can anyone explain the front of the head cross for a the inward body snake or sweep? Like, after doing the part where you sweep the clubs up (hand leads knob end) from the inward shoulder snake, when do you relax the snake grip and continue to the hip spiral part of the move?

I do a bit juggling, but I haven’t tried any three-club swinging yet. Though, in preparation I was thinking that juggling clubs/torches would be better to use than my MB swinging torches. Think I will try to include a few flourishes and over-the-back throws to start with. I suspect Glass might know a few advanced tricks.

Hi Ade, long arm circles are go. Seeing some funky snakes must have been a treat. I can’t wait see someone do live snakes. Had a shot with a "cross" the other night, wow, was that an experience.

Finally, to all. Don’t get discouraged if the Club Thread moves a bit slow, it takes time for things to sink in, and many of us are just
learning

[ 15. August 2003, 12:36: Message edited by: Stone ]

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
hey stone, yep, seeing swinging in action is wonderful, very inspiring and a great reality check

you say you had a go with a cross - do you mean a + with wicks on the four ends? I just made some myself on the weekend, and didn't even think about translating club movements to them..... mmmmm... could be a distinct possibility - I've already investigated throws, and there seem to be a lot of possibilities there.

playing with hip snakes at the moment.....

...with my fabulous new clubs that I made on the weekend - a heap better than the plastic ones I had

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
kate and I bought some new clubs yesterday. Have to finish off weighting and decorating them today Yay! I've been about 1 1/2 months without clubs...my wrists were coming back to normal again!

New moves on the way

Josh

jugjimcosmember
47 posts

Posted:
In case you haven't seen already the following chapters are now available:

Acknowledgements
Introduction
How To Use This Book
Warming Up Before Swinging
Lesson 1 Full-Arm Circles
Lesson 2 Forward and Backward Full-Arm Circles and a Pirouette
Lesson 11 Follow Time and the Cross-Follow
Lesson 12 Exploring Parallel Moves
Lesson 13 Snake Curls
Lesson 14 Regular Snakes
Lesson 15 Hip Snakes
Lesson 16 Inward Snakes
Lesson 18 Half and Full Fountains
Putting Together a Routine
Mass Fire Swinging Routine
Ultraviolet (uv) Performance

The missing chapters to be added in a few days.

Jim

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
that's just such a generous thing to have done

thank you for making the time available to do it

thanks

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Good to see a few familiar faces around, and now amazingly we have this great resource to use as guide, thanks to Anna and jugimcos

I’ve had so much trouble getting around the hip snakes because there are a number of variations, and I’ve never been happy with they way they were flowing around the hips. Anyhow, I’ll I have a go at describing what I’ve been doing with them.

I suppose retrospectively speaking, the first thing you need are good hip circles (waist circles). Mine have certainly improved since I started learning hip snakes. The other thing to do is remember is where do these moves come from in the first place. Most likely someone just swinging away, practicing and trying new stuff.. So, I’ll start with Schatz’s outward hip snake, which is a good place to start.

outward hip snake Catch the club in snake grip btb (first bit) then bring club around the hip (second bit). Once the club is around the front it should be in a position similar to Jilling’s Figure 15.2 (third bit). Then start the outward movement and relax the snake grip. Let the club swing the rest of the circle in-front, then go behind again for another.

To me, this hip snake starts as a catch (btb) and release type of action. Eventually, with practice it should become a continuous smooth movement. The advantages of knowing this hip snake are: firstly it’s natural progression of hip circles (waist circles) and this means that you can start practicing hip circles then start to include the snake by letting one hand take the snake grip (btb). This really helps with parallel moves, and I think also with the spiral fountain, which seems to be a btb fountain (waist wrap) where you catch the snake grip in one hand while doing waist circle with the other. Next time, the slip (Fig 15.3) and the clunker

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi all, how are your snakes going? I think it’s helpful to remember some previous advice, that it’s a shoulder, elboow, wrist action. I’ve been a bit slack on the shoulder roll, so I’ve been working on that lately. Has anyone tried the snake in Ben Richter’s book? He teaches the outward shoulder snake with the shoulders straight (T) and uses two fingers on the ball for snake grip.

I haven’t tried this with fire yet, but the “buzz saw” seems fairly easy with torches. U just point with wicks into the centre and rotate for a gyscropic effect. Weaving in between the legs and other body parts would be a good way to increase the impact of a routine. Like in one of those the old training manuals at the Physical Training site see PT Vol 2 Physical Training Apr 2001 Gymnastic Nomenclature: for Apparatus and Indian Club Movements

[ 03. August 2003, 18:20: Message edited by: Stone ]

jugjimcosmember
47 posts

Posted:
All finshed!
Modern Club Swinging and Pole Spinning complete is now available at:

Acknowledgements
Introduction
How To Use This Book
Warming Up Before Swinging

Lesson 1 Full-Arm Circles
Lesson 2 Forward and Backward Full-Arm Circles and a Pirouette
Lesson 3 Forward and Backward Hand Circles
Lesson 4 Two Front Facing Hand Circles with the Ring Grip
Lesson 5 Combining Full-Arm with Hand Circles
Lesson 6 The Popular Reel and Alternating Timing
Lesson 7 Hand Circles with the Ball-and-Socket Grip
Lesson 8 Smooth Transitions
Lesson 9 Horizontal Plane Hand Circles
Lesson 10 Forward and Backward Hand Circles for Limber Wrists
Lesson 11 Follow Time and the Cross-Follow
Lesson 12 Exploring Parallel Moves
Lesson 13 Snake Curls
Lesson 14 Regular Snakes
Lesson 15 Hip Snakes
Lesson 16 Inward Snakes
Lesson 18 Half and Full Fountains
Lesson 19 Essential Pole Moves
Lesson 20 Fancy Moves

Club Swinging Problems and Solutions
Putting Together a Routine
Fire Performance and Safety
Mass Fire Swinging Routine
Ultraviolet (uv) Performance
Equipment
Index of Illustrations
Index and Glossary
References
About the Author

Club Swinging Bibliography

Do let me know if I've missed any pages. I will be adding scans of the cover soon.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I think club swinging is going to save the world.

I LOVE IT!!!!

hmmm I´ll pay for that with a combo I came up with a while ago (I think in Paris?).

You will need to know the full body snake.

Do full arm butterfly-type swings (If I had Schatz I´d refer to the schatz terminology...but I dont have it) where the clubs are uncrossing at the top.

On any given swing, as your hands pass each other at the top instead of continuing the swing, let the momentum of the clubs carry them into a snake grip, and take the snake all the way down to the hip, where after doing the hip snake let them flip out into a normal grip and go back into the giant butterfly you were doing earlier.

You can do it the other way round by simply popping a 1/2 turn in while doing the giant bfly, and then running the sequence backwards.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Josh, good to cu. What doe Schatz say?
Well, Schatz says “If this movement is executed smoothly and correctly it cannot be surpassed for an effective and pleasing movement in fancy club swinging, as the long easy sweeps forms a fascinating figure.” He includes an excellent diagram, that explains the different parts of the move. He also suggests that the move is done slowly. Like, each part takes the same amount of time, as it takes to execute an entire long arm circle.

Catch ya

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi guys!

One of the cool things I worked on while staying with the indomitable Glass was snake variations with clubs.

We watched the Gandini Art of Club Swinging Video which was ok for an introduction into the schatz style moves and a few other combinations. WE noticed however that their teaching of snakes left a little to be desired...

One part in particular got our attention, the asych shoulder snakes, and the asynch parallel shoulder snakes. The timing was way wrong!

Anyhow - if you are having trouble like the girls on the vid with getting the timing of the throw offs try this; Break the snake down into 6 half circles (3 full turns = one rev of snake). Start your first snake counting through with each half rev putting the emphasis on the 1st and the 4th count ie;

ONE - two - three - FOUR - five - six

When you are comfy with that start your other snake on the FOUR count and you should have exactly opposed throw-offs (unlike the girls in the vid). Same goes for parallels and other asynch snakes.

BEWARE! Dark new varieties of Snakes are coming!

Josh

--

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tips Josh, and WOW, snakes from the dark side, yum, can’t wait

I’ve been thinking that it’s probably time to start thinking beyond Schatz, and venture out of the square a bit, perhaps into parallel rope (serpent type coils) snakes (if they exist) or something

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Something I've been playing with lately is direction changes while 1/2 way through a snake, it can add a nice effect if you are doing paralell snakes to the front adn then switch one to a reverse snake while 1/2 way through the snake movement.

bye from India (havent seen any club twirling yet :/)

Josh

--

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Josh, wot no Indian club swinging in India? Then I'm not going! Perhaps, South America.

That's a nice change of direction with the parallel snakes. I'm not sure if this is how it goes, but I ended up with a change of direction from parallel right to parallel left.

Another good point you raise is being able to do the half snakes; as in the first half snake and second the second half of the snake. I've been practicing them a bit, along with a snake in one hand, and a hip or shoulder circle with the other. I find it's helping me learn to get separation (independent movement) between left and right hands. Happy travelling

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi Stone,

Are you going to Earthcore 10th Anniversary? Or perhaps Tribadelic NYE? We will be going to both these parties and Id really like to hook up with you...

I've not forgotten who taught me the snake in the first place mate

josh

--

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks Josh. I will probably make it to Earthcore, Confest or Tribadelic and perhaps Rainbow Serpent. But hey, we would all love to CU down at Eddy gardens (melb) for a spin on a Wednesday or St Kilda on Sunday nights

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Ohh my god I've just discovered club swinging

I'm going to get a club swinging DVD I think because understanding written explinations have left me a bit

Cole any chance you want to share what you know with a Bammy

Bammy

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

Page: ...