Page: ......
PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
nice one stone smile

Its a bit of a challenge to find consistent flowing ways to change the direction of clubs I find. Body taps work a treat smile I also use 1/4 snakes, ie you go in to do a snake, and then as soon as you get to the snake grip you let the club bounce off your forearm back out the way it came in. its real nice done with just one club and going into paralell time smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Spent the first half of the BJC playing with clubs and some ideas to play with....

Sorry if it's nonsensical, the browser crashed earlier....gettting tedious you know the way...

Throws from everywhere. I've not got them all solid but just for ideas. Under legs (wall plane - left / right, wheel plane front / back), under opposite arms, from btb waistwrap postion, under opposite armpit from forward postion. (Josh your btb throws to opposite catches are way easier...)

I ubblove symmetrical throws from btb butterfly waist wrap over body to opposite side. I also ubblove when throwing from any follow time move to try get another spin in before catching, I like using straight turns and catching with arms extended.

I've some variations on [Old link].

Exact same as the linked move but as you have both clubs in right hand pointing left put left hand under right arm and grab the club as righ arm is swinging back to RHS. Difficult to explain, play with it and see what you can do...

Parallel straight arm pendula swing from RHS right hand btb (still straight) to parallel to ground on LHS return other way passing right club onto left fore arms (resting there) as arms pass back to RHS at RHS right hand takes left hand's club and club on left forearm slides into left hand.

You can also place the club similarly on the back of the neck. Try full parallel circle anti-clockwise placing right club onto back on neck / left shoulder. As left arm swing from left to right collect in a similar fasion.

Got more but will leave it there for the minute. Props to Kev and that London juggly lady with the red and black dreads for the inspiration ... cool
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1082651628)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
one for josh:
(and others)
2 clubs,
all wheel plane,
the clubs don't swop hands at all ie all the throws and wraps are siteswop 2's

start one wrong end one right end held as if you were about to start juggling,
roll the wrong end over your shoulder backwards (as a simple staff wrap)
catch it in the same hand by the knob blind behind your armpit.
bring it to the front.
while you were doing that you threw a half with the other side.
and that set you up to repeat on the other side.
continuous.... lalalaaaaaa
bounce2
variation: replace the half-spin throw with a 1.5spin albert this is great as a 1 club trick

or do with 3 clubs as a 423 (4's as 1.5 spin over shoulder roll is the 2)
with juggling (give me a week to get this one solid wink )

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm my new albertrosses meditate

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
sweet mate! smile

I think you need a website - www.trickoftheweek.com

and then give ppl subdomains ie;

www.glass.trickoftheweek.com
www.coleman.trickoftheweek.com

etc

smile

Would very quickly become a wicked tutorial site, and it could cover any manipulation type.

hmm before you guys rev up your new off topic graemlins I'll bring it back to topic;

if you know the oldskool contact staff move that goes; outside to inside upperarm roll -> outside to inside back of hand roll -> inside to outside back of hand roll -> inside to outside upperarm roll

try it with clubs. the halves can be done continous alternating one club on each arm.

Josh

--

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Throws from everywhere. I've not got them all solid but just for ideas. Under legs (wall plane - left / right, wheel plane front / back), under opposite arms, from btb waistwrap postion, under opposite armpit from forward postion. (Josh your btb throws to opposite catches are way easier...)

mmmmm, love throws, love where you can put them ubblove
Once you start playing with them, you have to restrict their use - it's too tempting to out throws in all over the place smile

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hey joshwa try putting those rolls(that you were using for club swinging) in juggling, as the 2 of 423. its a loooooooovely trick, and i've been trying to nail it for some time. now finally got the right hand solid, and am predicting at least another year before i get both hands in 522(i think....)

hugs
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
so consider this;

https://www.jugglingdb.com/news/siteswap.php?site=423

youre talking about putting that roll in where the ball is held for a count?

awesome!

ubbrollsmile

Josh

--

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep.

glass likes to write 42!3.
the exclamation mark shows the 2 is juggled or if used after a different number isn't the normal throw for that number (eg. a reverse or reduced/increased spin, body throw and so on).

a nice couple to get started with:
with clubs - 4 as a double, 2 as a low, fast single spin.
with balls - 2 thrown over the forearm of the hand throwing the 4 (the 2 obviously still caught and thrown with the same hand).

what rolls are you talking about doing - i couldn't find reference to them in this thread?

i've been doing [Old link] with the 2! as a forearm roll (wallplane roll outwards over the forearm, like a variation of the ball trick described above).
still not solid on both sides though frown

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
um - its the classic upper arm, back of hand, back of other hand, upper arm roll that drew taught me. as I didnt learn it from HOP I dont really know where its been discussed?

Its done in wall plane and is quite batonish in style.

confused

thanks for the juggling tips smile

Josh

--

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
the bit i'm talking about is the second half of that.

i have tried the whole thing as the 1 in 441(massive 4s) but its a wee bit nasty....

R biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi guys, thanks for all the juggling tips.

I'm not much of a club juggler, but that could be because my torches are awkwardly balanced or I'm slack rolleyes Whatever, juggling is fun and I think a good routine would include juggling. Now, all I gotta do is figure out site swap. The link to the juggling simulator should help with site swap, though people may need to change the address to get to IJDB.

As the shoulder snake is a 3 circle move (2 front and 1 behind) how do people do continuous alternating shoulder snakes without getting outta wack?

An easy transition from a waist wraps to opposite direction butterfly type moves is the do the waist wrap with the waterwheel (between the legs) and just cross the clubs as you finish the waterwheel and go into a giant butterfly type move.

Cheers juggle

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi Stone;

re the atlternate timed snakes, the only way I've found to get them consistently split timed is to break the 3 circles up into 6 half circles, and count through the turns, empahsising the first and fourth beats...ie One -2 -3 FOUR -5 -6 repeat. Starting the chasing club (I always have a lead hand which is the skilled one, with the bad hand slaved to it when I'm learning) on the Four count.

it takes me a few weeks to get it up to speed, and if I dont keep practicing it, it deteriorates quickly...

but it seems to produce alternate timed circles, you can tell because of the rhythm of the throwoffs.

I like your waterwheel => giant buttefly transition, nice one!

Josh

--

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Hey Stone, I know what you mean about the balancing on swinging torches. I'm beginning to think that juggling clubs may be the way forward for me too as there's way more you can do with them.

I don't get the direction change you explained there at all though. I understand the watermill part of a waist wrap, do you mean a stall of one under the leg?

Incidently you can you do the middle circle of a waist wrap both clubs between the legs.

Quote:

the 3 circles up into 6 half circles, and count through the turns, empahsising the first and fourth beats...ie One -2 -3 FOUR -5 -6 repeat

thanks, I was trying that all wrong smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks Josh, I try 6 half circles and the counting. It makes sense, and I'm not getting anywhere at the moment. I think I was trying to slow the circle behind to compensate.

I agree DSS, juggling clubs could be the go, though there are some Dube swinging clubs that have a reasonable balance. My current torches have cathedrals, and are way overbalanced when they have a full fuel load.

Busted. That was a pretty poor description DSS. But like you say, you can do the middle circle of a waist wrap with both clubs between the legs (I actually thought that was the waterwheel bit). Anyhow, for waist wraps going right and the right hand leading, I do the middle circle b/t the legs. Then, when I'm coming out of the waterwheel, with the right leading, my left wrist comes behind my right, then I reach up with both arms and go into a large outward arm circles. Now, I may stall with the right a fraction, and there are plenty of variations.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
ok heres another newbie for you all, that Drew inspired smile

its a bit involved, you will need to have a good understanding of snakes, and other stuff...

I call it the drop swap or slide swap (same move with different angles) - and I was going to save it for my COL entry, but since I'm not entering, I'll post it here for you all smile

ok.

learning comes in a few stages, lets learn the easy bit first.

Section 1. - The Slide

Stand with a club in your left hand and your other arm bent at the elbow so your fist is resting against your chin (knuckles paralell to floor) and your forearm is level with your upper arm creating a level platform. Now incline this platform slightly towards the floor about 30 degrees.

With your left hand club swing a large 3/4 outer to inner circle in wall plane ending with the knob of the club resting on the back of your shoulders, and the body of it resting on your right arm (inclined platform).

You should be able to release your left hand grip on the club, and the club should sit there, on its platform made from your neck, shoulder and right arm.

gottit? cool.

the next bit is a bit tricky, but its just a knack, and its not hard.

You have to learn how to make the club slide along the top of your arm as you extend your arm and let it slide through your hand (palm facing the ceiling) and grab the handle as it slides past with your right hand. The club should slide down a straight trajectory towards the floor at 30 degrees (or so). Your arm unfolds as it goes.

Ok - so you are asking, how can I get the club to slide from its resting plaftorm?

its all in the body movement I havent told you about yet wink

when you do your inital outer to inner swing you should move your body (not your feet) to the left about 2 feet. Do this by bending your knees and lunging, and having a wide stance. Slow and steady. As the club lands on its platform, start coming back the other way (to your right) accelerating the club relative to the ground. as you reach your top speed release the club and then put the brakes on your body hard. The club will keep going, and slide smoothly down your inclined arm into the able grasp of your right hand. Yay!

Section 2. - The Sneaky Hold

Swap the club into your other hand. Just one club again at this stage folks.

On the other hand you pause on the backhalf of a snake, so that the club is resting its weight across the top of your upper arm and a bit on your forearm (This should look very similar to how the other club looked in its resting position). The knob should be near your chin. Subtly pin the knob between your chin and your chest. You should now be able to release your snake grip, extend your arm (as if the other club were sliding down it) and the club should sit suspended by your chin grip.

can anyone guess what the move is? an Imaginary pat on the back for correct answers smile

Section 3 - Putting it together.

Run through both movements - you should come to a spot where the clubs are BOTH resting on your inclined platform (right arm). Release the left club and initiate the slide, extending your arm. Reach around your head with your now empty left hand and grab the knob of the club pinned under your chin. Catch the other club as it slides through your right hand.

Sneaky hey?

it works on fire, but you have to have it smooth, and you have to have clubs that can rest on your arm without the heads on there.

but what about the drop swap?

Incline your arm all the way to the ground. Do the move. Who needs a slide when theres freefall? smile You ahve to be quick tho, and I dunno about this on fire unless you are really quick with it.

I'll leave you to think up some lovely stylin' to go with this - but there is some o' so lovely body movement and characterisation thats there for the taking smile

I hope you enjoy it. Its been my little baby for a few months.

Possible super hardcore variations;

-do a full 360 wall plane spin on the freefalling club in the drop swap.

-backside elbowjoint catch and flip on the sliding club in slide swap.

-???

Josh

--

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the new slide move Josh, but am I the only one who is going to have to takes days off work to figure it out? wink

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
help... I'm a bit fuzzy round the edges this morning...
Please feed me video.
Its a detailed explaination, But I'll have to come back and read it while holding some clubs
Nothing new to report with clubs...Almost all my swinging is with women nowdays, wink
:swing dance smilie:
Smiles
Drew

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
:reads own post:

confused

ok - private video d/ls for those who are interested.

PM me, and I'll PM you the URL (when its up, in a few days).

Josh

--

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
ok, who else is going to admit that they have been sneaking glances at the gymnastics in the Olympics hoping to see some club swinging?

ubblove

I finally saw some in the artistic gymnastic section (that's what sitting at home with tonsilitis will lead me to do...)

WOW eek

windmills and weaves - sooooo smooth, so beautiful hug

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
lol Ade, yes now that you mention it, I had a faint hope of seeing some club swinging. Anyhow, I love watching the gymnastics and in the rhythmic section I thought the Australian girl was marked down a bit, but the perhaps that was because the other competitors were almost perfect smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i missed it all - they only showed 2 hours of rg in the uk and it was only available to digital tv viewers on the last sunday afternoon frown

on a side note, rg clubs are quite nice for swinging - they have the same type of weight distribution as indian clubs and best of all they're disgustingly cheap!

for people in the yookay there is this website:

givemesomecheapswingingclubsnow.com

they also sell well priced rg balls (for anyone that is interested in getting into head bouncing or large ball contact juggling) smile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that Doc Coleman, but hey don’t those clubs have long________handles. Perhaps, one could expect they would be useful for contact stuff. Speaking of contact, does anyone think of the “snakes” as contact moves?

I mean it’s one thing to do the circles like in the books, but the descriptions seem to lack what I would call a “real” snake twisting movement. I seem to remember someone (sorry, can’t remember her name) saying that the club should look like a bowling ball rolling around the arm when doing the shoulder snake. So, at the moment I’m using my forearm muscles a lot more to manipulate (push?) the club around, contact staff style.

What not to do with snakes; is try the waiter move (horizontal snake) at dessert time redface All I’m gunna say is that ice-cream is really slippery stuff when it’s on a flat white plate.

I suppose the silver lining is that later that night I started practicing horizontal snakes, with a devil stick of all things, when I had the thought that it should be possible to do continuous 4-beat snakes, by going from say outward to inward, and eliminate the throw-off (flickey bit). Hmmm, then again…..

Any thoughts on continuous 4-beat snakes???

smile

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
define 4-beat snake (ie how does it differ from a normal snake)?

Josh

--

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Umm Josh, I sometimes confuse myself. Sometimes???

‘How does it differ from a normal snake?”

Well, I don’t hold the club in the snake grip for all the circles behind the shoulder. I release the snake grip for a “throw-off” before I do the next set of shoulder snakes.

I will get back when I have figured out how to say, what I was trying to say confused

Cheers smile

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi club swingers. Ive just finished a club swinging vid which is being hosted by Strugz at snake handling

it has a lot of snake variations and a few other bits and pieces constructive critisism most welcome! smile

Josh

--

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
First ever club swinging vid I saw josh.

I've never been much of a poi person but you've inspired me to learn clubs.

*toddles off to durbs recomendations for buying swinging clubs*

Love is the law.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Great stuff Josh, nice tricks and good flow.

With the three quarter circles (1:38) just before u transition to opposite direction moves (1:40) you can also put one hand btb for a nice variation with these ones. Then u start an alternating traveling snake (1:42), it’s a bit fast for me to see properly, but u seem to start with second half snake, with the club in front. It looks good, but it’s a bit different to the one I do.

Think we’ll have to compare notes on traveling snakes and spirals. I’ll start practicing, and book a place at your EC workshop. CU smile

Cheers

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
hehe - yeah the alternating travelling snake is a bit of a ubbloco It kinda just came out on vid. a bit like the horizontal snakes - I dont do them normally, I just kinda threw them in there for good measure. gotta work on my reverse horizontal snakes (as you can see in the vid) smile

looing forward to trading moves with you smile

Josh

--

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
clubs are my favourite, only problem is i've got nobody to train with and practice passing with, damn my small community!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Page: ......