• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 1...8910
Stone
Stream Entrant
Total posts: 2830
Posted:Latest Update:

Just discovered a few more club swinging resources:

Simpy Circus Club Swinging.

Plus two down loadable books on club swinging:

Indian club-swinging: one, two, and three club juggling by Frank E Miller (1900). This one seems particularly good with a bit on Snakes and Electric Light (bulb) Club-Swinging.

Indian club swinging : by an amateur - Gardiner, Benjamin (1884)

Update: You can now download a copy of Anna Jillings book "Modern Club Swinging and Pole Spinning" from her site at Cosmos Juggling.

There had been a bit of interest shown in club/torch swinging recently so perhaps it's a good time to start a general discussion on club swinging.

I really enjoy clubs because I like the symmetry of club swinging, and I think they teach you the natural pathways for the body movements required for good poi/staff technique (if you know what I mean).

However, it's taking me ages to learn the proper grips, especially the ring grip, and I sometimes wonder if I'm wasting my time learning the proper grips. I've noticed that quite a few people hold their clubs with the club between the first and middle fingers, and this grip makes it easy for poi like moves. Some club's even have a groove around the knob to facilitate this grip (don't start).

I've always followed Daina the Huntresse'srecommendations "You may have the urge to hold the torch between you first and middle fingers instead of the thumb and first finger, but resist! The ball-and-socket grip will give you a lot move flexibility once you're used to it.

So I wondering what grips are people using, and is it worth persevering with the proper grips???

Update. Some of these links were getting buried so I've moved them up here for better access:

Hop links: Pele posted these links a while ago, and they are well worth reading.

here

here

here

and here

Ade dug out this great post on clubs

Some interesting stuff on waistwraps

Fountain:as described by Diana the Huntress

Some other resources:

Anna Jillings site on clubs and poles

The highly recommended Gandini DVD for club swinging.

Ben Schoenberg's Serious Juggling site

Floating on Quiddity: Juggling Pages for great info on Clubs, Fire Chains, Staff and Meteor.

Martial arts & historic clubs:

There are some interesting historic articles on clubs, wands and stuff here (PT Vol 2) really wink

Indian Clubs

Learn about short power drills. There are also some old videos and stuff if you dig around.

The Book of Club Swinging by Ben Richter, Schatz's Club Swinging book and Anna Jillings book are also good sources.

EDITED_BY: Stone (1209714529)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete Topic

Stone
Stream Entrant
Posted:Hi McMage, thats awesome. I hadnt realised the Schatz book was 100 year old.

Far-out with the Schatz download. I tried that a while ago from the Simply Circus link, but I couldnt get it to work.

Well done scanning the figures from the book.

Great work

Cheers smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete

McMage
McMage

~Clubswinging Snakelover~
Total posts: 16
Posted:Hi everyone!

Thanks for liking my efforts, Stone!

I also decided to add some visual lessons (ready-to-print) Ive made earlier to understand some Snake-moves:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cf...albumId=2646969
br>
They helped me a lot, if there are any questions or suggestions, feel free to ask.

Greets, David

By the way, I have some problems with watching a special video from MSN (Were sorry, this video cannot be played from your current location):

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&vid=d9ad9b39-524a-4935-b489-941348cbcc99
br>
It would be nice if anybody could download or convert and send it to me.

~ClubswingingSnakelover~

Delete

Stone
Stream Entrant
Posted:Cheers McMage, it seems you had those visual lessons up your sleeve all along. They are a big improvement over the original lay out :lol. Great Stuff.

smile

Delete

Stone
Stream Entrant
Posted:Hi McMage, it's quiet in here. Everyone must be still watching all those videos. How the translation going?

Delete

McMage
McMage

Posted:Hi Stone!
(And of course Hi to all others quiet out there!)

Silence has something special and may be shared with many friends!

I think this was just too much.
Well, I could also think that after watching all the videos the others stopped this nice traditional clubswinging, packed their things and went straight to the contact club.

You know, there are some ore even more CC-vids in these lists of 234 links, but I just put them in my CS-folder.
If theres no-one out there doing it perhaps I will make a new list for all these CCs.

The german translation is complete, now Im exercising each lesson to find possible mistakes.
Not only for these of course! Its really great fun, too! Sometimes I cant help laughing out loud recognizing some difficult looking movements from poi-videos.
(I dont play poi more than twice a month and never really invested time in practice, but watching is also fun.)
Also little of my time is spent on staff, but this book is nearly perfect basics (?!) for all spinning or swinging activity. (Time to get on with my tutorial plan.)
At the moment I try to get it on IJDb, if anybody wants a copy, feel free to ask!

So, Stone, you liked these visual lessons? As I said, they helped a lot. Im also able to tape the Figures to my big new mirror (210x110 cm!)
What are you on at the moment? Something worth to be shared?

Thats all for now, time to go to bed. Tomorrow starting with camera-action.

And finally another small list of only 7, but full of contact club torch swinging manipulation spinning balance with juggling.

abcs13cdbndvd juggling trailer - goma -

Ba, Li & Fine - Fine 127 -

Encuentro de malabares Alicante 2007, actuacin Bruno -

Fackelswinging - Jongleur91 - http://www.myvideo.de/watch/4813362/Fackelswinging
br>
Less Juggling - Jakub Janz -

More or Less Juggling - Bri Crabtree -

Vulcan Tech Blog #4 -

Greets, David

~ClubswingingSnakelover~

Delete

Richee
HOP librarian
Total posts: 1841
Posted:Quote:
Schatz is online and available for FREE!
(Possible copyright status: NOT IN COPYRIGHT)

http://www.archive.org/details/clubswingingfor00schagoog
br>
OMG! Nice found..

offline,

:R

hug

EDITED_BY: Richee (1229864090)
EDIT_REASON: Sorting out

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

McMage
McMage

Posted:Hi to all and especially to the HOP librarian!

I dont think they were mentioned before, so just before Xmas here are
some more good old books about (indian) club swinging.

The Indian club exercise by Simon D. Kehoe, 1866 (The complete book, I think) : http://www.archive.org/details/indianclubexerci00kehorich
br>
Indian Clubs by G.T.B.Cobbett & A.F.Jenkin, 1905 : http://www.archive.org/details/indianclubs00jenkgoog
br>
Manual of Instruction in the Use of Dumb Bells, Indian Clubs, and Other Exercises by Morris Bornstein, 1889 : http://www.archive.org/details/manualinstructi00borngoog
br>
Indian Clubs and How to use Them by E. Ferdinand Lemaire, 1889 : http://www.archive.org/details/indianclubshowto00lemaiala
br>
Some have confusing notations, at the moment Im still happy and busy working with the german Schatz.
Richee told me about viewing problems with some pictures, so now I added External Picture Sheets for Schatz, I hope they are visible to everyone:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cf...albumId=2684113
br>
Watch, learn, try and have fun!
Questions, suggestions, critics and/or more links are always welcome!

Greets, David

EDITED_BY: McMage (1229878893)

~ClubswingingSnakelover~

Delete

Stone
Stream Entrant
Posted:Cheers McMage, I was wondering if you have tried to animate the Schatz figures, like in a flick book?

Thanks for the links, especially the one on dumb bells. Unfortunately, I've a bit out of shape so Im getting into training with dumb bells down the gym.

All the very best to everyone for the Festive Season.

beerchug

Delete

McMage
McMage

Posted:To be honest, once or twice I tried to animate some figures, but found that there are not enough small steps between them.

Perhaps Ill give them another try next year and play around with editing some for animations.
(The more I think of this the more I like the idea)

Greets & Happy Xmas, David

~ClubswingingSnakelover~

Delete

Fire_Moose
Fire_Moose

Elusive and Bearded
Total posts: 3597
Posted:So i just got my third PX3 all flouro so i can finally juggle with 3 composite clubs!!! HOW EXCITING!

And to top it off i also got my 2 HB rave clubs which look AMAZING. I just hope i dont have to shell out a small fortune for the batteries.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Delete

Pyrolific
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
Total posts: 3288
Posted:Another club swinging / swing juggling video with nice ideas...mostly not too crazy hard either;

Alberto Gorostiza

I know I'm going to be trying out a bunch of the tricks in there. What with my new found life n stuff.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Delete

steambug
stranger
Total posts: 21
Posted:Randomly came accross this on youtube: Pyrolific: 'Snake Handling' video I'm assuming it's the one you're referring to Josh? filmed under the awesome adelaide bridge smile.

Those snakes are really rather smooth and awesome and stuff grin clap- ubblove are you sure you have normal/ complete bone structure in your wrists/ elbows? tongue2

*wanders off to work on her snakes*

EDITED_BY: steambug (1256388135)

Delete

meshunderlay
meshunderlay

Juggler/Spinner
Total posts: 612
Posted:Wow, Snake Handling, very nice.

Hmm.... Random question, and this could go in multiple spots, but I figure here is the most prudent *shrug*.

I've seen a few people do, what looks like to me, a 3 beat weave while juggling 3 clubs. Couldn't find a tutorial, didn't know if the trick had a name.

When ever I try I just end up doing some sort of 423 pattern and then it just turns into some other trick.

Delete

Pyrolific
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
Total posts: 3288
Posted:Wow cool - you found one of my old videos that I thought was lost in the ether! smile

Synchronicity; I was in the park yesterday afternoon practising club swinging and trying some new stuff...first time in months. Then I come on here and get a reminder of some my old new stuff. Cool! smile

Its going to be an awesome Summer.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Delete

Page: 1...8910