PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Prom and I both palm spin our staves, but the other day we noticed we do it differently.I enter it from a finger twirl and can get the staff to travel around the palm of my hand, from the mound of venus (the fleshy part at the base of the thumb), across the heel of my hand, up the side and over my fingers where I then grab ahold again.He enters it from a two handed spin and gets it to stay somewhat center right where your health line starts on the fleshy part under the middle finger.My question is, essentially, how do other people enter this move? Where is the spin on your hand? What positioning do you feel gives you the most control over this move?Thanks and happy spinning!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Pele,nobody has answered this post yet?oh well - I guess that makes it my duty smileI enter a palm spin from the move that is like a horizontal windmill (with Poi). I use the same hands palm as the hand that is holding the staff. I definitely think that the best stability is found when the staffs central point is directly in the centre of where it sits on your hand when spining normally (the balance point).I dunno if this helps, but as I can do the trick I thought I'd better add my .02c smileHave a good one,Josh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks Josh, now i don't feel so neglected! winkAnd yes....I can see your point, so it helped.Gracias buh-dee!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
i would or replyed sooner, but i wouldnt of been much help.all i do is let is spin around my hand where it gfeels like, i think its usualy in the center of the palm, that slows it down but its keeps it from falling though, where u say u spin it sounds harder to keep up, but would keep the pace going though.

Chris @ Fireworksmember
4 posts

Posted:
Hey Pele, It's been a while. I'm on holidays so i'm not as in touch as I usually am. Josh is on the money. In that position, if the staff loses it's way, you can transition it to your other hand and pull out of it. Try it in the opposite direction too. I can do it with double long staff, like a twin rotor an each hand. Bloody hard though, and you've got nowhere too go if you stuff up. Good for play, not on stage. By laying beyond horizontal, you can hold your arm vertical with your wrist back (Karate style). I believe when everythings centred you have greater control. Balance is it. It looks like it's all good, maybe it's just control.Also take some speed off the staff if you can. It might help with the entry.C,ya,Chris @ Fireworks.

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
josh, whats this balance point u speak of?can u elaboriate on it?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
the point at which your staff balances.Try this - get a piece of fishing line make a loop and tie it to something over head. now stick your staff through the loop. fiddle around with the placement of the loop til the staff pretty much balances horizontally in the loop. that point - is your staff's balance point. when your learning - its best to mark this point with a line of tape or something so you can easily get your hand in place. Twirling a staff correctly is then a matter of adjusting your grip. I'm not sure about the technicalities of appropriate grips for particular moves (although you can bet yo ass there ARE appropriate grips!) you just have to work it out for your self. But now you have the dead centre of your staff marked, it will be much easier to work out what grips work best for you...and training for throws / catches jsut got a whole lot easier too (hint: go for the mark! smilenow when you twirl your staff, that mark should be (unless you intensionally want something different) rotating on its diameter. If it is, you know that your flames will be lining up perfectly in their arcs of rotation smileman I can dribble! but you HAD to ask didnt you??? winkI hope that helps.Oh yeah. I also find that when releasing the staff, it's good to know where your palm is. you got opposing fingers and thumb for a reason ppl! And twirling is it! smile)))Seeya,Josh

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
thanks josh,i already had that marked with blue tape untill i kept hitting my head when i couldnt find the stick in the air, so now its glow in the dark. i though the balance point was a way to hold the stick or something,bugger hey, had it all along and didnt know
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
-smitty