Forums > Social Chat > Twirling Clubs vs Twirling short Poi?

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Kids,Recently I was lucky enough to get some clubs from Malcolms shop and BABY! I've been loving it! I've learned to juggle em, and while at a big festival a month or so ago, Stone showed me how to do a 'snake' with them.Since then I have been twirling and thinking about them a lot. I can do Snakes striahgt out from the sides of my body, and I can get some really weird snake variations in my turns, but I still cant twirl them significantly differently from Poi - although I know there is a style in there which is totally different from Poi.Does anyone share my feelings on clubs...that theres a totally different style in there, if you could only break out of your poi twirling habits?And if so, can you give me any advice about starting out on 'Clubs'?Josh

heather_member
23 posts

Posted:
I love watching club swinging, it makes a nice change coz not many people do it. I really don't know much about the technicalitites of swinging clubs, but the amount of control you have whilst playing with clubs (ie the ability to stop/start one or both really easily) makes for some wicked moves. Definately a whole new stylee.Would love to do club swinging, but I think I'm too stuck in my ways hehe.Don't worry Josh, I have large amounts of faith in your ability to pick up that club swinging thang in no time at all grin

....lurks

Dottmember
29 posts

Posted:
Clubs are great for doing stops and throwing - I find I do a lot of that sort of thing when my wrists are strong enough for club swinging.I tend to swing poi more like a club swinger though...

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
oohh what is a snake??I have clubs, and I juggle them, but do not really swing that often...must try some more...get a bit more multi talented...------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
What is this snake move? I have also just recently gotten into club swinging. My style is still alot like my poi style. Then again after seeing COL2 I have begun doing alot of throws in my poi style. I find club swinging works really well when you have to swing indoors, with limited space.------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.[This message has been edited by Maelstrom (edited 15 February 2002).]

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Josh...I am disappointed!Check Herehttps://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000320.htmlHerehttps://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000118.htmlHere (for tips on making them)https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000445.htmlAnd herehttps://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000109.htmlFor starters. Diana and Charly are very knowledgable on this topic, though not on often at all anymore, so I picked ones where they were involved!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
So Pele, you want a point for that??Or you don't get any since you are just doing your job?I guess we could subtract points from Josh?I know lets just drop this whole point game.Wow thats such a good idea Kate....yeah lets do that. Ok everyone...Tom? Glow? No more calling points. The games old.------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
(Puts on Texan accent)I stand shoulder to shoulder with you on this global coalition against points. This trimvirate of evil must stop.But seriously it IS intimidating, and there are *surely* some visitors who are still a bit uncertain about this whole 'twirling' thing who *will* get put off and rush off to the nearest Bell Tower with an AK."No soup for you!"------------------"He shall know your ways as if born to them"-Fremen prophecy

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
heh - dont be so quick to be dissapointed Pele!Those threads were even more basic than the knowledge I have - and dont AT ALL address the issue I'm talking about. As far as I'm concerned this is *NEW* smileEither I'm totally off on a new twirling tangent or there are ppl that have been through what I'm going through. Now I'm not egotistical enough to think the first is true and hence the question smileWhat moves do you do with your clubs, that arent replicable on your poi? I can do standard fwd snakes, and snakes to the sides at shoulder level. I can twirl them like REALLY short doubles and I can throw them. These things are different to poi. Can anyone else tell me other moves that are different to Poi?Josh

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
i've been eyeing a set of clubs for sometime now but i am having some hesitations whether it would be better to buy a set or make my own. for experienced clubbers who are rather petite people (5'2 and under), did you find that the ball grips on the regular fire spinning clubs (like Mister Babache kind) to be too large to comfortably grip? or too long to do inner arm moves? i love to use short poi (16 inch) so i am guessing that short clubs would also be ideal but if i can avoid the hastle of building my own set (my tools are 2000+ miles away...)that would be good. i've only played with other people's clubs but i have know idea where they came from, the majority of them tended to be a bit big for me though. any advice?as far as club moves i have found that most poi moves can be applied fairly easily but with the added advantage that you can add a greater variation of dance moves because you can pause or slow down a whole bunch. thats nice because i can then apply more of my fan/bellydance/flamenco styles to my fire acts. oooh i want a set of clubs to play with now....

nattymember
14 posts

Posted:
hey melissa. if you wanna try inner arm moves clubs shouldn't be more than 40cm. i use 50cm and leave out inner arm moves. don'try if you're unshure cause it's near to your face. i combine acro and rhytmic gym with clubs. doing arabians or sthg like that. ever tried to do big mula?

###surrounded by natty###

nattymember
14 posts

Posted:
also try Balinese candle dance. it looks rather mystic linked with Belly dance. look for fire dancing and the art of mediative dancing. www.firedancer.at ADMIRABLE GROUP GREAT PICTURES!!!!!!

###surrounded by natty###

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Kate? Already did. Stopped just after my last two posts on the Point Totals thread.I guess my spell of sillyness wore off. However, I think this will become one of those inside jokes for us in the future. Or at least I hope. wink------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Josh, but those referenced places that were specifically about what you are asking, books and sites and stuff, which is why I put them up. Many of the moves they talked about have nothing to do with poi, which is another reason why I posted them. Sorry if they didn't help. My understanding is that one of those books mentioned is the end all beat all type thing...or you could try emailing Diana the Huntress directly. She kindof let go of HoP but I know she's be happy to help!Charly too! smileAs for the point thing, it will still continue as a helpful thing, and it is working as such, now that people have laid off the silliness as gs put it! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Josh, good to see you pushing the boundaries as usual smile. " ..there's a totally different style in there, if you could only break out of your poi twirling habits?" Well, my first thought is there must be, but then both apparatus have many similarities. Like, I asked at JuggleArt for a book on Poi. They said they didn't have one, and suggested I buy a book on club swinging because both arts were so similar. But, as you pointed out, one big difference between poi and clubs is the ability to do snakes with clubs. I would be keen to see what you could do with travelling snakes, and suggest you explore that path for a bit (no pun intended). I know this is not what you are looking for, but I really think people need to learn clubs properly before they can develop a different style, and I suppose traditional clubs are a different style because you don’t move around like you do with poi. "The proper-form for traditional Indian club swinging as far as body position and such is - the 'ideal' club swinger stood perfectly straight and tall, and nothing on his/her body moved except the arms. No swaying, no bending of the torso, just perfect, centered, grounded, movement. It's quite striking and powerful when done correctly" (posted by *Charly* The Cabiri). I have noticed that quite a few people hold their clubs with the club between the first and middle fingers, and this grip makes it easy for poi like moves, and seem to open up a different style. But, I am not sure if this is a good idea or not because I've always followed Daina the Huntresse's recommendations on grips. "You may have the urge to hold the torch between you first and middle fingers instead of the thumb and first finger, but resist! The ball-and-socket grip will give you a lot move flexibility once you're used to it." Advice about starting out on 'Clubs'? Learn the grips. Read/decipher Schatz's book on Club Swinging (first published in 1908), or get a copy of Anna Semlyen's book (see below). I really admire people like Schatz because they recorded all the moves over 100 years ago. There are a heaps of moves, combos and a lot of informatiuon on snakes in Schatz's book. Some of these moves may help open up a diferent style. The detailed diagrams are also excellent. JuggleArt in Melb, sell Schatz's book, for like 10 bucks Australian, so it's not a huge investment (see Other Suppliers). Another idea would be to attend one of the Cosmos Jugglers workshops and/or ask Anna Semlyen about modern club swinging (she wrote the book). https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000332.htmlSNAKES:
Look in the library at Anna's site for info on the basic snake: https://www.cosmosjugglers.co.uk/Have
a good one grin

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Sorry guys, ditto what glow said.Was being silly while doing three assignments for my uni course, it lightened my mood and I'm VERY sorry if I annoyed people. I didn't think I had posted that many anyway.Did I mention I'm SO SORRY..Tom

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Josh, just another thought. Try using some swinging club (round knob on the end) because juggling clubs (where the knob on the end is just to stop the club slipping out of your hand) maybe limiting or restricting your movements. That ball on the end make a huge difference. Melissa, I don't have huge hands and I found Mr. Babaches clubs to be easy to use. However, I would recommend getting/making some practice clubs before purchasing fire clubs because you will probably drop the clubs a fair bit when learning, and you don't want to knock the ball and wick around too much. For cheap knobs check out drawer knobs at your local hardware store. Apparently you can get 1.5" wooden round knobs that works perfect by just drilling the hole all the way through. See this thread for more info. https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000320.htmlHappy
Swinging smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Well I saw Josh do the snake thing and he showed me how, I've been trying to work it with my staffs.Definitely not poi like, the ends flow, but the body kinda folds like human origami! grin

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Just did a post in the Olympic thread about clubs used in rhythmic gymnastics. I am not exactly a follower of the sport, but was wondering if anyone had thought of looking at that for inspiration...?

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut