Forums > Social Chat > Urgent CSS help needed.

Login/Join to Participate

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
If you havent a clue what the title means then dont worry..

neither do I and i have to do an entire assesment on in due in, in two days (well, its 02:30 so its really one day mad)

which helpfully leads me onto:

does nayone know of an idiots guide, for free, on the internet explaining everything about Style sheets.

Guys and gals, this is my one serious post of the year.

I need help.

any ideas greatly appreciated.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Right, for a start, have a look here.

Then, if that hasn't helped, have a look here

Also, if you really feel like it, you could have a look here too.

While I havn't looked at any of these three in much depth, what I've seen looks pretty good.
Enjoy biggrin

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
you too looked on google then?

lol..

thatst he problem..

io have no idea what any of those words mean...

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Somebody hasn't been paying attention in class!

So helpful, aren't I?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
thats a lie.

I havent been in class

:cant find ashamed icon:

automaticforthepeopleGOLD Member
Obama supporter
32 posts

Posted:
Hi,
Not sure if this will be in time to help you, but here goes:

CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets.

It is a way to control specific features of a web page, and make them run faster.

Let's say you always want the text of your web page to appear a certain height and a certain font. You would write a CSS file, and then have your web page point to that file.

Go up to View (if you're using IE). Select Text Size and change it to smallest. Now change it to largest. Notice how the text of this web page stays the same? That's because it is using CSS.

If you view the souce of this web page (VIEW -> SOURCE), you will see a line like this:

That means that the author of this web page wrote a CSS file (you can write it in Notepad), and is telling the page to refer to this small file.

The beauty of it is that you don't have to use any HTML tags for every line of text. This makes your page load faster.

Let's say you wanted the entire page to appear in bold. Instead of having to put tags around all of your text, the file refers to the CSS and makes it all bold. Not having to refer to tags makes your web page faster.

This is just CSS in a nutshell. Go to a web page that doesn't use CSS (say www.google.com). When you change the size of the text, it will get much larger or much smaller. Course, Google is such a well designed, quick loading site that it doesn't matter that they aren't trying to control the text size.

You can use CSS to control a trillion different features of a web page. Take care to use it properly. You can use too much CSS, and that's a bad thing (click https://www.evolt.org/article/The_Wrong_Way_to_Use_CSS_in_Page_Layouts/20/22547/)
for more info on this subject.

Ok, that's it for now. Take care.
Michael

"The storm it came up strong,
and shook the trees,
and blew away our fear."

-R.E.M. "Half a World Away"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
are you able to code it?

as in should i go back to my room, put everythingon a sdisk, get here, work on it and ask questions here?

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
*tut tut*

What do you actually need to know?

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
They're not particularly difficult. Do you want an example of one? The syntax / how they're used or just general information or what?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
My Mom passed her CSS in 1990 with distinction....but that was a Cirtificate in Social Services so I guess she won't be much use!!

Good luck anyway and maybe your new year resolution can be to actually attend some classes next year Mr UCOF!!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Quote:

are you able to code it?

as in should i go back to my room, put everythingon a sdisk, get here, work on it and ask questions here?

yep, it all comes down to a text file..n yes, many of us here would be able to help ya out if you posted more specific questions..

Also, to mebbe try n simplify it for you even more, if you know html, it's comprised of elements, such as , or
..All a cascading style sheet does is allow you to assign a style to specific html elements, such as I want this table to have a 1 pixel black border around it and have a red background.

good luck wink

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
dont worry nout it now guys..

i was getting SERIOUSLY stressed out..

so i went to bed at 7 this morning...had 2 hours sleep, got up got back to work on it..

my mate came round and gave em a huge hand.

so now i understand how to do it.

Panic over.

thanks for offering help tho..

*slaps Custom Bug for the insinuating remark*

wink

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

*slaps Custom Bug for the insinuating remark*
wink

Ooh that stings....but I lurve it! ubblove

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
jon, do you want me to send you a somple css and a site i made at uni! kind of helps to see hwat ppl are atkling about right!?

oh hell ill just upload it for you

*goes off to set it up for UCOF*

runs back in

OK!*puff-pant* its running for you now jon!

all you have to do is go to this link and d-load the assign2.zip file....ok?

what this contains is a site hand built in XHTML to make better use of coding practice, and srv effects, it is ruled by teh cool.css file in it also. The java script online basket is hand built, and works well enough!

please enjoy, (this is a tutor tool only. I take NO repsponsibilty for its use!!!)

and before you guys say it i know i have a thread in the area asking for help on teh same subject, now i diff issues that i could resolve using this example, but it tought someone else, so i hope it helps jon!

later days

Step (el-nombrie)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
cheers for all the help guys!

thankfully, i have been allowed an extra month to get it done by, and the ever so wonderful Mr B. Monkey has offered to give me some help with it as he lives nearish to me.

Thaks once again for all the help people.

hug