Forums > Social Chat > What a thumbs up means to an Aussie

Login/Join to Participate

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Being an American and using this type of nonverbal communication in a positive manner I find this really really funny.I one of my education texts it said that a a thumbs up in Australia is like the middle finger in America. *trys to contain laughter*....*fails to contain laughter* sorry. So I would like to hear from some of the natives. Is there truth to this? And do all the stupid Americans do it be accident when they visit?N8------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Naah, dead wrong, it means the same thing in pretty much all western countries.There is some islands in Greece, however, where it means (roughly translated) "Sit on this!"Undertsandably, there have been a few fights breaking out between chefs and western diners every now and then...PS This is what I 'heard' to, so it might also be dead wrong... grin------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Thumbs up - bloody bonza beauty mate (translation - it's cool man)ade

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
You have the one "thumbs up"..which is cool, wicked..etc.And the both thumbs up "Double thumbs up"...F#$cking wicked Mate, bonza etc!! Double thumbs up and Holding a beer, now thats talent!!In the era of Mr. Shakespeare, do you bite the thumb at the...(or something along those lines, its been a while) It's offensive if you bite your thumb towards someone, not here though, I think it still is in a few European countries, of older origin.But the middle finger here, means the same as it does everywhere get. Get F....Australian Language Lessons...Want to know anymore I am full of Australian slag too, for example:Sheila, Bloke, Howz-i-go-in (have to say that one very nasaly). You stupid galah, Flat out like a lizard drinking. Uo-Roo (sp??) Down the bitamin....oh there are so many to choose from. grin------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Katince...I may not know Aus-speak but I know Shakespeare (that Ren thing)"Dost thou bite thy thumb good sir?""Aye, I bite my thumb to thee."(But I really don't bite my thumb at you...you know I love ya Katinca! wink)------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Pele - I don't know the exact words, but doesn't he say that: yes, he does indeed bite his thumb, but then does not specify that it is at the other dude. The lack of specific definition and the interpretation is what leads them to a gunfight (well in the latest movie it was guns tongue)

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

693 posts

Posted:
Like I said, it had been a while, and I never said I could quote it. Thank you for clearing that up guys.------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
It always surprises the crap out of me when I realise just how many hilarious phrases we learn, growing up here.Do you overseas peoples cop more slang as you drive further away from suburbia?Well, our Bogans here carry on like a bunch of gallahs. And i think every state has their own dialect. like bogans are 'bevans' in queensland - waddya think, Draevon?? I think the other states call a slab of beer a case. (Chuckles unsympathetically.) I love it! but like botox injections, australiana is easily overdone - Screaming "Aussie aussie aussie" used to be funnier before the olympics oversold it!P.S. We only ever speak in slang when tourists are around =).SHHHhhh!------------------"He shall know your ways as if born to them"-Fremen prophecy

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
*sings* Pele loves Katinca, Pele loves Katinca!!!Pele and Kate sitting in the tree, K.I.S.S.I.N......erm, sorry I don't know what came over me. I blame NYC. I thought it was another of them internet romance things blossoming.------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

693 posts

Posted:
C@ntus is jealous...C@ntus is jealous...see two can play childish games.So there...Nerrrr...neeee...nerrrr.....nerrrrr tongueOh I am so funny, it's just not funny...------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Being of the Gothic culture I have to know about literature and history (or so the stereotype says) anyway the Elizebethan (Shakesphereian) thumb biting thing is a way calling somebody, usually a guy, gay. I hope that clears it up for all the inquisitors out there. ------------------A wise man once said to me, "Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe!" and in a way, I guess he was right.[This message has been edited by Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie (edited 15 February 2002).]

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
i call a slab of beer a slab. i think case is an american word.bogans are bogans here too. except for the ones with slightly gothic tendencies (flannel and black lace?). theyre gogans.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
E. Cobham Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, 1898 lists:To bite one’s thumb at another. To insult; to provoke to a quarrel. Do you bite your thumb at me? Do you mean to insult me? The way of expressing defiance and contempt was by snapping the finger or putting the thumb in the mouth. Both these acts are termed a fico, whence our expressions “Not worth a fig,” “I don’t care a fig for you.” Decker, describing St. Paul’s Walk, speaks of the biting of thumbs to beget quarrels: (See GLOVE.) 4 “I see Contempt marching forth, giving mee the fico with his thombe in his mouth.”—Wits Miserie (1596). “I will bite my thumb at them; which is a disgrace to them, if they bear it.”—Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet, i. 1.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
To me a slab is only a slab if it is a plastic wrapped cardboard tray of cans. eg coke, beer whatever. Otherwise everyone here calls it a carton.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
In Sydney,NSW we say either: slab of beer/case or carton of piss. How did we ever get together in Federation, if we can't even agree on what our beer comes in? (BTW - do you call it a schooner or a pot grin )

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
i fequently use the words"sod off!" "piss off" "bugger off""bloody-o" "doof" "sick" etc.here in canada no one knows that the hell your talking about..heh heh hehwhen you say "sod off" its mistook for "saw it off" which is funny all on it own,,

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi N8,I suggest your the text is probably old and dated, because once upon a time, in say the mid 70's, using a thumbs up was equivalent to using the rude finger. At the time people used to put the thumb out to hitch a ride, but because this action became rude (and I think it also became illegal) hitchhikers changed to using other fingers to hitch a ride. Maybe I have watched too many epic gladiator type movies, but I always felt the thumbs up or down thing came from the Roman coliseum when Caesar would give the thumbs up, for a good performance and let the gladiator/slave/Christian live, or thumbs down and the gladiator/slave/Christian would be executed. Today, as in Roman times, a thumbs up in Australia means good or great, and is often used to convey this sentiment from a distance. smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Well actually stone, it is very possible that in roman times, a thumbs down meant live and thumbs up meant die.Historians tell us that it is impossible to tell from the artifacts that show the gladitorial combat which meant which.It was during the making of a very old movie about the roman games, that an executive decsision was made, so that thumbs up is thumbs up. Just another way that hollywood has influenced our lives. winkAnd as for aussie jargon, "ripper beauty bottler bonzer corker Maaaaate" this means "oh jolly good show ol bean" in england, and "dude that was fully sick awesome bro" in america smileCheersAPB

Good on usGood on us all

MYMAmember
23 posts

Posted:
how often do you give "thumbs-up" now a days?I havn't seen anyone do it without being laughed at (or with) in a while...

*Live as if you were to die tomarrow, learn as if you were to live forever* ~Mahatma Ghandi*Imagination is more important than knowledge*~Albert Einstein*dream*

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
SCUBA divers use the thumbs up to signify the need to (or agree to) return to the surface. The "A-ok!" thing that looks like a bunny shadow puppet is used for the "good stuff" sign.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Yeah but the other scuba divers might be laughing at his thumbs up. You couldn't tell whilst they have their equipment on....*Tiptoes quietly away*[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 17 March 2002).]

Meh

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
I heard that the word 'Roots' is also like a slang for fuck offand when the olympics were in Sydney everyone was buying the roots shirts from canada,,,is that true...mates wink------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Root is a fairly innocent term that can replace fuck in most situations. "This thing is rooted" means it is stuffed, broken, just all-round-bad; "Who did you root last night?" means who did you sleep with last night etc.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Ahh, rooted, many uses indeed, as Bendy's already mentioned, but two of my favourite uses are:If I'm rooting around for something, I'm having a gander, a look.If I'm rooted, then I'm exhausted.But yeah, if it's rooted, it pretty well f%^cked.Can't really think of a time when I'd use the plural.... ('tis early though wink)

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Nah dude, a schooner's like bigger than a pot glass and smaller than a pint glass. I fink.Don't ask me to back that up cos from St Patrick's day has me head all rooted *sniggers*BTW Does anyone call it 'to skull a beer' when you gulp down whatever amount you have in front of you? Oh gawd it hurts just thinking about it right now./slumps forward at work."I have't had a **nt all night, Mr drinkstable!"

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
Hey has anyone ever heard George Carlins 'Usage of the work F&*K' it is very very funny because it is so very true.Download it using Morpheous or Kazaa

Simply an excuse to play with fire.