Forums > Social Chat > I have an excelent question!

Login/Join to Participate

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
How many people want to take wagers as to how long this point thing is going to last before everyone gets pissed at each other?DEFINITELY no offense to Pele, NYC, or Malcom. This truly is a rather fun game to play! (Lord knows that I am hamming it up!) I think it is a good idea, but it seems to have the potential to be overused.Until total anarchy breaks out "Let the best loser win!"--NYC------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Glowshow, that remark wasn't very keen. This is a rather good way for all of the users of this board to help out the Mods to keep the place cleared of repetitive questions. You should have really posted that past remark in the relevant thread that started this.Not trying to knock on you, but your question would have fit more aptly on the original thread listed above. Please do a search for topics before you just start new threads. Thanks, from all of us! smilePOINT! BOO-YOW!------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
So if I can claim that point, and then my thred gets closed down for sheer idiocy, then they cross each other out, but if it stays open, then I get another one, right??? rolleyes------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Do "Brownie Points" count for kissing up to the Mods? (See two replies up)MUAH! grin------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've only been gone for a few weeks and you're all stark staring mad.....

Meh

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
See what you miss when you leave? We all turned completely mad! It's not too late, my friend. There is still time to go crazy with us. If you hurry...------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Wait... what?You just... ... confused what?I dunno...Kinudin

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I move to have this topic closed, other than the fact that it is really stupid it scares me. wink

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I think so long as people don't go silly on the whole point thing it will be fine. I think the most important bit is to be sure that you only claim when a thread is so obvious that it should be closed - and there really aren't that many threads that are closed. It makes no sense to answer a question in detail, call a point and then proceed to enter a conversation about the thread topic! confusedAnd remember - no points for topics designed specifically to get points! tongueI apologise for this interruption to your regular programming. Continue.narf!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually I was worried about it getting ugly. Perhaps motivation NOT to have a prize cuz it seems like we were having enough fun without money involved.And the way I read it, starting a thread with the intent of gaining points results ONLY in losing a point, not gaining. So you should, technically, just lose a point. winkI also agree with Bendy that if a question is being answered or discussed you shouldn't call a point but that doesn't take into account the "moderators smoke crack" effect which allows them to shutdown threads that were just getting informative. winkIf someone starts a lively discussion about Sparkly poi on a new thread, it should be shut, reguardless of interest because it was wrongly started. I guess...Yikes, this long post really makes it look like I care. Actually I'm just bored at work. smileAlso keep in mind that I was a football, soccer, volleyball, and basket ball referee all through College so I debate rule interpretations for fun.In answer to your next request, I wish I could get a life, but I need to sit here and be ready to teach in 15 minutes so I might as well debate points. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
No offense, I think the point thing is a bit silly, or at least doesn't necessarily encourage what it's meant to. (As to silly, so a lot of stuff here, and so I'm not complaining about that!)How unhelpful and potentially off-putting is it to a newbie to find that the only replies to your honestly asked question is a bunch of messages going 'POINT!'? This has happened and it isn't friendly for a newbie to be met by complete nonsense! A least let them post a couple more times before starting the nonsense!If you play the game, a point should be awarded for anyone who actually posts something meaningful or helpful, like politley pointing to the search button, roll call thread, etc... Pointless posts should lose you points.As it's always a good idea to go over old topics anyone really wishing to help a newbie or a question asker should encourage them to post to an old thread. Just because something was dicusssed 6 months ago doesn't mean that they can't be reawakened. So, I'm all for going over covered ground![This message has been edited by -Dom- (edited 14 February 2002).]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
1 point to all of you for being cool.An extra point to -DOM- for wearing socks with star spangled banner on. (get that Raymund) see anti-war thread.maa-haaOne extra point to the first person to find the thread I recently started under an assumed newbie name about something which has been answered too many times,then i replied and called point.And am just in the business of trying to get it deleted under another pseudo login.oh yes, advanced tactics for the HOPoint(less) game. (Never go against a sicillian when death is on the line. ha ha ha h...)feel free to point out that I am not at this point at liberty to award points. and I will reply advising you that the points awarded in this post are Euro-points which are completely different to standard HOPoints. (exchange rate 1.43 euro points to the HOPoint. cash redemption value 0.001c terms and conditions apply.)glowshow. Nice posts, has anyone else noticed that you've been talking to yourself recently.Point point point Point point point Point point point Point point point Point point point Point point point Point point point Point point point Point point point Point point point Point point point Point point point Point point point Point point pointIt doesn't look like a real word if you type it too many timesglass

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Points should prolly be claimed in one topic.... As i read it seems like everyone in every topic is tryin to claim points. The game is just gonna get on everyone's breaking point really fast. B.T.W 100 points to me for setting gandma on fire.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Err wait do I have to hit her with a car first... Ahh this is all soo confusing

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Wasn't 'Poit!' one of the words Pinky from Pinky and the Brain used to say? Along with such classics as Narf!Brain: Pinky, Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?Pinky: I think so Brain, but can the gummi worms really live in peace with the Marshmellow Chicks?Glass - minus a point to you for spelling my name with all caps! It's -Dom- and it matters!I too collect EuroPoints. 1500 more and I'll be able to claim a free mug from my local garage!

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Yes, Poit was said by Pinky of Pinky and the Brain fame. He also said Narf!I have a small list of their quotes and find them quite humorous."I think so Brain, but instant karma always gets so lumpy."------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" think so Brain, but if the plural of mouse is mice, wouldn't the plural of spouse be spice?"Something in that for all of us eh? wink

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Let me rephrase my original question:How many people want to take wagers as to how long this point thing is going to last before everyone gets pissed at each other? Or me?I hope that everyone is thoroughly confused, but altogether content with the humor, and having a good time of it all!------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
I bet that the "Point" thing is over as of today. It's pretty unfriendly...and I'm not convinced that new people shouldn't be able to ask the same questions or to tell us about their first fire experience - we remember how it was for all of us just starting out. Can't we just delete stuff after a certain amount of time to save space? And have a board for Frequently Asked Questions.What do I win?? winkPinky and the Brain - awesome!! I knew there was a reason I loved you guys!Cheers,C

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
point thing?!?damn history paper, keeps me offline for a couple nights and i miss all the fun...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
A. If you read through the rules, all those issues tend to be answered, no debating NYC. wink They are as they are.B. In my eyes calling point is no more offensive than people constantly harping "search" without offering useful information to support it, which was happening alot as well. Tact and information will get you everywhere.C. You don't get the money silly...you get credit in the store here.D. "But Pinky, why would anyone want to pierce brosnan?" grinE. One of those looooong breaks NYC? wink Thank you Bendy and Dom for understanding the rules of the game.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

maeonmember
40 posts

Posted:
obviously I didn't do a search and I just posted in the other 'point' thread. But here's a question, if this is the same topic as the "point totals" thread ....well why haven't they been combined or something? Why does it hurt to have three threads on something useful like sparkly poi, firebreathing or coloured flames when we have two threads on something so useless as the 'point' game?Anyway, to use glass' terminology ....This should be the HOPointless board. Do you get it kids, the "point-less" board?thinking wishfully maeonI also mean no offense to anyone at all. It would be a really fun game if it wasn't so pointless.

Where in the world is the island I'm on?