Forums > Social Chat > Spun in Joshua Tree this weekend

Login/Join to Participate

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
My Wife and I just got back from camping in Joshua Tree Nat. Park is the desert of Southern California this weekend. Well, I've been spinning Poi for just about a month now so I thought I'd bring them camping.I'm still very new at this, and I'm still pretty self-conscious about spinning where ANYONE can see me, but there's something about being out in the desert that just clicked for me.If you're not familer with J-Tree, it's a huge desert with gigantic boulder formations and millions of bizzare looking Joshua Trees. It's very surreal at times. The cover of U2's album "The Joshua Tree" was taken there, but it doesn't show the rocks, just a large expanse of the joshua trees.There's something about spinning in the desert. As I'm doing my few tricks with my comet poi by the light of the camp fire I found that I stopped thinking about what trick to do next and just started letting my body move with the poi. I'm huffing and puffing with the excertion of the spinning (and fighting the below freezing wind chill) the wind is blowing and the campfire light is dancing on the rocks behind me casting weird shadows of me and my poi . . The only way I could describe the way I felt was "primal".Wow. What a feeling. For a few short moments I felt a sort of primal/pagen connection with the rocks, the fire, the wind, and the poi. (and yes folks, this was in a totally drug free state wink )Just thought I'd share my experience with you folks. It was a brief, but amazing moment which I hope to experience again some time.

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey dru,its an amaxing experience man. the first time i got that truly primal feeling was on the beach in front of my house. now usually this does not happen, but my neighbor had her drums out and had an awesome tribal type beat going. it was amazing, it put a whole new twist on my dance and style.it was beautiful...great to hear you are having fun with your new poi...

anyone got a light?

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
I've been to J-tree. I love that place. Everything you've said about it is true.Only thing was that the first time I went, I got kicked out of a camp sight for juggling torches. I'm still looking for my primative moment. frown------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
uugga boogga ma...mamama.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrhe he yep me go primal sometimes

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
that is certainly a beautiful story, but as such - I'm going to move it to Social.(POI MOVES is for specific discussion of POI MOVES. If you arent talking about moves or the tecnical side to twirling, it probly belongs in social) smileJoshPS - four ppl missed out on points there...[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 12 February 2002).]

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Dru Lee Parsec... wow... these moments are so good and magic ! I am happy for you smile To actually stop being technical and start dancing is what is best for me. And to be able to do it in such a surrounding and with such meaningful company is really beautiful.Now ... eeer ... don't laugh but can anyone please explain what a Joshua tree is ? ...Shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
a Joshua Tree is a tall cactus sort of plant that grows in the mojave desert in southern california. https://www.photo.net/ca/joshua-tree.html(and
I would say the National Park Service is perfectly reasonable to kick you out if you do something like juggle flaming things, spread toxic petrochemicals all over the ground, and generally carry on. desert animals have a hard enough time as it is...we opted out of firetwirling in the desert for this reason, it would never seem right to me to impose myself on a natural environment in such a way. actually i also dislike spinning on beaches, same reason. I would much rather just sit and enjoy the quiet and the stars.)Pere, annoying biologist[This message has been edited by Peregrine (edited 13 February 2002).]

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
quote:
I'm moving this to social
Yeah, I realized after I posted it that I put it in the wrong section. Thanks for moving it.

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
Cassandra:If you look at the photos at the link that Peregrine posted you'll see 2 pictures that have rocks in them. The bizarre thing about J-Tree is that you can be walking along perfectly flat land and these rock formations that are sometimes 200 feet high or more(that's what, about 70 meters?) just jutting out of the ground.Last summer we were there in the late season (august, too hot for normal people) and we saw a dozen big horn sheep. We were able to get within about 50 feet of them. Actually, they came to us, they were on one side of the only water in the area and we were on the other side of the water. So we just stayed still and let them come close. What an experience!If you ever get to So.Cal. then you should stop by and see it. However, it's also one of the 2 premiere rock climbing sites in southern California (The other being the town of Idyllwild about 50 miles away) so in the spring and the fall every camp site will be full of climbers from Friday until Sunday. (That's what I ususally do when I'm in J-Tree, but this weekend it was SO COLD and SO WINDY!) So to find a camp site you need to get there by noon on Friday, and even then it could be difficult.One of the rangers I was talking to this weekend said that it's difficult trying to keep a wilderness area unspoiled when 80 million people live within a one day drive.But if you ever have a chance to go, I think you'd enjoy it.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Cool story Dru! Sounds fun, very cool to read others' stories!The place you're describing reminds me of the Burrego Desert and the campsite there with the oasis withen a 5 mile hike. In my opinion, that sounds like a wayy cool place to do Poi

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
quote:
sounds like a place in the borrego desert . . .
Do you mean the palm oasis? I've been there. What a strange spot. You're surrounded by nothing but brown and black rock and as you hike up the valley there's an oasis of about 1000 palm trees! I remember that you could actually smell the water in the ground even though there was no standing water.Cool spot. You might also enjoy the Airplane Monument trail. It's described in the book "Afoot and Afield in San Diego". Also good is the Dwyer Spring trail which starts from the same parking lot as Airplane Monument but heads east instead of west.