Page:
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone! My first thread here - yay! I got fed up of stinking of paraffin, so I've just started building some LED Poi and judging by the prototypes I built, they're going to be BRIGHT.

Per Head :
3 x AAA batteries
4 x Super Bright LEDs

Each head should be about 240mm long and 30mm round, giving off a bar of light 18mm by 30mm. At the moment, I'm running the LEDs at about twice what they're specc'ed for so I'm not sure how long they'll last - time will tell. The LEDs I have now are blue, but I've seen some green ones which are ~3x brighter!

Has anyone played around with PIC Microntrollers? They're what make the Aerotech staffs etc. work, and I'm thinking of modifying the POI I'm working on so that they can flash different colours / patterns and stuff...

Cake or Death?

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
Firegeek, I'd love to see a diagram of those LED poi- including the specs for the machined parts. That way, we could either get them made for ourselves, or know what to look for if we want ready made substitutes.
It might be worth saving up to have the peices made:)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I don't have time tonight, but when I'm back on Tuesday night, I'll do a big diagram o what I've got with dimensions all over.. watch this space smile

Cake or Death?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Starting to make some progress on mark 2. Have a look at this thread to see where I'm headed smile

Cake or Death?

nusku42Member
19 posts

Posted:
Ok too much info for brain to take in. Does anybody know of a good link or have detailed instuctions for making your onw LED poi please keep em simple. I know hot stuff is bad and shocking yourself is bad too.

XerxesDittomember
36 posts

Posted:
Hey all, I'm currently in the design stage of the "Ultra-Glow" LED poi.

I wish to use a "strobe effect", as you say. At the moment, I am thinking of using a 555 as an Astable and then running a 4017 off of it. The advantage is that I can use a bariable resistor to alter the strobe speed.

Initial designs can be found here:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/display.php?image=/500/6502initial_render.JPG

At the moment, I am researching a variety of strobes. The idea is to run off around 6-8 Blue and 6-8 White per globe (High capacity batteries will be required) and alternate between the two.

If anyone has any suggestions, by all means, email me; Ziggy_Sheldrake@hotmail.com

Fear is the mind-Killer...

mattbassmanSILVER Member
Southern Lights Whore
51 posts

Posted:
Jon, please get in touch with me asap.
Cheers
Matt

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted: