DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
First off, sorry if this depresses anyone...My wonderful girlfriend of 3 years went off to South Africa yesterday for 3-5 months and I'm unsuprisingly quite depressed about this. Valetines day is 3 days away, so we won't be together for that, she might miss my 21st Birthday, I can't take time out of college to see her, nor can I afford it. Basically the whole thing is a bit sh!t.Just wondered if anyone has any sob stories about Valentines day as I think that a problem shared is a problem halved. Sorry for being miserable but this is my form of therapy.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Durbs, I won't say "don't be sad" for that would be silly and foolish... but I can tell you what I truely beleive in :distance does not kill a relationship... it only makes everything bigger : if there is something wrong with it in the first place, then it may underline what you'd have noticed anyway, it just accelerates the process. but if it is what it really seems to be in your case : a genuine and deep love... these 3/5 months will be a piece of cake.your princess will get back to you with great stories and with the amazing happiness of being together again.See it as an opportunity to step back and realize that you really want her smileAs for valentine, man, that really sucks. frown I've NEVER had any good valentine until now (wish me luck on taht on wink ). eitehr broke up with bf, or was terribly single or far away from bf or had other problems.Not that valentine matters to me at all, but somehow it is everyone around being all excited and kissing and hugging aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh !!! it used to drive me mad...BUT... think of one thing : think how many people envy you right now... yep ! *envy* you for you have a princess whom you love and who certainly loves you back ... you know how rare that is,don't you ? smilehugs and smiles to youshine on, cheer up smilecassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
A dozen roses can easily cost £50, or so I've heard, so think of the money you've saved!Seriously, you've not so much of Valentine specific problem, but a common relationship issue of seperation. The fact that it's Valentine's as well just makes it worse. Funnily enough only this morning I was speaking to a friend who was sat at Gatwick waiting for a plane to take him to Jamacia for 3 months, leaving behind his girlfriend. He was in the same depression, but he was a whole new country to help distract him, as does your girl. So it's harder for you, no consolation at all!At least with South Africa the time difference isn't a problem, so you haven't got the pain of trying to organise when to call.If it makes you feel any better this Valentine's I'm going to sit in my flat alone, and rent a crappy action movie, order a crappy pizza and have a good night in! Maybe I'll head to the common and spin fire a bit too. I would love to have a Valentine's but my love life is so incredibly messed up that I wouldn't know where to start!Spin poi, be happy. Tomorrow is Poi night!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Well, the person I'd like to spend Valentine's Day with is in a very small village called Kotchi in a little nation named Benin on a very large continent labled Africa (by coincidence with Durbs' problem). She's in the peace corps. I sent her a rather intricate hand made Valentines card a few weeks ago, which will probably still arrive there late, if it gets there at all. It'll be another month at least before I get any sort of feedback from her. I can't send her anything of value (either monitary or sentimental) becasue it will more than likely "disappear" in the post on the way.And at least Durbs' valentine comes back in 3 to 5 months. I have to wait 22 more months for mine.to quote Cassandra;::sigh:: -v-[This message has been edited by vanize (edited 12 February 2002).]

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
If it makes anyone feel any better, I'll be spending my Valintines day in a drug induced coma after having my wisdom teeth removed. And I've been in far too much pain to even leave my house in the past two weeks, let alone to find a date for the 14th.

Jesus helps me trick people.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
man do i have horror stories!!!there was this last guy i had this thing for... i had a thing for him since i was 12.. finally he decides he likes me too!!im all like wow! yes! finally!..so thing happened.. then new years eve he ditched me to go to his friends house..no worries i can deal with that. the next morning however i went to pick him up and he wasnt there.. turns ou he wa at this other girls house.. his so called ex-girlfriend. he just forgot to tell that he wasnt with anymore. i went there and the girl answered wearing HIS boxers!.. needless yo say i was so hurt and angry. you can guess what happened between them.. as for me he wasnt moving out the door fast enough and in my fit of agony i bet him with his own shoes.. he got in my car and saw my staff and said you werent going to bring that int here were you.. all i said to him was "if it came to that".. oooooooh i was sooooo mad at him.. so no valentines for me..EXCEPT i met a neat guy at a Bif Naked cancert on friday... he's a fire eater. and he likes to bake cookies... he seems nice.. maybe ill be friends with him... yes thats what ill do. smile

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Was quite looking forward to another shite valentines day so I could have a whinge about smug people with flowers, but....The main man, after missing my birthday & Christmas, gave me red roses for Valentines day!!!! Okay, that is not that amazing, & by anyone's scale does not require much creative thought (I kinda like those gifts where the person doesn't spend much cash but gives you something that really proves they know you well). But later on I talked to a mate of mine who was saying how damn proud he was that he had remembered, & it kinda made it sweet. He had to make that much effort to remember & get organised, that I can't help but be impressed.So, for once the crass, commercial, cliched, valentines thing of giving roses has actually been counted as a very sweet & thoughtful thing... winkHappy.... smile

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
*sobs*..i havent had a girlfriend on valentines day in the past 4 years... frown havent had a valentine in a long time. will some loving and caring and beautifull girl be my valentine?.... p-p-p-pleeeeaasseeemuch love to all and to all a...happy valentines daythat made no sense.xtremravrif you do something and do not do it to the xtrem, you didnt do you best!!!

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Can I harp on about this topic?My boyfriend decided to dump me the day before Valentine's this year...well, I guess it was better he didn't do it on Valentine's day... frown Not having the greatest week!C

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Carrey, remember that we all still love you. Sorry I couldn't make it the other day, but let me know next time you're having a burn and I'll be there.*Hugs" smile

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ah well, managed to drown then smoke out my sorrows...Nah - I'm getting used to it now. I spoke to Linda on V day so that was cool. Thanks everyone for support and sharing. Wicked.*sigh* why is life so hard?... smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I've noticed that it's a rare relationship that survives a valintines day. Usually most people get dumped with in a two week period before hand, but I've seen a lot of instances where the relationship ended the day before or the day after V day. Almost every one I know, with maybe two or three exeptions, ended their relationships in the past two weeks.

MYMAmember
23 posts

Posted:
because life sucks...i need a hug..I have never had a b/f for V-day, but I was heard that my ex-bf was dumped on the 14th (yesterday) and so was another semi-friend of mine. What's up with people doing that? I mean, wouldn't you want to do it the day BEFORE, (even though that still sucks) so that you can be single for V-Day? The only plausible reason i can think of is if they didn't remember and didn't get you anything(thats not that big), or you know...cheated on you... but otherwise, it seems just plain mean...aw well, i'll sit here and continue to eat my candy...

*Live as if you were to die tomarrow, learn as if you were to live forever* ~Mahatma Ghandi*Imagination is more important than knowledge*~Albert Einstein*dream*

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
SP and Carrey, that reminds me that Whipping Boy's mother used to date a guy that would dump her before all the gift giving holidays and then ask her back out after them. After a bit she caught on and said no way! It's just cheap and no one needs people like that anyway!My worst dump story was actually on my birthday. I had gone to my classes, ran home really fast because my family was taking me out, when I got back to my apartment from that a couple of my friends were waiting for me there, so I hung with them and it was nice.Then my at the time bf shows up pounding on the door. One of his housemates said he saw another girl who went by the same name as me at the local club grinding on some guy. Of course, my ex didn't stop to hear the rest of the story but came flying to my house. He broke the door and I swear I thought he was going to hit me. He started yelling and everything. My friends were trying to help me explain, it was brutal. My friend threatened to call the cops, which is when he left. He stalked me for years after, but we are on a civil basis now. That went down as one of the worst birthdays!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
My God, birthdays.......Speaking of days that carry a curse. rolleyesMy worst breakup was my last one. After a year as my girlfriend, and four or five years of deep friendship before that I got the news of the breakup in the form of a note on the windsheild of my truck. Can you belive that? I didn't even get the decencey of a phone break up. Great thing to find when you're all ready running late for work madBut for being sheerly hard core my friend Eddie has one of the best stories I've heard (or meanest, anyway.) And, actually now that I think about it, I believe it was shortly before vanentines day that this took place.He lived in Westminster (one of the northern suburbs of Denver) while his girl lived in Castle Rock (an hour and some change south of Denver). Eddie hated this girl toward the end. She had basicly forced him to lose his virginity, was a total bitch to all of his friends, and tried everything she could to run his life. All the while she was convinced that He was totally in love with her. She assumed that they were going to get married, of course she didn't bother to mention that to him.Anyway, Eddie finally decided he was sick of it. So he waited untill it snowed (and it snowed pretty bad this time too, I think about 14 inches fell in the space of four hours) then he called her up and said he had to talk to her. He said it was really urgent and he didn't want to talk about it on the phone. Usually people get nervous that something bad is going to happen when their boyfriend says something like this, but he played it off like he was going to do something hoplessly romantic. He convinced her to drive all the way up to Westminster (normally an hour and some change, but in the snow it took her four and a half hours) to meet him at a coffee house. He showed up an hour late, walked in, sat down, lit a cigarette and said "Welcome to dumpsville..... Population, you." Then he just walked out, leaving her to drive the four and a half hours back to Castle Rock, in the snow, after being dumped just before Valentines day.I may not be the nicest person you'll ever meet, but I don't know if I could ever be that mean to someone.....------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
I have never received a valentines card. Not once, in all of my 19 years on this planet, no one has ever felt the need to send APB a little lovin on the truly romantic day of te year that is valentines.But im not bitter winki guess valentines isn't something i get very excited about.apb

Good on usGood on us all

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
blah, of all the stupid holidays...only good thing about it is the candy, and that i have to mooch off of the people who actually got some...eesh...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Kurismember
13 posts

Posted:
::sigh:: I used to hope and hope and hope that I would get a real valentine. But all I ever got was the mandatory one from each classmate starting in kindergarten and going until sixth grade. I haven't gotten a valentine in six years... And I havent had a girlfriend for eight... does anyone else know how dpressing that is... to always hope, and occasionally give a valentine, and never get one in return... ::sniff:: someone hold me...please...[This message has been edited by Kuris (edited 16 February 2002).]

Meteors Away!-Kuris

MYMAmember
23 posts

Posted:
*hugs everyone that's posted here (yah, even if you don't want one)**shares jelly beans with Whiffle Squeek*mooching can be fun winkI liked what me and my friend did this year, we bought eachother stuff, (ok, so my mom payed) and then people THOUGHT we were were loved...and in a way we were... I dunno, just giving a little something for someone, even if your not IN LOVE with them, can still be special...

*Live as if you were to die tomarrow, learn as if you were to live forever* ~Mahatma Ghandi*Imagination is more important than knowledge*~Albert Einstein*dream*

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Okay SickpuPpy, I have to ask...how do you force a man to lose his virginity?...on other more positive fronts, I had the time of my life on Saturday night and met someone completely amazing. So, my life isn't over yet, clearly...I hope everyone is coping post Valentine's Day as well.My best friend and I decided to send each other Valentine's this year too. It was more because we wanted to win the Jaguars from the Post Office (Royal Mail, Consignia, whatever) but it turned out to be quite good to get one from someone, even if it's your mate.Beats the hell out of getting them from my mother, which is what happened when I was a kid! winkC

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
This has been one of the most comical and heart-warming posts i have read in a long time. Really good stuff. *humble grin*Thankfully I have been one of the few that have had someone every year, and this year was quite wonderful.So at least take solace in the fact that not everyone has a miserable V-day.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
right - and that's supposed to cheers us up?! grin Hmmm, seems it worked

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

orangemember
158 posts

Posted:
mmmmmmm funny 1 this yeargerman girlfriend missed me out at chrisrmas on her giftlist...her birthday 2n`d feb - broke up on phone on 4`th febsent me a qeustioning is it valentines in england as well as germany sms on my phone...(although funnily she didn`t send me 1 - curioser and not so curioser...)dink er yes...?i like playing with my toys,i play well with other people and their toysbut what i don`t do is play with people as my toysso why do i feel played with-inside my head...fortunately i`ve been exploring all of the u.k. and met loads of really good peoplecarrey and bambam - biggum huggums smileto take my mind off.....thing is i`m still in love - funny really...though i`m trying to put love for self - top of list - it`s quite hard...i`m good at bouncing though so see you in the cloudsi guess i always wanted faerietaleorange energy everyone...xxx...------------------swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hey orange,you would be a very easy person to love. An affectionate individual with a truly unique mind. Save some of that abundant affection for yourself smile. & take careR.

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
Hmm, didn't see this topic at the time. Here is 2 poems I wrote on Valentines Day this year:Valentine's Day BluesWhat of love I cry at night What of that shining light To give life meaning must we take Not this road of hurt and hate? Souls alone, a million grains of sand Like stars spun in glittering strand To rub and grind each other to dust Seems to be their sole lust Hurt is eternal, pain my own Red roses on the ground are thrown Festers, sores of hurt and weal Leave me hollow, naught to feel There is nowhere you can run Trying to escape the blinding sun Love will find you where'ere you hide Just to burn and claw your eyes Why should we love When life's a lie And all our hopes Are doomed to die?And technically I wrote this the day after Vday, but close enough:WallsBastions of quiet Solitary castles in the night Mankind moves alone Armoured in walls of fright Yet when two castles collide When fate plays her hand Then the walls come crashing down Crumbling into sand Without walls we all can bleed Nerves exposed to life Free of confines to live again And know of love and strife Yet walls exist for reasons To armour against hurt And fate can make mistakes And walls return from earth Bit depressing really, but that's what Vday is all about ! grin

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Lots of people love Orange. There's something unmistakably infectious about him. Don't tell him I said nuffink though. Don't want him thinking I like him....

Meh

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Time to form an orange admiration society, I think!!!
Non-Https Image Link
R.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
There already is one Rozi. Come to Sheffield sometime (bit of a trek I know) and you'll see what I mean...

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Well Carrey, basicly you whine and bitch and whine and moan untill the guy is so freaking sick of hearing your voice that he'll do absolutly anything to get you shut up. And this she did, she actually locked him in a room and yelled at him untill he had sex with her, even though he didn't want to at all. She didn't hold a gun to his head or anything, if that's what you were thinking (but I imagine that a gun would've been more efficient and we all would have had to listen to her bitching much less).------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

orangemember
158 posts

Posted:
ta rozi smilei`d feel relaxed in your company i`m sure smile..again another wonderful week and loads to look forward to soon too...british juggling conventionand peachy`s birthday bash - are we wearing our sinD tops to it?if`n mines ready by then... (special request !!! smile )hope australia is treating you well and did you already take part in the round-the-world-leg?-or is australia last? (saving the best `til last (syndrome) ? )well big hugs to all and the widen`ist smiles woowoo`s...------------------swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...