Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We all know the new game...Beat the Mods...If you get into a thread and claim a point before a Mod shuts it down, for whatever reason (repeat posting, nastiness, whatever).I will also give a bonus point to whomever is the first to also explain what the person should do, or where the person should go to get the info they are looking for.Rules are, you have to do it nicely though (PWB wink) and it has to be a thread that really stands a shot at getting locked down.In a few months time, whomever has the most points, I will get something from the shop and have it sent to you!Why I think this is a good idea, of course, less work for the mods! grin I also think it promotes following the rules in a comical way, and allows the old schoolers to do more than direct traffic! smile It will also keep mods on thier toes, and gives us an idea of threads that you feel repeat when we question it.Remember, it's all in fun...no full contact point extraction! smileI will just keep updating this thread once a week or so.Right now....Bendy...... 2PWB........ 1Supafly.... 1NYC........ 1 (and kudos for inventing the game, btw NYC)WelcomeMatt..... 1Thanks all for helping out! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Which is why, aside from the truly inane, obviously sarcastic ones, I have tried to be as helpful as possible. As much as I hate to admit this, we should probable do away with the "calling" of point, and just let it slip in subtley. The Mods are still the official point takers, and they (especially Pele) stay on top of things pretty well. They have to read the posts to determine if there is a point to be made. Hell, they aren't even going to tell us until it is over and done with. The whole 'point' of the game was to help police some of the newer people who didn't take the time to read the rules or do a search, and in effect, make this an easier place to exist. And we are also being helpful in a nicer way.I think that by rushing in and calling point, we run the risk of turning off some very potential new talents and faces. We run the risk of missing out on another "Dangerboy" or "Cantus" or "Phunky." because their first impression was (as Cantus put it) "stark, staring mad" people semi-insulting them.I will be the first to admit that I have already abused this. But, hey, I am in one of those moods right now. But I also know that it is going to turn into a headache sooner or later.So how's about this: Pele, Charles, Flash, Josh, and Malcolm get together and see if the game can be adapted to play without calling point on everything. Then maybe one of you could post a new thread and keep it at the top for a while letting everyone know. ------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I agree with the general trend of awarding points for those that are helpful to moderators. That's what my original intent was but with everyone yelling "POINT!" I had to chime in too... I guess this even goes back to the "moderators owe me a nickel" trend which I inadvertently started too...But then the game is "beat the moderators" not help the moderators. So clogging up the board with "POINT" would seem logical.I must say it does, in some horrible way, alleve that newbie stress..."OH MY GOD NOT ANOTHER FRIGGIN' REPETITIVE POST" becomes "OH GOOD I GET A POINT!" in my mind. smileI think there either needs to be an official rule change to play "Help the Moderators" or accept the fact that some of us are going to be yelling "point" on some posts... As for me, I'm goin' to bed because I gotta pick my girlfriend up from the Airport tomorrow. grin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Good night!POINT!If it stays, it stays, but fair warning, I would REALLY like some new toys for free!!!------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Y'all should have points deducted for too much shouting...Point... wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

maeonmember
40 posts

Posted:
You may notice I'm not that active on the board - I guess I never adapted to smilies. That doesn't mean I don't read it, I just came to the 'point' where I decided the HOP board was a place to speak only if spoken too.I can see the need to refer people to previous posts on a topic in order to prevent reposting. However, I have searched for various things, and found that even though the original topic was "firebreathing" that by the end of the thread it was no more than three or four board regulars asking each other what they were watching on tv that night (a year ago). So there is a lot of useless junk in the past ....as well as a lot of useful stuff.My question is:Do you want to make the decision that everything has already been said? Do you really want to change this from a "discussion board" into a "discussed board?"I can see how "the regulars" and "the mods" would get sick of the same old questions. I can also see how newbies would rather partake in active threads than those that are several years old.My suggestion would be to combine the useful and relevant posts from similar threads into a superthread - a thread that would never disappear from the boards active list. You could do this for all the most frequent posts. For example, a super thread on "coloured flames" or "firebreathing" containing all the good info posted on this topic over the years. If this stays at the top of the board, a newbie coming in will see it, and click it rather than starting it over again. This would also allow a lot of crap in the original threads to be deleted, freeing up more space.I can see that this 'point' game would be a barrel of laughs for those of you who frequent the board ....but think back to when you too were newbies. I know that if I had have come on, asked a question and been 'point'ed in the right direction I would have been a bit taken back, and probably been scared off by the 'closed' nature of the community. I'd refer you to 'point' 5 in the 'read this before replying' rules. Everyone should be made to feel to feel they are welcome.I think it will discourage new people from entering into discussions, which will mean that "the regulars" will be stuck with each other for ever.But anyway, thats just my nickelsworth. NYC is right - may the biggest loser win. Charles is right, everyone running in yelling point is confusing. Pere is right about this being the most annoying thing ever.hoping to post again soon, without having a finger 'point'ed at me.maeon.

Where in the world is the island I'm on?

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Well said.C

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
So have the Mod'd been keeping track?I would love to see who's winning.I think I have roughtly 2-3 points to my name now?N8.*Waits for benevolent volcano goddess* grin

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You are cute N8! grinTwo things to quickly point out to Maeon, (well 3)1. Glad to see you posting.2. It is confusing because people abused it(go figure:rolleyes smile. Now the novelty is starting to wear off and it is serving it's purpose, which is to help the mods, and each other without simply yelling "search", which is equally as annoying.3. There is nothing wrong with reviving an old thread, and that is what we encourage. Search, find the most appropriate thread and then post in it. It keeps things alive without the same topic showing 10 times, started the same way and never gaining new ground.Not all subjects have been covered, which is why there is still an active discussion board going and everything hasn't been locked or closed. It is half empty/half full. If you choose to look at it as over-regulated, then that is all you will see, just as if you look for flaws in something, you *will* find them. If you look at the ratio of closed threads to those that remain open, and then look at the amount of revived topics as opposed to those that have been closed you will find the number of "regulated" topics to not be even remotely as high as people think. It is all how you look at it and looking at things on the big scale, not only at the little padlocks.I also would like to point out that if this is so deterring to people, then how come the number of registered "newbies" increases exponentailly on a daily basis? Our rules then, can not be that thwarting.N8, There are several people with points, many only have one or two, some who think they have points have none because they called points in threads that remained open.Also N8, Malcolm asked that I keep the contenders kind-of behind the scenes so that riots don't break out! wink But this is what I will say...There are 2 people with 6 points2 people with 51 with 44 with 24 with 1and yesterday I don't think anyone scored a point, which is good, means things are going smoothely. smile So there you have it.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

King LouieJungle V.I.P.
19 posts

Posted:
Maeon well said,I find the whole point thing at bit to alienating. I'm going back to the jungle.take care ya'll Cousin Louie_________________________________________What I desire,is mans red fire, to make my dreams come true...

skandarrghmember
12 posts

Posted:
ok. have read through all of the posts and have one problem...I AM STILL CONFUSEDgrr help dont understand all this stuff, maybe i should invest in some lateral thinking.------------------i wanna be a rockstar :o)-------------------------warm red glow

i wanna be a rockstar :o)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Off topic really quick...King Louie!*LOL*No offense but that cracks me up!He is by far the best character in the movie (and I love snakes, so that is saying alot!). grin>Pele walks away singing "I wanna be like you-oo-oo....<------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

maeonmember
40 posts

Posted:
ummmm ....I didn't say anything about the boards being overmoderated, or about them being moderated at all.I just made a suggestion.maybe I said to much?maeon

Where in the world is the island I'm on?

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
What are the standings for "Beat the Mods" points now? Just curious.. I think I need to more observant. I made a thread that got closed down ------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
TWM...can't say names but..We have two people with 6 points2 people with 5 points3 people with 4 points3 people with 2 points4 people with 1 point each.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
heres an idea, a bit late seeing as the game is already going but...u should be able to score more points of people who have been here longer and less of newbies. i mean newbies are always posting bout coloured flames and other point scoring things but how often do u see C@ntus or NYC doing it.. so u should get more points for this.one way would be u take 1/10 of their posts as points i.e. a newbie who has posted less than 10 times would get u one point while noticing a mistake by pele would get u 176 (not that its gonna happen)

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
That is a good point (PUN INTENDED smile ) ------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ajay...I will leave you to do all the searching for points and the math then! wink

Pele

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
perhaps you could send e-mails to people with points, just so they know how theyre doing?

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Part of the experience in gaining the points is from being here. Getting to make up points because you weren't here isn't fair to those of us who have actually tried to help on this board.As for the knowing of points, I'd rather not know.------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Pheelgoodmember
30 posts

Posted:
Poi...Point?Pointless! confused

Pheelgoodmember
30 posts

Posted:
By the way, if i point out that Pele got a smilie wrong by putting it next to a bracket to make :rolleyes smile in her post of a week ago (end of page one).... do i get a point?Or do i get 177, like Ajay said? Pleeease! wink

Galawenmember
45 posts

Posted:
Im sitting here on my Dual screen computer with my mp3 player on one screen and HoP on the other and im thinking to myself that there are actually people that have less to do than I (and trust me thats saying alot).Just thinking.......Point...

Give Me FuelGive Me FireGive Me That Which I Desire-MetallicA

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The winner is in for the first round...and sneaking in with last minute point additions it is....The Welcome Matt. Malcolm will be contacting you about your prize.Other people with points in contention were: PWB Bendy NYC Tom Supafly Vain-ego PK Shiznot Phunky Rex FirePOiBOy glowshow Durbs N8 Helium Thanks for all the help everyone!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
wooohooo I was in contention!!

I smell something burning.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Happy to get an honorable mention, but there were a lot more points that I could have scored if the threads had actually been closed. That is the tricky part...not only being the first in, but being the first in on a thread that gets closed! Round 2 anyone?------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Naaa, I'm out.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: