Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
ok, i searched, and im sorry if i missed a previous topic on this, but what is everyones opinions on why twirlers have different styles of twirling?for example, Hitokage and i both learned or started learning at least poi from this website, yet now, almost a year later, you can watch us, and see two very different styles of twirling...i was just wondering what you think makes this happen, and how you could classify the different styles, because when i watch people with two different styles, i can tell theyre different, but i cant quite put a finger on how they are different...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Maybe it's the grace or different combonations used in their spinning?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Style = body movement + confidence + moves + grace + footwork + toys + body size + limbsize + music + clothing + practice + history + location + fuel + dreams + flexibility + finger length + culture + fears + wants + .... + .... + ....Everything you can think of, even the shoes you prefer to wear can affect your style.The reason everyone's style is different, is coz everyone is different...QED------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Well put Charles smileI guess it might come down to how different people dance without their twirling too. I like watching people dance with their own style. Some people rehearse moves and dance steps so that they can look like other people, I don't get it. To me dancing is moving te way you feel like at the time depending on the music (or lack of).Some people prefer certain moves when twirling, some prefer the poi moving in opposite directions, some like having them in the same direction, some like to use more wraps. Some girls will, some girls won't, some girls need a lot of lovin' and-uh some girls don't... (I like that song blush)

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
"You are unique, just like everyone else" hehe we're all alike in some way, and yet we have our own styles that's what make that guy or girl like the other guy or girl instead of the other person in line?*shrug* I dunno, interesting theory huh? wink

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
this post reminds me of one that i've been meaning tp put up concerning people's personal description of their spinning styles. i would describe my own as Satan's Kung-Fu Majorette Style.an others??------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit[This message has been edited by Dangerboy (edited 11 February 2002).]

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
Charles... excuse me if i'm just being ignorant again, but what's QED? is this another one of your nicknames? Sparkles?

Drakienmember
49 posts

Posted:
I think...Style is based quite a lot on the perspn's personality. This semi-controversial statement is based on a "study" of the ten or so twirlers I know, and those with similar styles also have similar approaches to learning / practising / demonstrating poi, and therefore surprisingly similar personalities.Also, there's the fish and bird classification system, which is both confusing and strange, but also quite useful.Later.J------------------"If you love someone, set them free.If you love something, fill it with cream.Then set it on fire."

Posh ravers wear ties.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Rex QED = Quod Erat Demonstrandum (geee, doesn't anyone speak Latin anymore!)I would call my busking style...um...er...Speed Burst Busker Rant.And my performance style...um...er...Speed Burst Busker Rant without the Rant...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
mmm, thanks to dangerboy for saying outright what i guess i actually hoped the topic would develop into...(musta forgot to say that while making it)hmmmm, as for my own style, im not exactly a fast twirler, although i can go for speed if i want to, im very, fluent, i guess you could say, i dont like moves that break up the flow of the spin, and generally stay away from stuff like that... such as "that thing posee does", although it does look very cool, i just feel it breaks the whole spin up when i go into it... so yeah, i guess my style would be very fluid, lots of turns...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

heather_member
23 posts

Posted:
Dangerboy: I think you missed out an essential part of your twirling style, surely fire slut should be mentioned somewhere along the way? Hehehe *hugs*

....lurks

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
I think we could use the term fire slut for quite a few people, as Heather and myself have seen Bendy does a pretty good fire slut wink------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
hey now, don't you mean "fire man-whore"? grin------------------Where's the foetus gonna gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I prefer to twirl to slow, exotic-sounding music, and try to stay on tempo with it. My style (or more lack of one) used to be more static, stepping from one move to another. I think I've managed to get away from that, though I'm still not quite as fluid and versatile as I'd like to be.One of my fire-friends said, after I finished a set, "you look like you're having sex with the fire." I never tried to make that my style, but hell, I'll take it!

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
I have a Fluid Acrobatic Gymnastic Agressive style when I twirl. I will call it FAGA (pronounced Fa Ga). My brother is jerky and looks like a monkey I will call it Monkey Jerk. ------------------A wise man once said to me, "Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe!" and in a way, I guess he was right.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, Staff style: BtB Finger twirling GoodnessPoi Style: Ouch Oh God Not The Style

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
C@ntus Style. I'm completely self taught (although I did learn one double staff move off Tempest). So my style must be my style.I've been teaching other people lately. So soon there could be lots of little Cantus style twirlers out there - what a horrifying thought! shockedPart of my style I have also termed Fyathyrio (but I'm not telling you what that means - although I am open to bribery).------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Hi AllI think a style should be nurtured and created by yourself. After all the mauri's (sorry spelling) didn't have a set style - the poi dancin was part of their tradition.. so depending on what dance you were doing depended on the style that was produced.. ( I hope I'm right, thats my understanding of it anyway..)I personally try to get everything flowing and spritual is possible.. I like to try and meditate when I am twirling.. the deeper the trance I'm in the better I twirl - or so I think.. I've only just started so not very many people have commented on it..Kind regardsRedDragon

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

lozarythmicmember
1 post

Posted:
I'd call my style "Shaolin (novice)", one day i'll be a master!

------------L.o.Z.a.R.y.T.h.M.i.C

nattymember
14 posts

Posted:
if im fire dancing i try to get the spirit of the music i listen to. i try to leave my soul free and make it dance with the fire and the rythm. i would like to watch myself onetime. i dont know how to call my style, its a lot of acro. im standing on one hand and twirling with the other. kind of different. but great!

###surrounded by natty###

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Alright, Cantus. I'll bite. How's about a chicken? winkMy style is constantly progressing. I have been on a learning curve for a few months now, and it just keeps evolving. I also seem to have developed slightly different styles for spinning fast at clubs, and spinning slower for fire. I think it is because there are some things that look better done slower, and some moves are easier to pull off when they aren't attempted at light speed.But all and all, I would have to describe it as: Liquid Ninja Tiger!Even though I have never taken any lessons in martial arts, my style involves a lot of similar movements. Crouching, sweeping movements, and quick jumps. Even though I am not really a cat person, I have a lot of feline movements, especially when I am moving slower, but I still am an agressive, confident spinner.------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~