Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I love that question. We got it again last night. It's one of those things where SO many sarcastic responses pop into my head at the same time that I don't know which one to pick..."Are you real stupid?" seems to be the meanest of the voices in my head.I really just DON'T understand the question. I think today I'm going to just walk around and ask people if stuff is real. Just to see how they respond. Is there ANY other time in life where you've ever gone up to someone and asked if something that they are holding is real?Amused and confused.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Drakienmember
49 posts

Posted:
Heh.I tend to say "no, actually it's special display fire that doesn't burn specially trained fools like myself, so I can do *this*" ::spin like crazy:: "without fear of pain."Say it in the most matter-of-fact way possible and 50% of people will believe you. For at least a minute.Or maybe I'm just too good at bullsh!tt!ng.J------------------"If you love someone, set them free.If you love something, fill it with cream.Then set it on fire."

Posh ravers wear ties.

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
i would have thought you'd be used to stupid questions from your students nyc, but i do understand having fun with the seemingly stupid questions that people ask. really it a form of flatery though, as you've put them in the mental space like that of a child, so you should cheerish those moments even if you get them fifty times a day.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Itsgotab has got a very beautiful point there smileshine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
he he he, I have a good response to that!Ask them to stand still and then set fire to their Shell Suits with it smileYou could also pick up a few tips for full body burns at the same time smile. o O (OK this may get you a prison sentence so I have to add this as a disclaimer :P )

Diablostikmember
34 posts

Posted:
"Real fire? That would be stupid for anyone to try... ...It's all done with invisible string......don't tell anyone."

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
"No, it's really one of those plastic toys that you get for fifty cents at burger-king... wanna try it?" wink hehe that'd be mean and I'm to... well I can't hold a straight face for that long lol so I'd just say "Yeah, it is real fire" with a hugeee smile on my face.

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
They probably are just surprised, cause it is awfuly dangerous to spin FIRE around your BODY!! sounds scary to me smile! They are reaching out to you, and interested in what you do, and then you greet them back with a slap in the face?:'( Well, that's the way I see it, but I guess I can't understand the situation quite right (since I haven't been asked that ever wink I haven't spun with fire yet), just keep on spinning and love those neighbors wink peace-john smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I actually bring someone (adult) to the stage to prove it, either by torch or by spinning around them.My favorite questions are:Is that real fire?Is that cold fire? confusedWhat did you do to yourself to make it so you don't burn?And a few people have asked me if I am one of those freaks of nature who simply doesn't get hurt? (Never heard of that condition, but sign me up! Then again, after childbirth, singes are nothing! smile)Offer to "blow" them a kiss though and see how fast they believe the fire is real!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I've never been asked that.But as I have a pretty short fuse when it comes to stupid questions I would probobly be inclined to (while saying absoluty nothing, adopting the attitude of Mr. Blonde in Resavour Dogs) hit them in head with my wicks (thereby setting fire to their hair) or to just out and out set them on fire, as mark P suggested. OOh! I know!Say nothing. Douse them in kero or white gas. Then ask them casually to repeat themselves while sparking your cigarette lighter in an off hand but threatening manner grin ------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
God damn!! you guys use real fire!! shockedM:-)~

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
lol @ marlboro. sarcasm is good at this hour.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
"Well, I used to use fake fire, but no-one else could see it...""That's right, it's all done wiht mirrors""Don't worry folks, he's try anything to stop people looking at his toupe...""As long as your throw real MONEY, it doesn't really matter""Let me prove it to you, pass me your cellphone sir..."But normally I just say "yes, actually it is real fire!"------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
"no. it's 2 small children with looonnng blonde hair on the end of two shoelaces."

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
quote:
Is That Real Fire?
As opposed to . . . ? rolleyesPeople use to ask me that when I was a juggler and we were passing torches. I found it to be amazing. And what is this "Cold Fire" stuff that people seem to think exists?It all reminds me of a Frank Zappa tune (Was it on Joe's Garage?)[woman] Bob, the actors are pissing on us![man] Don't worry Margaret, it's probably some special "stage piss". You know, comes right out with woolite.

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
*lmao*stage piss.. excellent.what? you take your pants down for food?well ill have you know i have an orange in my bag... AND ITS REAL!!!ive never had peopl ask me if the fire was real.. theve asked me if ive hurt myself with it.. i havent really.. sometime si like to make up injuries just cuase its funny to see the looks on there faces

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Ya know Scortcha, that's a good idea:"...make up injuries..."I have a road burn on my left arm hehe i'll just say it's a wrap gone bad heheKinudin smile Off to do evil planning! smile

FirePoi-boymember
71 posts

Posted:
A while back somebody asked me:"Whats the point?"I don't like it when people question the simplest things in life. And somehow:"Its pretty to look at"doesn't seem like a good enough answer.

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
just reading this thread and cant help it but i am just about to fall out of my chair...what moron would ask such a stupid question?...just tell them that it is a hologram and so are you and ask them to touch the fire for proof!!! still cant help but laugh....p.l.u.r.r.xtremravrare those really glowsticks?... wink~

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

TEK829member
29 posts

Posted:
*sigh* I was spinning Zunis in the local college union (dark outside, lots of windows, good reflections...) and a couple guys walked past. One said, "Well, there's a useless talent." :/I was so stunned, he was out the door before I could respond. frownI just don't understand the POINT of the insults. Nobody asks jugglers why. :/

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs at you. It's your choi

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Can you purchase the fuel for artificial fire in the same place that they sell shadow poi?

Jesus helps me trick people.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Tek - there really is no valid point to any insult smileFpb - The time I was stopped by a couple police when twirling fire on my driveway, they asked me what I was doing. I thought it was obvious, I said "I'm spinning these things around" (well duh?!) Then they asked "Why?", I was stumped and said "Entertainment!"

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
LOLIsn't it funny? We can ask each other why and spew off a million reasons but when a passerby says why, we go all "Uhhhhhhh..." on them. I had an interview this past week with a reporter (one of those let's sit down so I can ask you 50 questions type things) and he asked me that. My answer, why not? It is something I enjoy doing. It gives me a great workout, it is a very artful representation of my emotion, I make pretty good money at it and it breaks social norm, which is usually enough to get people to react somehow, which means they have emotion about what I am doing. I am getting to the point where people who ask me that get the full out answer I give you, only in hyper speak with alot of passion and conviction. Then when you have them really confused, ask them "Why'd you wear that shirt?" or some other nonsensical question and usually they will not have a response. It is really funny.I just thought of a simply answer to all of those stupid cold fire/real fire questions.(I do ask this question) "Have you ever heard or seen fake fire or cold fire?" the answer will always be No, obviously. "Well, you just answered your own question didn't you?" Should make them feel sheepish. Or you can always just very defiantly answer a strong the opposite of what they expect and know to be true. "No, it's not real fire. It is a really incredible replica though, isn't it?" or "Yes, it is cold." grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
yes its actually so cold it can burn you winkby the way the reporters interviewing all the superbowl coaches, athletes, et al never once said "by the way whats the point of throwing that ball around?"shit whats the point of anything when it all comes down to it...?------------------excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I got the whole "what's the point?" thing loads when I started and I would always turn it round to what halfabike said with the 'what's the point in anything' comment, except I'd sort of personalize it:If asked by a skater I'd reply...., "well, what's the point in skating? Our hobbies are something we enjoy and that interest us. That's the point." It makes people think, and usually smile too, if said in a genuine and non-arrogant way.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
waaaait a minute. i'm reading through this thread here...you mean you guys actually DO use real fire? Those pictures aren't made with photoshop? That's it, forget this poi thing...you people are crazy. grin

M@TTmember
34 posts

Posted:
I always seem to get the one drunk guy who steps up in front of the crowd after me and tries to twirl a cigarette. I can't help but feel sorry for the fool.------------------ -M@TTKeep the fire burning.

-M@TTKeep the fire burning.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Fire-poi boyI posted an answer about your "what is the point of that then?" question in my thread about Daves Party and lovely peopletoday. Hope it helps Drew

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It's like asking mountain climbers why they climb a mountain. To which the only reasonable answer is "Because it's there.""Why do you spin poi?" Because I can.------------------C@ntusI'm on to your game evil alien overlords.....

Meh

Pheelgoodmember
30 posts

Posted:
i read somewhere that poi is short for pointless, but that dosen't stop me...

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
*I always seem to get the one drunk guy who steps up in front of the crowd after me and tries to twirl a cigarette. I can't help but feel sorry for the fool*heh, in cirque de soleil, (cant remember which one) after a twirlere left the stage, a clown came out with a candle and started waving it in very slow circles, hehe, it amused me...but anyways, i spin because its so incredibly fun, and thats what i tell anyone when they ask me, and then try to coerce them into learning to twirl...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Page: