Forums > Social Chat > Have you ever been Mugged?

Login/Join to Participate

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Sorry about the topic, I realise it’s not a pleasant one, but I was hoping we could share experiences and maybe give each other some sound advice to avoid this happening to others, or heaven forbid, us again…I was mugged last night on my usual walk home and I'm a bit shaken by it…A man jumped on top me from behind, wrenched my mobile from my hand and ran off, flinging my specs across the road in the process. A very nice couple saw the guy running off and immediately came over, lit me a cigarette, dried my tears and helped me to blacklist my phone and switch off my SIM card with their own mobile. Pete and Lisa, wherever you are, you’re amazing, thank you.As I think through the experience I realise that I could have walked a different route home, one better lit, one with more people one it. I could have not used my mobile as I walked. I could have reacted faster and elbowed him as he attacked me. But the truth is that there was very little I could do at the time…And then should we change our lives, force ourselves to live differently so this doesn’t happen to us? Diminish our personal liberty? Or do I take my safety less seriously now that I live in London and not in South Africa anymore?All these questions, but maybe you could help me find the answers. What are your experiences?CPS: Shaken, not stirred, I am the 007 Martini! wink

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
first of all let me give you a big hug and tons of smiles
Non-Https Image Link
Carrey, I don't think you should think too much in terms of what YOU did wrong what YOU should have done... Trust me, from my experience I can tell you that whatever you are the victim of, you'll go on and on wondering what YOU did wrong !!! the answer is NOTHING.I do think that your points are relevant in terms of security : when I take the metro late at night I stand in the front car, next to the driver, I pick crowded streets rather than empty ones etc... But at some point I've become slightly paranoid and I know I am mising on stuff because of that sometimes.No matter how careful you are, you can never prevent something from happening, so don't forget to live and enjoy.And Kudos to you for speaking about it...
Non-Https Image Link
The worst thing is to NOT talk and keep it all inside. I've done that about many things and have paid a very high price for keeping everything for myself.Shine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Wow Cassandra...thank you so much...C

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Oh my god! That's hideous!! F**king B*****d!!!! Scum!! Ahhh!!!!!!!Very angry, will calm down now....I hope you're OK and mentally recover! Big hugs and smiles to ya smileMuggings are a hideous crime because they not only affect you by stealing your possessions, but they violate you physically and that really makes you feel vunerable. The mental aspect to crime is something that's often overlooked, especially by the criminal scum who tend to think of it as only material theft.Luckily I've not been mugged, maybe the height thing helps, but then I know a 20 stone 6 foot 6 guy who got mugged in Brixton. Separately 2 friends of mine got mugged last Friday in Clapham, walking from a party to the bus stop! But after being the victim of many thefts I've come to the conclusion that you try to make yourself safer and a less likely victim, but you don't let them affect your life too much. E.g. Carrying a personal alarm, taking a different route is probably wise, but becoming paranoid isn't going to achieve anything.Background for non Brits - Phone muggings are becoming really common, and phone companies refuse to do anything to limit e.g. by making stolen phones unusable. Apparently the phone companies profit well from the use of stolen phones. People using mobile phones on the street are increasingly likely to get mugged for the phone, and it often gets violent. A girl recently got shot in the head for a phone because she resisted! It's only a phone, cancelled in a minute, replaced in a day. It's the physical and mental scars that last. Somebody draws a knife on me for my phone, it's theirs!

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi there,I am quite a well built bloke so dont usually get very much trouble. However on the walk home a couple of years ago (after more than one or 2 beers), someone got out of a car and asked to borrow my mobile to phone the RAC. He dialed the number and then dived back into the car, at this point I grabbed hold of the back of the rear door and the engine started, (being drunk I was going to get my phone back). This just meant that I ran along side of the car and then did a high speed forward roll in the road!I think the lesson to be learnt from this is that there are opportunists out there so try and be a little more vigilent and where possible make sure you have someone to walk home with.PS Cassandra I love your smiley smile

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
Carrey, if only my Aunt had balls she would be my Uncle.Life is full of only if's there is really nothing you can do to change you life so things like this dont happen. Sometimes shit just happens, and if you try to change you life to adjust you will only be living a life that you dont want to live anyway.Dont change a thing about who you are, do be saftey concious but not to the point that you have to become miserable with it.Hope this has helped, anyway now you get to have a new phone smile

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Hey, thanks for that...you'll be pleased to know I don't intend to change much about my life. A small change to the route I take walking home, and generally being more careful about walking by myself. Nothing major...just sensible...Getting a new phone is the bitch of it (if you would excuse my language.) If I want the phone I had, I have to buy it at it's normal retail price, i.e. £250 and additionally (this is the insane bit) I have to pay £150 in upgrade charges!! (What the f***??) I think the UK mobile network providers make a lot of money from theft. Plus, even though One2One have "black-listed" the phone from their network, there's nothing to stop the guy putting it on any one of the several other providers...and apparently, it's too expensive for them to arrange connectivity...I smell a conspiracy...Insurance...yeah, didn't have any. From now on I think I would prefer to have insurance and not need it, than need insurance and not have it...case in point. wink(Slightly altered from it's orginal phrasing from True Romance, possibly one of the greatest films of all time...IMHO)C

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
"Amid the chaos of the day one sentence kept echoing in my head... You're so cool... You're so cool... You're so cool." -Alabama, True Romance.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Ok this is a subject that I have a GREAT story to tell. I work in downtown Boston in the Financial district. One night one of the guys from the mailroom that I know was doing a delivery from one financial institution to another when 2 guys jumped out at him demanded that he turn over all of his money.In very broken English my co-worker in the mailroom replied that he doesn't carry money at work told them to please leave him alone. One of the pulled out a knife and threatened him again to give up his wallet or get hurt.Now here is where it get funny. My Co-worker is from Korea, and is nationally ranked in Tai Kwan Do. My Co-worker is names Sang Tran and is a 8th Degree black belt. He was taught Tai Kwan Do by his father. The first assailant with the knife got a boot to the melon and dropped like a rock. The second was punched in the throat and was sent to the infirmary.I guess Sang finished his mail drop and when her got back to work told his manager "Oh by the way, someone tried to mug me." like this was an everyday occurrence.The security guards that monitor the building saw the tape of that night and still cringe at the retelling of what he did.------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
A while ago one of my friends was mugged by a 12 year old for his drink just after coming out of the shop where he bought it. Since we were 21 at the time, and it only cost about 30p, we just started laughing as my friend stood there in disbelief. We're never going to let him forget it.Right, now for the serious part.Mugging doesn't seem to be considered as serious a crime as it is, no-one seems to realise it's very invasive until they get mugged too.Mobile phone theft is especially bad. More specifically, what's not being done about mobile phone theft is especially bad.It makes me furious when I know that the manufacturers and network providers can easily cut down the number of muggings by adding very little to their phones. Short of a mass protest and petition, I can't see them doing anything about it though, since it'll cost them money which they're much too concerned about.Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your mugging Carrey, I hope it doesn't happen to you again.------------------Bovril - It's liquid cow y'know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I am sooo sorry...I have never been "mugged" per say, but i have had my fair share of beatings and gun points living where i did.The entire experience can be horifying, but the most important thing is that you did not get hurt. Thank God.Second, is what cassandra has already said, dont think in terms of what you did wrong, because you didnt do anything wrong. You were the victim, and that guy is the piece of shit that deserves to have his ass handed to him in a doggie bag.But if i could give any advice it would be this. Your awareness is your best defense. People at times, including myself, tend to walk along oblivious to what is happening around us. Dont walk around scared, but keep your eyes open, your head up, and consciously identify your surroundings and the people in it.And if i was there, i would have ran the bastard down, drug him back to you, made him apologize, kiss your feet, then let you jump him and take his walet. Then strip him clothes off, tie him to the nearest street sign and take a permanent marker and write on his face.."I like to mug people because i am lazy, chicken, peice of shit, please slap me"Again we are all happy you are ok. This world sometimes and the people in it...Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Wow...have I ever said how much I love this site and all the people in it?...enough of the mush...Superman - ROFLMAO x2It's almost worth getting mugged again, so you can do that for me! winkC