Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi Guys,I have finally managed to get a couple of the Poi Videos thst I have made mounted on the web smile https://www.bath.ac.uk/~chpmpp/So
far there are a couple of me when I had only been twirling for a couple of weeks, one of Woody with Wire Wool smile and one of me with my new Double Headed Poi grinMore to follow very soon hopefully smile------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

Boomshekamember
2 posts

Posted:
Hey Mark what was used for the Wire Wool video? It was a great effect in my opinion.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I /reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely/ wanna do Sparkily Poi with that "Woody Wool" stuff. *taps Malcom* Put it in the store wink hehe

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi Guys,Right the wire wool is really simple. All you need is some chicken wire and a large quantity of wire wool. The deal is you make 2 cages that you can swing well and fill them with wire wool. It is sometimes a little difficult to light them but once they are going swing em and sparks a plenty smileYou have to be a little careful as they are molten steel! (in the video Woody hits himself and that gave a nasty little burn through 2 layers of material)I should have another wire wool video (of me at the same event) posted very soon smile I will let people know smile------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

Boomshekamember
2 posts

Posted:
Is there anything safer that gives the sparkly poi effect? Something that isn't shooting molten steel through the air?

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Well I have been experimenting with lots of homemade stuff which I hope soon to have some video footage of.The nearest you can get to wire wool with some safety is sparklers. I use 3 or 4 of the monster variety (longer and fatter) bound together with some copper wire. Only thing is if you dont buy your sparklers in bulk they are quite expensive for a relatively short burn.Wire wool has potential for being dangerous but a good tip is to just stich to weaves ad turns as they are less dangerous. However without the element of danger it is very hard to re-create the wire wool effect seen and hey it wouldnt be the same without a little danger would it :PMark P.PS I am at the moment awaiting the recipie for making my own sparklers so I hope to have some better results with these soon smile[This message has been edited by Mark P (edited 08 February 2002).]

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
Perhaps you could tie a whole bunch of sparklers together?heh

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
thats what I said in the above message :PM.

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
I've seen other ppl post about wrapping the wire wool around your existing wicks. That way you have slightly less molten steel flying around but still get the true sparkley effect.....how the hell do you spell sparkely coz that don't look right!------------------"The tincture of night began to suffuse the soup of the afternoon. He considered the sentence, and found it good. He liked 'tincture' particularly. Tincture. Tincture. It was a distinguished word, and pleasantly countered by the flatness of 'soup'. The soup of the afternoon. Yes. In which may be found the croutons of teatime."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
According to the Word97 spell check, it's spelt 'sparkly'------------------Bovril - It's liquid cow y'know

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
To be honest people I dont really think there is a problem with wire wool as long as :1. You make sure you are an adequate distance from any crowd.2. You are an adequate distance away from anything you could dammage3. You have practiced with the cages and dont do anything that you arent happy with or dont always pull off.I have found it is best to stick to weaving and turning with the wire wool but it all depends on your capability. smileHowever a couple of no no's would be burn the nose and corkscrew as I recon these would inflict nasty injuries even if you were completely in control! :P

Belrockmember
33 posts

Posted:
so the only way to do sparkly poi is to build my own setup? I can't alter my current chains? Attatching some wool to the wicks or something? i think someone should get their ass busy and start inventing a perminent sparkly poi setup that we can buy in the HoP store ::cough:: malcom

Fire Demon of the Dwarven world...I am Belrock

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Well the best way is to make some cages thy are easy to make and I an sure I spent less than 10 gbp on a pair smileThe most expensive part was the wire wool as we havent found a decent bulk supplier as yet.------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Just thought I would bump this one as I have managed to upload quite a few more videos smilehttps://www.bath.ac.uk/~chpmppalso have a look at some of the double poi pics :https://wood2.woodyland.org/pictures/poi/poi_03022002/page.shtml

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
With this pic you are really fulfilling the west country sterotype!Anyway, back on topic, those double poi look good. Espically like the long exposure pic.The ghastly competitive devil in me says, 'hey, have a look at my triple poi!' However they were rather heavy and unresponsive, so I removed one wick.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi Dom,That is Caroline from Bristol Circus soc that you put the link up for smile (she is french I think and it was very ammusing at the time smileLike your pics too haing a look at the moment smile

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
WOW ... DOm ... AMAZING TRIPLE POI and AMAZING HUGE WICK !!!!!::jaw drops::please make sure you bring'em over next time you visit Paris, OK ? really impressive...MarkP, sorry but I can't seem to open any of the video... do you have any tips of what to do or am I just cursed ? winkshine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm Sorry Cassandra,I am unsure as to why you cant see them frownThey are in standard mpg format and run with most players - Real Player, Windows Media Player, Xine etc.I am going to have to try and make some quad poi now smileMArk.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Cassandra, try right clicking and downloading the movies locally before playing them. Then load them in Windows Media PlayerMark, we've both already been beaten! by 6 wicks and Adam Rice has a 5 wick string of pearls. However as they're in the US there's no chance of them coming along to your local and blowing you away wink

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
Wierd, I don't remember reading Mark P's post before I wrote mine :PCool vids though smile------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

NoNoymember
10 posts

Posted:
wire wool...humm i never heard of that stuff.I'm just woundering where to get someof that stuff.can anyone help me out??? thanks smile

I don't dance, i let the music dance me.

HOP Newsletter