Page:
Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
Having recently been at a music festival in Sydney a mate of mine noticed a lot of people breaking open thier glowsticks swrling the stuff around in thier mouths and as a result thier mouths glowed. I was thinking, what do you think the result would be if you soaked your pois in glowstick juice? Has anyone tried this, if so what happens?Take it easy.

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Isn't that stuff toxic????

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
I don't think it's all that toxic ... but people should probably remember that there is smashed glass floating around ... so that's something to be careful of. Given what other things ravers put into their bodies though ... it's probably not too much of a concern for them.We did a show a while ago where we couldn't use fire ... so instead we tied strips of calico (cheap offwhite cottony material) to the ends of our staffs and poi ... then we broke open different colours of glow sticks and poured stripes of colours over the fabric. It made a pretty good effect and might be worth experimenting further for any of you glow children.Ðraevon.

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
I'll prpobably play with fire for a while, i lit up last night for the first time and it was an experiance. I just did a coouple simple moves but that was enough to know that i'm not quite ready yet, but what a rush! I might try again in a few weeks time when I get it together more.But yeah i'll see what happen when you soack a poi in Glow juice.take it easy

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
I had the thought a while back of blowing with it... glow breathing

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
Actually, the stuff in the glowsticks isnt toxic at all. that's what it says on the label anyway. its good that way because then you dont have to be worried about toxic chemicals when you use them. 100% safe. Except for the glass shards that are in there after you bend and snap them, like draeven said.-Hapes-Nova, stick raver, string raver

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
thi is what it says on one of the wrappers on my glowsticks, and i quotesafe non-toxic non-flammableImportant:Ingredients are non-toxic and non-flammable but may permanently stain clothing or furnature. contact with eyes may cuase temporary discomfort similar to getting soap in eyes. In case of contact with skin or eye contact, wash throughly with water do not drink or ingest contents... (thats all there is on any importants)------------------bring light into the night[This message has been edited by emptyset (edited 06 February 2001).]

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
break the glowstick open without breaking the glass capsule. then pour the liquid into another container, removing the capsule. Break the capsule into a small container, and pour that into the other liquid. I thin glow breath would be entirley possible.

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
I think it would be entirely entertaining to see a crowd and venue showered with a fine mist of glowfluid. I imagine glowbreathing would turn out to be quite expensive.Ðraevon

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
But it would be fantastic once in a while, and besides if you donwant to go to all the trouble of breaking it without glass shards why not use a sieve to get rid of the glass shards.By the way how difficult is fire breathing?

Alexlexexmember
24 posts

Posted:
What happens when you soak poi in Glow juice? You spin off then hit whoever is whatching or maybe, just maybe if and only if your lucky, project shards of glass at them O=o)------------------NY Firebats"A shirt that is soaked in fuel burns very nicely." - Not By Me[This message has been edited by Alexlexex (edited 06 February 2001).]

NY FirebatsA shirt that is soaked in fuel burns very nicely. - Not By Me

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
I guess that answears my question. So have you done that before Alexlexex?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
How many glowsticks would it take to get a shots worth of liquid for a blow? And isn't it thicker than most fuels...so wouldn't it be hard to aspirate..tho I agree it would be amazing to see...like a human fountain thing.Hmmmm...thoughts......and Oats, fire breathing isn't nearly as hard as it looks.Practice with water first though.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking about it for a while actually. I think that the liquid could be thinned out. I have friends that have mixed it with cold cream/grease paint to make glow makeup. It may have that warning label, but go look at the label on any fuel used for breathing. I think I may give it a go. Now that I think about it, It may be possible to buy the two chemicals in bulk.-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
you probably could buy the 2 chemicals used in glowsticks, but you'd have to find out what they are first. Omniglow probably isnt going to tell someone what chemicals they use, because then they would lose business. People would start making homemade glowsticks, or other companies would begin making their own too. You could find someone who works in chemical analysis to figure out the chemical compunds though. Theres probably another way to find out, but i dunno.-Hapes-Nova, sticker stringer

Alexlexexmember
24 posts

Posted:
To Oats: Not glow stick juice, but I did with camp fuel. grin[This message has been edited by Alexlexex (edited 06 February 2001).]

NY FirebatsA shirt that is soaked in fuel burns very nicely. - Not By Me

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
You could probably thin it out just fine with beer, though I find that oils usually aspirate more easily. I used to go to parties where one of the somewhat infamous drinks had glowstick juice as one of its key ingredients... Everyone that drank it is still alive to the best of my knowledge, though I have heard that their liquid output was a rather unusual shade of sickly blue in the morning. (That part may be urban legend. I must admit I never actually got to see anyone's pee the next day, and I wasn't old enough to drink before the practice of drinking "swamp gas" itself was banned by the premesis...) I can't say too much about whether or not it caused any brain damage, as whether or not any of my friends are quite right in the head is all a matter of opinion anyway... I will say, however, that the drink itself, when served over dry ice in a clear glass, was quite impressive. (Now it is served with a psylum stick in it, and purveyers of the original drink swear up and down that it "just isn't the same...")

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
the secret of the ingredients shouldnt be that hard to find out. a scientist would most probaly know cause they deal with chemicals and a chemical reaction that gives off a glow would be in there field of work. it might be on the net. could be possible to find out

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
Alex- camp fuel?So is this going to become a colaboration to find out the secrets of the chemiacals in glow sticks? Secondly, fire breathing. What do you do? Spit out fuel in a fine mist and light it?Uncertainty is mounting.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Oats,It's a little bit more than spitting, which when you spit it is a stream of liquid. You need to aspirate, which is blowing it out in a fine mist towards a flame that is at, from my learnings, at least a 45 degree angle above you and at least 18 inches away from your mouth (blowing straight out makes a dragon's blow which is very dangerous).To aspirate you need to get your lips to vibrate, much the way you do when making a horse noise or playing a trumpet. I hold about a shots worth of fuel (Kero and recently I tried lamp oil) between my tongue and teeth after taking a deep breath and I aspirate. I **never** use camp fuel (Coleman or white gas) because the risk of blowbacks (flame igniting the fumes and following the fumes back to your mouth) is extremely high.If you are going to try this...practice loads with water first, you'll find it's harder to aspirate than most fuels used for blows. If you have any doubts, don't try it with fire, it is really amazing but not worth injury.Best to you.....------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that Pele. Right another question for you. You were talking about your costume for a show. Are you a professional in that respect when it comes to most things to do with fire? Who else does this for a living?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Oats,I would be concidered a performer, yup. I have been performing theater and music for over 17 years, at Renaissance Faires and the like for about 10 of those and doing fire for a few. I do fire at Ren faires and whatever else I can get hired to do it for, but I do also perform in other arenas, such as non-fire stage acts, I sing in a band and teach interactive and improv theater at a local college. Not bad for 27 years old, eh? I can support myself performing, though not strictly with fire, yet that is changing by the day (got signed for three more faires today). Whether or not I am professional...hehehehe...well, that is to be determined! wink (and I am still learning in all the performance arenas..I fully believe as soon as I think I have something mastered someone comes along to teach me more..I love it! grin)It's funny though for while this is a business I own and a lifestyle I live I still concider it a hobby more than anything, while working at the college is my job. I think in my mind I still think I just can't have this much fun at work!Are you concidering trying to make this into a career? It is alot of hard work but worth every bump in the road!Best of luck to you Oats....and when the time is right, the fires will call to you. And if it never does, there are still so many amazing things to do with swinging, just don't give up!!!!!best of luck and safety in all your endeavors! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
pele, u mentioned be4 about fire breathing, any other tips on how to make it into a mine mist? some people said there gonna teach me soon so ive been practicing with water heaps. i can get 50 50 mist cause theres a spit of solid water that comes out aswell, any hints. i just want to get it down pat be4 i try using flames.

ffirebellGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Hey, my Dads a professor of Chemistry, I'll ask him the ingredients in glo stix! It could be a few days before I find out tho, cuz hes in Aussie, and I'll be in Taiwan... I love glow sticks but I feel bad about the waste, I recycled all my dead glo stix this summer cuz the recycle place took hard plastics, but not everywhere takes that type of plastic. I think I wanna try the krill lights instead, something battery powered anyways. Batteries are always recyclable, even if you have to send them away to be recycled, it'd be cheaper and less bulky to send batteries to be recycled than glo stuff. As for spitting it.. probly looks cool but... yukky!!! I want to spit stuff (fire or glo) but I have a block about putting yukky stuff in my mouth... is parrafin as yukky as kero?? Happy Swingin'!

Fairie's wear boots.

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
My Dad's a chemist too, but he says that the spectrographic analysis that would be necessary is rather expensive, and not guaranteed to give us anything readily useable. (He specializes in chlorine related developement, so couldn't give me any hunches off the top of his head.)I wonder if there's any way of looking up a patent for the express purpose of impinging on it??? (Did I say that out loud?)SMITTY: This is going to sound gross, but use less tongue, and you should get the spray you want. I used to have that same problem, but then I realized that if I relied on wind only to carry the water out of my mouth, rather than trying to push it out with my tongue, the dribble problem was aleviated. Think of it like wind blowing spray off the surfac of the ocean...Oats: I too have performed for a living, but never have I lived off of fire. I've been a ballet dancer, a stripper, and a featured entertainer. (The last is where the fire enters into play.) I'm a much more run of the mill performer than our dear Pele. More to see if I could beat the system than for any love of the game...

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
here's something real out of the ordinary both my dad and my mom are chemistsJesse you said that to really find what in them u would have to use spectrographic analysis, we'll i guess im a real lucky one cuase my parents have a mass spectrometer in their lab that they use to find the chemical make-up of biological chemicals. i have to ask them if someone could use it to find what a glowstick it made from------------------bring light into the night

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
emptyset, could your parents also analyze non-biological chemicals? im not sure what exactly glow stick juice is, but my hunch is thst they are inorganic. but what do i know. you could probably find out something. i might end up asking my mom, because her job is specifically to find out what something is. Literally, people give her stuff and say, what is this? i assume she could figure out the chemical composition of pretty much anything, but im not sure. Her official job title is analytical chemist. Shes real busy right now so i dont really wanna bother her with our petty curiosities. but maybe i'll ask her to do it sometime.Hapes-Nova, semi-curious glowstick user

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
I believe a lot of the problem is that the spectrographic analysis is the **easy** part. That may tell you what it is, but not how it was done. Like I can tell you what goes into a cake, but if you just pour all the ingredients into a bowl, it isn't cake. You have to stir it and then bake it at a specific temperature for a specific amount of time. Spectrographic analysis will tell you about the eggs, sugar and flour, but not about any of the rest of it... Ya dig?[This message has been edited by Jesse (edited 08 February 2001).]

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
true true

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
Yes there is that little problem of putting stuff together, but lets face it, its a start.Jesse, i to have tried the stripping road, but then i realised that i lack rhythem and can't dance so packed that one in.What are these Ren faires that you are taking part in?

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Neither my mum or dad is a chemist frown

Page: