PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Malcolm and I were talking earlier about why people become publically presented artists.It is really easy to keep spinning for the joy in your back yard and at friends parties.Recently my email box and HoP seems to have an upsurgence of "I am looking to be a professional performer" type things, which is not bad at all, mind you.What I am curious about is why do you want to become a performer?For me, I have always been a performer. From dancing when I was very young to stage and singing to improv and now fire. As much as I am a writer and fill my words with passion, I do the same for every personality on stage and for every movement and show. It is a release, an escape, for me and I truly go batty when I don't get it. In a way it is a validation as well. There are times when I feel I have no other purpose in life than to try to make people feel...to laugh, to cry, to awe, to fear, to think and wonder, and to present it in a way that is outside thier comfortable norm. Performing allows me to validate that purpose, that desire, to express my emotion and make others feel at the same time. There is no feeling in the world than watching people's faces shift and fill with any emotion, and knowing some part of me (however distant that character might be from the *real* me) did that. And I say any emotion because I am an extremely passionate and sensative person. I *feel* all the time and I see so many going through the daily grind seemingly void of all feeling. I don't understand that but it makes my sense of purpose even stronger. I told Malcolm a friend once said that he does his art for himself, not to share with others, that if others like it or not, he doesn't care. He creates it for himself, he shares it to make money. I sheepishly admit, that is part of my reasoning as well. As long as I do my art(s) and I do them at very least adequately, I might as well make money from it. smileAnyway, those are my reasons, and that is what drives me everyday to rehearse, work out, design, create, plot, plan, research and study...even when I am feeling lazy. winkWhat are yours?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I am no where near a professional level in poi yet, and I don't think where I am located a job would be taken very seriously unless I went to work in a club in Boston or something. However, I still practice everyday for the sheer enjoyment of it. The first time that I even spun in front of people was at a club and I couldn't do more than a forward weave or butterfly. But people still cheered me on and I found that it was such a rush. So everytime I spin in front of people now, I just seem to let out this insane, fast paced show where I can 10 times as many moves and get the first rush that I did the first time. I think thats why I keep at it because I think it's really fun. Image is nothing, fun is everything smile------------------www.ahh-thepooh.net <>

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Why not? winkAxis

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i think its mainly becuase people have the fascination of getting payed for something that they love to do. or something they could bever get tired of doing. Just my2 cents.."S"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
I have been paid to dance in the past, and it is a natural step for me to go from performing in dance to performing with fire/other toys. I think the reason I want to be a performer is that it is needed. The same way some people want to become actors, performing, acting, singing etc it is all the same.However it isn't *really* a regulated industry. If I was hired to perform, I would look at the venue and the type of job they wanted me to do and think of something that would fit there instead - take for example a band. I would then look at how much a band would cost them for the night, then of course work back from there to determine how much I'm worth. The added danger of fire, but I'm only one person etc etc.Or I would work out how much I'm worth - the cost of equipment over time, practice hours etc would determine how much I charged. I have yet to be hired professionaly for fire yet though, only some performances at friends birthday parties. This is because I haven't advertised though, and I don't know if I will, I think I would prefer to be better before I put myself out there, the same way I did around 4 years dance before I was confident enough to take a job with a group.

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Malcom, you are one together dude. I know everyone says it but thanks for this site and for being the totally nice guy you are.Reading your attitude put a big smile on my face.

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
I am/was (getting there) the most performance shy person ever - to the point of shaking. I started doing it with friends i met whilst travelling and people would be drawn to the fire. I got used to a few strangers coming over and 'wowing, ooing and aaarring' then someone asked me to do a bar-b-q in front of about 40 strangers and i said no - but i felt ashamed and decided that i would get over my fear. so i did and by the end i was loving it.from there ive sort of progressed. i sometimes busk when i am in real need of some cash, and im doing a wedding in June (shitting myself but). I guess its a natural progression. People love to watch, you get to love to love them watch and then you think why not let people show there appreciaton when you need them too.id agree with Superman, the best job in the world one you enjoy.