Page:
Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Howdy y'all... as they say (or as the cliche would have it) in the US of A. winkHmmm... this is something I've noticed recently. The language barrier between the US and the UK isnt really that wide, but there are quite a few words/phrases/mannerisms that set us apart and do cause a little confusion.I would like this thread to act as a sort of dictionary for those little quirks that could bring an otherwise perfectly normal conversation to a grinding halt. I will start with a few that are familiar to me, and I would be interested to see what anyone else comes up with. (For info.. I am British through and through, but I was educated in American schools; by Americans for the first nine years of my school life..)So, here goes... and yes, there will be a certain amount of overlap..US - - - UKPants = TrousersJockey/boxer shorts = pants/cak's/skidssidewalk = pavementPet peeves = pet hates winkFootball = American footballSoccer = footballTruck = lorryFall = autumndude = bloke/geezerbucks = quid/squid/doshSAT exams = GCSE's, 'A' / 'AS' levelsjello = jellyjelly = jamzuccini? = courgette'thanks' etc = cheers/'ta''cool'/'wicked' etc = 'ace'/pukkerfender = bumperwindshield = windscreenpals/friends etc = matesrubber = condom/jonny/hat/something for the weekend, Sir??eraser = rubberstraightedge = rulerbooger/boogie = bogey/pug/quick snack.. just kidding smileflashers = indicatorsgear lever = gear sticktrunk = boot (of car)hood = bonnetlawyer/attourney = solicitor/barristerpoi = poi smileThats all I can think of at the moment, but feel free to add/correct or whatever..ps: I can think of PLENTY that are probably a little risquee for this site... smile------------------Kato

Kato

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
All this translation stuff, and no one talks about the important stuff…Poi movesI learnt poi with a lot of club swingers, with the whole Britain and Indian club swinging thing (just found out that my gran swing indian clubs in 1920's in london in a display with 2000 people OMG)… back in the olden day, poi moves in UK were known by their club swinging name, which is how I learnt them, and being a sentimental old doffer I still cling to.Heres some… Cross follow= Abbreviation of Cross and follow = 3 beat weaveExtra loop in cross follow = 5 beat weave(ie you can put the extra loop in anything, so consider it a move on its own) Push Throughs = cat paws = Thread The Needle The punch = reverse TTNWaist wrap = not a wrap at all but a very lovely move Reels and extended reels ???any more CS to poi translations?Night nightGlass

Page: