Page:
Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Howdy y'all... as they say (or as the cliche would have it) in the US of A. winkHmmm... this is something I've noticed recently. The language barrier between the US and the UK isnt really that wide, but there are quite a few words/phrases/mannerisms that set us apart and do cause a little confusion.I would like this thread to act as a sort of dictionary for those little quirks that could bring an otherwise perfectly normal conversation to a grinding halt. I will start with a few that are familiar to me, and I would be interested to see what anyone else comes up with. (For info.. I am British through and through, but I was educated in American schools; by Americans for the first nine years of my school life..)So, here goes... and yes, there will be a certain amount of overlap..US - - - UKPants = TrousersJockey/boxer shorts = pants/cak's/skidssidewalk = pavementPet peeves = pet hates winkFootball = American footballSoccer = footballTruck = lorryFall = autumndude = bloke/geezerbucks = quid/squid/doshSAT exams = GCSE's, 'A' / 'AS' levelsjello = jellyjelly = jamzuccini? = courgette'thanks' etc = cheers/'ta''cool'/'wicked' etc = 'ace'/pukkerfender = bumperwindshield = windscreenpals/friends etc = matesrubber = condom/jonny/hat/something for the weekend, Sir??eraser = rubberstraightedge = rulerbooger/boogie = bogey/pug/quick snack.. just kidding smileflashers = indicatorsgear lever = gear sticktrunk = boot (of car)hood = bonnetlawyer/attourney = solicitor/barristerpoi = poi smileThats all I can think of at the moment, but feel free to add/correct or whatever..ps: I can think of PLENTY that are probably a little risquee for this site... smile------------------Kato

Kato

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
P.Si have also found that there are many many names and terms for hooded sweatshirtseastern canada = hoodieswestern canada= buddie hugs / or bunnyhuggerssome places they say kangaroo jacket, sweater, hooded sweatshirt, etc.it was pretty funny they day a guy from newfoundland came in asking if we sold bunniehugs.. ha ha ha omg it was funny

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Some more US / UK ...buns = buttocks ?ass = arse ?fanny = bum ?tush = arse ?p#ssy = fannyweiner = willy ?ummm... freeway = motorway ?------------------Kato

Kato

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
i've heard in some circles 'hats' being reffered to as joints, but thats in new zealand, i don't mean to bust in on your conversation.

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Hey.. feel free to bust in.. add to the madness!!! smile------------------Kato

Kato

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
I can’t believe the Aussies didn’t pipe in to say that “tukka” (or tucker?) was food in Australia!I think we could do this with lots of different English speaking countries, so how about doing the Aussies a bit?Anyone know the words to “Waltzing Matilda?” We used to sing it at school, but never understood half of it until I lived in Sydney…and still really don’t…help!Oh wait, I found the words:Oh, there once was a swagman camped in the billabong,(swagman = ? Billabong = river, water hole)Under the shade of a coolibah tree,And he sang as he looked at the old billy boiling,(billy = ?)Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?Down came the jumbuck to drink at the water-hole,(Jumbuck = Kangaroo)Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee,And he sang as he put him away in his tucker-bag,You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me. Up came the Squatter a-ridding his thoroughbred,Up came Policemen - one, two and three,Whose is that jumbuck you've got in the tucker-bag,(tucker = food)You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me. The swagman he up and he jumped in the water-hole,Drowning himself by the coolibah tree,And his ghost may be heard as it sings by the billabong,Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me? The Aussies always did get me with their calling dinner or supper “tea”, but then I discovered some parts of England do that as well. Tea is a drink, not a food! wink

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
let us not forget that other crucial problem US - to f*ck -> Aus(uk?)= to root->US to root = to cheer for (a sports team) -> Aus(UK?) to barrack(sp?) so, to 'root, root, root for the home team' is uhm, interesting in aus.also!pasture = paddockchicken = chook(sorry if my stuff is aus. specific though i found that most people from the uk got by a lot easier there than americans did language wise...also, no one ever actually says any of those phrases they list in lonely planet guides, my flatmates had no idea what any of them were. probably the only thing its useful for is finding out what they call a particular size beer in any given region/city...someone care to take that on?)

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
a billy is a cooking pot. pere

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
What... for cooking your goat in..?? smile

Kato

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Oh yes...ta!

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
??? and... ??? smile

Kato

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
maybe a very small goat...would that be a goatee? smileaus..cockie-cockatooaus...drongo-a bird-a stupid person...because real spangled drongos actually migrate south (toward the colder half of the country) for the winterjust some more random facts smile[This message has been edited by Peregrine (edited 02 February 2002).]

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Resume = CV in UK I think..??baaahh.. chomp chomp chomp.. smileIf you get called a 'pillock' in the UK, what would the US equivelent be..?? Dork, dufus, clutz, cluster-fuck..?? smile------------------Kato

Kato

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Dork and doofus are generally "not cool people". Clutz is someone who falls down alot. A clutz can be a dork, but a dork isn't always a clutz.A clusterf*** is usually not a person, but a situation where many things are going wrong.------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Wrenmember
33 posts

Posted:
Hrm, okay...this one has been bothering me for some time...What the hell does the word "piker" (not sure if I spelled that correctly) mean? I assume its not a good thing, seeing as how the people I see on the tele aren't very happy when they say it, but it'd be good to know.

-WrenAnd that, my friends, is condensed evil.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I've never heard the word used but I believe it's something akin to "bugger", unless you're thinking of "pikey" which is an Irish Gypsy (at least according to the movie Snatch it is)

Jesus helps me trick people.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I am the only person I know down here Carrey who calls supper 'supper' and not 'tea' frown

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
A piker is a cheapskate, a stingy person. It's not distinctly UK slang either.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Wrenmember
33 posts

Posted:
Ok, thanks. Yeah, I had looked it up, but the definition (cheapskate) given just didn't seem angry enough for the situations I'd seen it used in. And yes, one of the places I'd heard it used was on "Snatch," but I assumed it was more a general term of disrespect seeing as how I'd heard it used in other situations with no Irish Gypsies involved. Of course, could be a different word. That and I've never heard it spoken in the Midwest. Yeah, thanks.-------------------Wren"Well, what d'ya think we should do?" "Hrm, well, I could throw the babies out of the tower and you could catch them in a basin..." "A basin?!?" "Yes, a basin." "Well, that might just work..."

-WrenAnd that, my friends, is condensed evil.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
A piker here is kinda similar to a "party-pooper". Someone that wusses out on a big night, or goes to bed early can be called a piker. Or someone that changes their mind about doing something because it involves too much energy/time/danger etc.A jumbuck is a sheep not a kangaroo. smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

kAte*member
15 posts

Posted:
ive noticed that here in australia we tend to shorten names of things, and add an "o" or "ie" to the end... or maybe its not just us?egservo = service stationarvo/s'arv = this afternoonbottle-o = bottle shoppostie = postmanbarbie = barbequefourbie = 4WDand the list goes on.. and on.. :P this rule tends to apply to *anything*also some more differences between australian/american:lollies = candypetrol = gasshop = storetorch = flashlightknickers = pantiesrubbish = trashand wren brought up the word 'piker'... when used in context here, it means like, someone who can't hack it - a quitter. like a mate of mine is known as 'sir pike-a-lot' cos hes always the first to get drunk and pass out *heehee*

Neph23BRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
smile Someone via instant message handed me a Duvet once... which was the begining of a long conversation of trying to explain words to each other. I have sense learned that a Duvet is like a blanket and not to eat it. A Snog is not a fuzzy animal, and the post is the mail not a stamp.Though, to this day I can not explain the term Woah,or Ooooo... then to top it off, this poor woman has to desifer my crappy gramer and spelling...da' end

King LouieJungle V.I.P.
19 posts

Posted:
woah and ooooare both sound affects which UK audiences add to all fireworks displays along with ahhhCousin Louie___________________________________________I wanna be a man, man cub...

King LouieJungle V.I.P.
19 posts

Posted:
woah and ooooare both sound affects which UK audiences add to all fireworks displays along with ahhhCousin Louie___________________________________________I wanna be a man, man cub...

robingreenshoesmember
32 posts

Posted:
A couple moreUK / USsherbert = beer : "Are you having another sherbert?"Nelson Mandela(or just Nelson) = Stella(A brand of beer) : "Give us a Nelson mate"Butchers (from Butchers Hook) = Look : "give us a buthers at that"Bristols (from Bristol Cities) = titties : "Look at the Bristols on her"Bottle (from Bottle and Glass) = Arse : Boat Race/ Horse Race = face : "nice bottle, shame about the boat race"Wrong ride of the road = Right side of the road

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I was watchin' a re-run of The Simpsons today and it reminded me of this post. It was the episode where Bart gets extridicted to Austrailia to receive a public "booting" and consequently infests the island with bull frogs.Marge:"Oh, we have those in America. We call them bullfrogs."Aussie local:"Bullfrog?! Tha's a funny name! I'd a called um Chazwazzers."------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 05 February 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
Speaking of translations.What is the speed limits where you are?Here in NY our limit is 65 miles per hour. (105KPH)------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

robingreenshoesmember
32 posts

Posted:
30mph in build up areas,70mph national speed limit,Other if stated as other but no higher that 70mph

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Sickpuppy - I remember that episde. We actually introduced the cane toad to Queensland, Aust in an attempt to control the cane beetle. That mistake has since been regretted! The toad has spread to Darwin and there is a 50km barrier between where they have spread to and the Darling river. If they reaach that river they will be in South Australia (and near Adelaide) within a couple years. Big pest - check a map of Australia and you will see that is more than 2000 miles. Oh and it didn't control the beetle blushOur state speed limit is 100kmh, but you can do 110kmh where posted (work that one out!). We have other limits including:25kmh school zones, roadworks40kmh some quiet suburbs60kmh most built-up areas80kmh many main roads100kmh some suburban highways

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Galawenmember
45 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd add that I believe that(US) Hey you!!!= (UK) Oiii!!!Had an English teacher once shout that and we all though she hurt herself. smile

Give Me FuelGive Me FireGive Me That Which I Desire-MetallicA

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
yabby is australian for freshwater crayfishyobbo is australian for an obnoxious guy. (ps...this is funny...https://www.satirewire.com/news/jan02/australia.shtml )any yes i know who Ian Thorpe is, and what Tim Tams are...mmmmmm timtams....and when australia day is smile

Page: