Forums > Social Chat > #5-(last one for today!) Fire Retardants

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately, more often than not lately when I come across a fabric I wish to make a costume from it is not cotton, or it is a cotton blend. I am tired of having to find the perfect cotton to go underneath my cloth. As a result I have been looking into fire retardents for my costumes.I have found references, info sheets and such on three different brands, one is highly recommended and used by many drapery/apholstry places.They are:Flameguard 80 (the highest recommended one)Pyroguard SRFBioFax 2000Does anyone have information where I can purchase some of this stuff? I searched and searched and found only references (except for BioFax, which took me to a biology site rolleyes ). I know one group in Aus uses it, but I am uncertain even where to look to order some there, or if it can be shipped into the US, which is important. I have a friend who works at a textile shoppe checking into it for me but he is weilding very little in the way of results and fire marshall's think I am crazy. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ooops, thought it said fire retareded ;P

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
This sounds like a "Technical Discussion." grin------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I think I posted this deep in another thread, but there is a do-it-yourself alternative. I learnt how to make homemade fire retardent from Constance Atwater:"It is a simple matter to flameproof both costume and hair, and many teachers insist on this protection. An easy-to-prepare solution is made by dissolving nine ounces of borax and four ounces of boric acid in one gallon of hot water. Fill a sprayer with this mixture and spray both sides of the uniform fabric and also your hair. This is a recognized preparation., it will not stain, and it has no harmful effects on the hair or fabric. The spray treatment should be repeated prior to each performance."Maximus

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I remember that Maximus but then with further research we found that boric acid is toxic to wear and burn, and that borax is flammable. Many of us said we wouldn't use it. Wasn't it in the starch for a fire retardant thread?Anyway, PWB, you are so going to get a lashing! wink It's not technical. I am not asking how to's or anything technically based. Just if anyone heard of it.We had a Fire Marshall who was flipping out because I was wearing cloth (cotton). I wanted to get some of this as well because I think it would help sate the Fire Monsters. winkFrom the sounds of it, no one has heard of these things. *sigh*------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
try searching/calling a theatrical supply company. they sould have something available.

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
We get our flame retardant spray from the local safety and supply store..Do you have one of those there??

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Sorry about the repeat posting. I missed the subsequent discussion. I, too, am worried about the boric acid in the recipe, and I have never actually tried it. I thought it was an interesting footnote by someone who was teaching fire baton twirling in the sixties--before most of the people here were ever born.Maximus