Forums > Social Chat > #3-Pros/Performers-What won't you do?

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
What type of performance will you not do?Personally, I want to keep as far away from Timmy's 5th birthday party, and the like, as I can.And strip clubs, simply because I don't feel I have the body/looks to pull it off. Not really moral highground, just self-conciousness.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Does lighting farts count? grin

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
LOL at N8 grin grin[This message has been edited by Ros (edited 28 January 2002).]

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't ever do a rave... not too enthused about the night club scene these days either. The audiences can be sort of hostile and unappreciative. The alcohol factor is a negative, in my opinion. Brings out everyone's inner idiot! Fire + idiots = DANGER!When we first started doing our thing, we performed at several night clubs in town. And while these gigs paid pretty well, the audiences didn't really dig what we were doing so much. They wanted to dance on the dance floor, not move out of the way for fire! I can understand that...So unless it was a special event in a club, we'd decline that one.We've had more success performing at festivals and such... much more friendly, appreciative audiences. Street performances are great too, during art walks or whatever. The average passer-by is usually pretty intrigued to stumble across a depiction of a Teutonic myth portrayed with flaming swords and a propane flaming sun overhead... smile~*Charly*~www.cabiri.org

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Childrens parties. wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'm not a pro but I wouldn't perform at a club unless I was asked to by the management... Partly because I can see alot of people getting p!ssed off with me and also it can at times seem a bit "showy-offy".Obviously it depends on the club. If others are spinning I'll join them. (Unless they're loads better than me : smile )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
A kid who was buying some equipment from me told me that he could get me work performing at events sponsored by some cigarette company. The money would have been good--really good. I declined.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Nice Adam!It leads me to wonder, is there a breaking price on the things you won't do? That time when someone says I will offer you this really outrageous amount to work for me?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
Ive done some freebie shows in the past and im so sad to say i wont do them again (unless special circumstances )i had a gig to spin at a fetish show here and tehy were totally hyped to have me. my charge ive been told by other spinneds is super low i only charge 50%/hr . four dayd before the show they informed me that they were not going to pay me as the function had turned into ""a charity of sorts" yet the stilt walking whip man got payed 200$ just to show up.. i told them not a chance.i find people take you forgranted if they know you'll let them. i do peace rally's etc for free though just cause i like to spin.its a fine line between the two but if all the proceeds were going to the charity no problem.. but they were keeping 3/4 of the money for themselves so they couldnt tell me they were not going to make a bit of dough out of my being there..

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
That bytes Sorcha. Its happened to me a few times too. You should get an agent.

^_-

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I would do a kids birthday if I was getting paid the same rate as twirling as for the hours of questions from little people afterwards. And if there was a getaway vehicle idling out front.Obviously I wouldn't do anything unsafe. Clubs aren't automatically unsafe because of people and alcohol. I'm not too snobby to say fire only either. Event organisers are all about negotiation. Lay down the law and "here's the deal" When you talk safety, be uncompromising. These people are flexible if you push hard enough. Steel is flexible eventually.Nude fire stunts might be too far as well.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I'm with you, Sorcha--you can't let people take you for granted. I won't work free unless it's for something I really want to do anyhow, and perhaps more importantly, I won't work cheap: if I'm working free, then at least there's not a price set on it, and I can view it as a gift. It would be much more insulting to do a gig for, say, $20--as if that's all I'm worth.Pele--to answer your question: if a distasteful client offered me a really absurd amount of money, I'd probably take it. The work I was turning down was $600/night, which is pretty damn good. If it had been $6000/night, I probably would have taken it. Then again, if the client or the terms were sufficiently awful, I just wouldn't do it for any amount--I mean, I wouldn't perform at a Klan rally for any amount (of course, I'd more likely be the main course at one, not the entertainment).

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Ignis Devocomember
67 posts

Posted:
We will normally consider most performance environments given that we are getting paid and getting paid well...We do not generally like to do raves..But have had great success at some nightclubs (always had adequate watch and utilized the bouncers so we never had a problem with the crowds). We so a lot of shows where we perform during the intermission of bands and then a lot of shows where we are the focus. We love festivals and street performance as well. We have never had an audience who wasn't completly blown away by what we did...The only functions we consider no payment for are established charities and benefit events. For example we are doing a Take Back the Night rally in the spring and though we offered our services for free they are paying us (full price) anyway.We also just did a show for one of my best friends son's 13th birthday party that started off with a stern talk about the dangers of fire.... We did this for free becasue we all love my friend and her son.We definitly have our favorites performance venues and those that we just get through the performance because they paid us well.. So for us it depends on a number of factors involved....We have even considered sponsorship by companies..but again it would depend on a number of factors.DoniaIgnis Devoco Industrial Fire Circuswww.ignisdevoco.com"Where there is sorrow, I seek the flame."Rumi

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I should answer my own questions....Parties for friends I do free out of love for them, for what I do and for fun. I am looking at setting up a thing to do at school's for fire safety week with the area(s) fire marshall since I am sick and tired of people teaching children fear instead of respect. I do usually about 2 or 3 charity events per year, most recently was an event for Hospice, and I kind-of got paid in gifts anyway.I'm with you Adam. I wouldn't do any form of anti-racial, religion type rally. I don't think I could do the cigarette thing either, since I am a role model to my son and I can't justify promoting something I don't want him to choose to do, no matter what the paycheck.Private parties (corporate), festivals, clubs are all good here. I refuse to be paid minimal amounts, and people are well aware of it. You get what you pay for and people are willing to pay for me, that makes me feel good, and allows me to reasonably raise my base rate smile.Still, I don't want to do the phone book clown gigs (no offence to those who do). There just is too much liability for my comfort. I don't think anyone could pay me enough for anything nude either.Luckily though, I do more than fire, and my acting is starting to really catch on as much as my fire so it is getting easier for me to pick and choose. I was just wondering if others set guidelines such as this, since I just did with my agent. ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele