Forums > Social Chat > Minor rant, not aimed at anyone in particular

Login/Join to Participate

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
This has probably been said before, if so, I apologise.

As some people here know, I like big flames on fire-toys. Big wicks etc, yeah, standard jokes. Not for the first time, last night, I notice people borrowing my wicks (which I don't mind particularly, though it does niggle that they don't always ask first...), but more to the point, not quenching them in the paraffin when they've finished and they're there smoking away.

If they're smoking, then they're being damaged, so the quicker you put it out, the longer the wicks will last. Shouldn't you be treating other people's toys better than you would treat your own? mad

This has happened a couple of times noticeably recently. frown

If I've inadvertently done this to anyone else's wicks, then I'm really really sorry. I do try to quench them.

Sorry for ranting, but I just needed to get that out of my system. smile

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Do you know if the people who "borrow" them (and there's a better word for taking without asking) are experienced with flame? It's kind of hard to believe that guys who spin fire themselves don't know to do this, either that or they're bloody rude.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
A) Not quenching wicks after spinning has no effect on the wick life. Smoking is not an indication of further wick damage. It is an unproven urban legend spread by weak minded, unscientific firespinners who preach without evidence. tongue

B) Quenching wicks after spinning is annoying because then they have fuel on them when you're trying to take them home.

C) Nobody borrows my wicks without asking.

D) If they're a FIRE SPINNER they should have their own stuff. I hate it when you've got people who show up without fuel or wicks out of pure lazyness... if they're coming from work or didn't know they'd be there when they left the house that's one thing. Fortunately it doesn't happen much here.

E) Learn how to say "No". smile

Peace out! ubblove

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i tend to agree with A)
and B) for that matter
also on C)
and again i'll have to agree with D) and E) biggrin

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I absolutely agree with NYC as well. I don't care for smoking wicks, so I smother mine with a damp towel. What I really hate is fuel fumes from people dunking hot wicks. mad

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

A) Not quenching wicks after spinning has no effect on the wick life. Smoking is not an indication of further wick damage. It is an unproven urban legend spread by weak minded, unscientific firespinners who preach without evidence. tongue

The question of whether not dunking wicks after a burn leads to damage was discussed here (a 3 page thread): -

[Old link]

Prior to this thread I believed that it did; after it I was unsure, but have continued to dunk them because it does no harm.

There was talk of doing some experiments to establish the truth scientifically; I'm not aware of anyone having done those experiments and reporting them here.

So, it is true that the effectiveness of dunking hasn't been scientifically established, but it's equally unscientific to claim that dunking is ineffective (unless the experiments have been done and posted, in which case I would be very interested if a link could be posted to them).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
NYC I agree with A,B,C, and E

D on the other hand. First off I find that with fire spinners they're curious about your gear. And around here every one either makes there own gear of they buy it from one of three sources. and one of those sources is me, so I guess I'm used to the test drive.

one the fuel for f*cks sakes man kero is cheep! and we all share like the happy litte hippys we are.

now on wicks this i how it works (scientifically)

a) you can not dunk your wicks and have a very small amount smolder away each time. or

b) you can dunk them every time and have them sit in a heavly liqued which will eventually cause them to break down.

truth: your wicks will not last forever

the only proven way to increase wick life is to glue all the ends/edges down with white or yellow glue
EDITED_BY: Kaji-kun (1070751048)

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i disagree with A(tho it's not THAT effective imo anyway)

agree with B

would like to agree with C. but then i'm not nearly as bloodyminded and NewYorkian as you wink(sometimes people just pick them up, then what can you do if you're off playing or sth else wink)

D. nononononononono. people like to try others equipment. what goes around comes around. sometimes you just can't take your toys. sometimes you haven't got any toys(short term travelling or similar...)

E. would that we could.....

but in general its pretty obvious who knows their stuff and who doesn't. and Matthew you just gotta keep a closer eye on your toys if it bugs you that much. cause we can't do to much about it from here.. hug

R frown smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Matthew B-MLemon-Aware Devilstick-wielding Operative
605 posts

Posted:
wrt NYC's A: NYC: I thought you were a chemist tongue smile I have to say I agree with bluecat on this.
B: Yes, but I always have a plastic bag that they're in, and once home I can deal with it. Transporting really hot wicks is actually much more of a pain, in my limited experience
C: Most of the time this is the case, sometimes people do, though. Some of those people are obviously good fire-spinners, some of those leave the wicks smouldering on the ground. And people don't always know who to ask. (No, I don't think this is a good reason either, but...)
D: I've been without fire before (though it's rare that I'm without any toys, but it does (occasionally) happen). Normally I plan if I know I'm going to be spinning with fire. And, partly, I'm always interested to try other people's wicks, and they seem to often be interested in mine. As Kaji-kun said, what goes around comes around. I don't always have spare paraffin, and don't always have the time to go and buy it. I also know that I've left bottles of paraffin on my kitchen table when I've gone out to Clapham, and not realised until I got to Clapham that I didn't actually have paraffin.
E: I wish smile

Thanks for the responses, though. I did wonder if anyone else had really experienced this, but I think E is basically the most important point, isn't it....

Luv 'n' Lemons
purity :: clarity :: balance

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I guess I am a weak minded, unscientific firespinner ubbloco but I do have evidence
as a manufacturer of fire tools oh and by the way I have several thousand wicks under my belt. I have found people who use kero or paraffin and DO NOT dunk their wicks will experience premature wick failure.Kero and parifaffin burns at such a lower temp it still burns when their are no flames hence the smoke what that does is burn out the non kevlar blends in your wick leaving you with that nasty white piece of burnt kevlar or glass. again leaving you with less material to absorb fuel.causing shorter burn times and smaller flames

I think were the confusion comes in is with people who use colemans or white gas
it wont burn at such a low temp so when the flames go out it doesnt burn the non kevlar blends of the wicking . so they dont need to be dunked.I have wicks that have only seen white gas and have never been dunked in thier life that look better than dunked kero wick half their age.

what is scary though is when the kero people spin with us(we all use colemans).
and they come over and try to dunk thier wicks.so far we have had no one blow them selves up yet.

I think what does the most damage to any wick with any fuel is spinning them until the flame goes out all you are doing is forcing air onto a hot surface. blow on a coal
and watch what happens you will see it gets hotter with more O2 being forced on it.
if your looking to get the max out of your wicks smoother them out when they burn down.then dunk them if your using kero or paraffinn

as for just picking up someones fire tool and using it that is just flat out rude

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
at this point Id just like to say a big "THANK YOU" to all the peaple who have lent me thier fire poi over the last 2.5 years, youll be glad to know i now have some of my own!

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol@tom

hug hug hug hug hugyou're welcome. hug hug hug hug hug

just on reflection i am going to change my opinion on A to absolutely wrong. it definitely makes a difference. just needed to think back to the millions of wicks we burn with tepooka....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)