Forums > Social Chat > first time ever here...help!!

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey everyone...be nice...this is my first time posting and using the glowsticks and what not....im not too familiar with the lingo so fill me in....what is this Poi....im must sound retarded but o well....ive been doing this string thing for like a week and need somehelp desperatly ....i musta hit myself ohh 129038109283109283109823 milllion times...lol...but its all good....can anyone tell me where to get anymore of those things cause yea someone swiped mine =( i dont know much about this stuff...all i know is that im gonna master it one day lol...gtg help meout someone!!!-diana

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
Hey Diana.Well you're in luck i've just started as well, how this makes you lucky is beyond me, but there you go. I can relate to smacking myself a number of times especially in the nether regions. Poi (to the best of my knowlege in what i'm playing with- correct me if i'm wrong) are wieghts at the end of a chain/cable that can be set alight-fire poi, or non fire pois tennis balls, etc. You can swing em and preform a number of neat tricks etc... The best place to see what they are, is on this page under poi lessons.So what are glow sticks by the way?And getting hold of this kind of thing is pretty easy, check out any juggling shop or go to the on-line shop on this page. Welcome and take care.

smittymember
104 posts

Posted:
at least u knew the name of "poi" i first new it as "fire on end of chain" hehehhe, thats what i called it anyway

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I am going to take it you mean glow sticks on string, if so they have the same concept as poi. We use glow sticks in clubs n stuff as they look great. My advise would be to buy some poi from our dear friend Malcolm (shop) and then check out the poi lessons on this site. where are you based cause my next piece of advise is to go to meet people, find someone in your area and hook up with them , thats the best way to learn, don't worry we are all very friendly! ha hahope it goes well.peace outgarbo tongue[This message has been edited by garbo (edited 05 February 2001).]

be excellent to each other: safe:

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
hey Garbo, this is going to soind daft, when you say glow sticks on string do you litterally mean a glow stick tied to a piece of string? And when you say use in clubs, you take em and fool around with them in clubs, sounds awsome.By the way, what are beaming pois? Was browsing thro' the shop and noticed them.Take it easy.Oats.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
...glowsticks at the end of the strings baby yeah grin - they look great Oats just attach a couple of glowsticks at the end of the strings, find a dark room and start swinging - the effect looks so good!!! Beaming poi is a good alternative to glowsticks, basically they are impact resistant plastic balls with 4 LEDs that are obviously powered by an internal battery - they glow a lot and look good (have a look at the videos); they are however heavy and can cause serious damage if you smack yourself in the face - so i wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't confident about his/her swinging skills yet...that's what i think at least!happy swinging,Simos

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
but what is even more mind-boggeling are dark sticks... oh oh yes, use them during the day...------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
yeah, darksticks are basically alternating polarity particles contained within an anti-static chamber that is sufficient to create so much electromagnetic interference so that any such wave would be trapped, creating an area of darkness which surrounds the stick.-Hapes-Nova, glowsticker[This message has been edited by Hapes-Nova (edited 05 February 2001).]

Oatsmember
28 posts

Posted:
You guys are'nt serious about the dark sticks are you? ( he says in a very confused and rather doubting manner)

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Re: darksticks. I too, am a gullible ignoramus, please calrify authenticity of product. I first read this post yesterday and I actually had a dream about darksticks last night! (impressionable or what?!) They were like my short staves, but thinner and needed to be cracked before they'd work. They had an evil, vampiric presence about them though...kind of conjured feelings like those I had when reading about "Travelling The Ways" in Jordan's Wheel of Time series...where's an Aes Sedai when you need one, eh?flash

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
NOOOOOOOO! NOT THE ROBERT JORDAN EVIL!!funny how you get stuck into reading the evil even though it really sucks smilei think you owe toh to us for mentioning it smilepere

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I am currently removing grains of sand from a hole, one by one.join me in the sweat tent?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
I'll have to consult with my sister Maidens of the Poi on that one smilePeregrine