Forums > Social Chat > What's been your best improv spin?

Login/Join to Participate

Hitokage
Total posts: 70
Posted:So, what's the most interesting thing you've used as a staff or as poi when you didn't have your normal toys with you (or you did, you just wanted to try something new)?Or, if you'd rather, what would you most like to use as poi or a staff (besides poi or staff, of course)?*Specify if it's something you've used or if it's something you'd like to use.------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

Delete Topic

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)
veteran
Total posts: 1325
Posted:I've used a stick I found in the canyon on my way home as a staff. It's about 2 feet long and maybe 5 mm in diameter and weighs less than a tenth of a pound... so uhh yea

Delete

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin King
Total posts: 141
Posted:I was doing some staff twirling over New Years and the dog got in my way so I cartwheeled over her!

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Delete

Mushinkato
Total posts: 164
Posted:In the oh'so boring office where I work we have these little key fob thingies that you swipe over a pad.. and as if by magic, the door opens.. you get the picture..Well, these electronic key thingies are on a loop of thin ball chain about 18 inches long.. need I say more..? (apart from the fact they WHIP like hell if you get it wrong!!)Thats something I do all the time, but THIS is something I definately want to try..ZERO GRAVITY POI !!!Yup.. take a flight in the vomit-comet doing its parabolic descents with my feet secured to the deck.. and when the plane goes doooooooowwwwnnnnn.. start spinning a pair of small water balloons (in thin white socks) and see how the laws of physics behave.. ...just for the sheer hell of it.. hmmm.... yeah..
Non-Https Image Link
------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 23 January 2002).]

Kato

Delete

Chakan
Total posts: 68
Posted:I work for DNA-IT so they gave us this key ring that is an elastic dna strand about 3 inches long... heavy keys on the end = poi elastic = chains and got some good finger and wrists wraps going with that

Delete

sunbeam
sunbeam

old hand
Total posts: 1032
Posted:Magic staff that can split and change into double staves, poi or flags whenever I want it too. Kind of like a twirling lightsabre but better. That's my fantasy toy - I haven't actually made it yet but I'll keep you posted...------------------Life in the circus ain't easy but the folks on the outside don't know yeah well the tent goes up and the tent goes down and all that they see is the show and the ladies on the horses look so pretty and the lions are looking real mad and some of the clowns are happy and some of the clowns are sad. Welcome to the freakshow.. here we go (Freakshow by Ani di Franco)

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

Delete

Superman
Superman

Total posts: 829
Posted:i was drug into shopping with my wife one Sunday. We were in the clothing store Old Navy. They had these chew toys for dogs that were made of rope. On one end they had a loop, and the other end they had a ball a little bigger than a baseball. They were about 3 feet long. So i followed her around the store spinning these dog toys. They were actually pretty cool. Thats when i learned "Thread the needle" and "reverse thread the needle"Again looking to entertain myself while i was drug into Walmart, i went looking for some chewtoys, but instead i found chain dog leashes work pretty well. They have a good weight, just dont hit yourself..needless to say, when i go out with my wife, i am not allowed to go onto the dog toy aisle anymore."S"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Delete

klubkidnyc
Total posts: 25
Posted:i was visiting grandma one weekend and needless to say got really bored so my little cousins had these rubber fish about 7 inches long i figure, i put a bolt with a ring on it and screwed it in the top of the fish-- i think the were tuna--haha,anyway some black yarn and keyrings and i was spinning those fuckers all weekend-- since i attached them at the top it looked like they were flying-- my brothers thought i was nuts well they're probably right---- well i loved my flying tuna poi---ok ok let me stop!!

Delete

Carrey
Total posts: 180
Posted:I was at a party a little while back and there was a great request for Poi, but no poi...Anyway, the seed had been planted (we all know how that goes,) so I made some out of empty beer cans and shoelaces. 2 things about this:1. The beer cans were not as empty as my drunken brain thought originally and a lot of it was sprayed all over party revellers and the ceiling of the kitchenAND2. Beer cans have sharp edges when crushed, ouch...I do not recommend this...
Non-Https Image Link
Funny but...CPS: Thanks Kato, Id forgotten about that

Delete

Pele'sWhippingBoy
Total posts: 442
Posted:quote:Orignially posted by Supermanneedless to say, when i go out with my wife, i am not allowed to go onto the dog toy aisle anymore.
Non-Https Image Link
LOL. That's awesome!I'm like that in the toy isle. Picking up the large bouncy balls or running from toy to toy. Ooh, look at this car. Ooh, Legos!To keep on topic I used to spin my keys a lot. But we saw a little kid use his sandles at my family reunion last year.------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph.com - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Delete

Mushinkato
Posted:Uuummm... no worries Carrey my dear.. (were you refering to the thin ball chain..?)Yo Soops.. Santa brought me a pair of doggie toys for x-mas !! They are just a length of rope with tennis balls on the ends; covered in little black paw prints (very cute ready-made poi's !!) THEYRE PERFECT !! I think Im gonna have to find out where they came from and buy the entire stock, decorate them, mark them up.. and sell them on !! I'LL BE RICH !!
Non-Https Image Link
Mmmmwwwooooohahahahah !!------------------Kato

Kato

Delete

redragonx
Total posts: 73
Posted:foot long glow necklaces are flexible enough that you can spin with them, and it looks like your spinning flags too. pretty cool.

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

Delete

PHL9te
Total posts: 57
Posted:The times I don't have my poi to hand are few and far between... hehe, but I have used dead glowsticks swung from elastic bands, which was fun. They start off small, then when you spin faster they stretch! Hmmm... could be a new toy...? It was a sad day in one of my recent three hour exams when I had to make do with treasury tags (those lil inch long bits of string with bits of metal on the end). Yeah, that didn't really take off. Hooray for proper poi/staff, eh?Spin on... T-------------------"I think it's time to discuss your philosophy on drug use as it relates to artistic endeavour..."-

It was like Hell's kitchen on the day that all seven deadly sins came to dinner and the Devil was trying to do a complex Taiwanese banquet that he'd never attempted before...

Delete

Charles
Charles

Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
Total posts: 3989
Posted:Ok, stupidest thing I ever used was a 2 metre log as a staff! About 2 inches wide at one end and 6 inches wide at the other.Yeah it really was stupid, but I was bored...I've also used those cool stainless steel key rings with the chain and spring inside (the ones all the security guards use) as a single poi. The faster you spin them, the longer the chain gets.Just don't hit yourself with it, theres not much padding on a piece of stainless steel.
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttp://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Delete

Mushinkato
Posted:Ooooh oooh oooh... I just had to stop myself going off on a complete tangent with this idea on another thread.. more relevant here me thinks..BRAs... yes, brasiers HAVE to be of some use I think. Would they be strong enough..?? C'mon girls ( and you PK
Non-Https Image Link
) help me out on this one. There's a pretty wide choice of sizes, colours and styles to choose from and you could put just about anything in them.(sorry gotta throw this in.. Im sitting at my desk at work and I kid you not.. I've just been handed a letter from a guy called Philip McCracken.. Phil McCracken.. get it.. sorry
Non-Https Image Link
)Anyway, back to the over-shoulder-boulder-holders.. I think I may have stumbled across yet another wonderful marketing idea.. so, my idea, I am gonna patent it and I'M gonna be RICH !!! so there !!! MMMMWWWOOOOAAARRRHHARHARHARHAR !!!
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 26 January 2002).]

Kato

Delete

NYC
NYC

NYC
Total posts: 9232
Posted:During a 5 hour delay at the airport I took off my shoelaces and spun just them. I didn't want to attatch anything as I did't want it to look anything like a weapon. I just sat and practiced stuff that I knew that I sucked at. About an hour into it a guy pulls his son aside and points to me and whispered "I think that guy's crazy!" It sort of offended me so I figured that it'd be more fun to freak them out. I didn't say anything until a few hours later when I just walked by them, stoped, and coldly said "I'm not crazy", glared and walked away. Needless to say they were both wide eyed. It was really hard not to laugh.
Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Delete

catboy
Total posts: 167
Posted:i really want to make some small poi (possibly out of hackisac's) to spin at my desk... i could do turns and all sorts of things with the wheels on the bottom, but am not sure if i am up to the beheind the chair weave yet...
Non-Https Image Link

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

Delete

Whiffle Squeek
Whiffle Squeek

addict
Total posts: 416
Posted:hehe, thats awesome NYChmmmm, ive done it with shoes before, held by the laces, freaked the hell out of people walking by me in the hallway...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete

Bendy
Total posts: 750
Posted:NYC - classic!I wanted to do a demo for a friend, so I used a totem tennis ball and a beanie baby attached via noose to a shoelace. I have also used my camera before I realised what I was doing.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Delete

Whiffle Squeek
Whiffle Squeek

addict
Total posts: 416
Posted:mmm, stop watches in physics class, before my teacher started yelling at me...ooo, and just today at our pool, we got inverse resistance weights, the kind that float and you have to keep em under, and the longer sets of dumbells make perfect short staffs, i had fun with those, till the rest of the lifeguards started giving me weird looks...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete

Hitokage
Total posts: 70
Posted:That's your problem Kyle (Whiffle)--You stop sometimes when people look at you funny. Oh, wait...so do I sometimes. Errr...nevermind. Oh...and I remember when we both used the shoes. That was great! I'd suggest to other people to use shoes for poi if you are poi-less (of course now I just always carry a set around with me in my pockets
Non-Https Image Link
).

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

Delete

DJ Dantana
veteran
Total posts: 1495
Posted:I was at the bar one time and the bartender was a hot chick who wanted to see some poi twirling, so went looking around and found a couple of elastic tie-down straps (the ones with plastic hooks on both ends) they worked realy well. And they would get a little longer when I sped up, and wraping was cool because they would stall and you could tighten them up halfway through the wrap and get a good flick off or them. I've also used belts, with belt buckles on the end, yea, kind of crazy and dangerouse, but when you gotta poi, you gotta poi...("hey man, can I borrow your belt for a little while?")

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Delete

Mushinkato
Posted:Ive just thought.. if you were unlucky/stupid enough to get sent to prison or get stranded on a desert island; or get captured by a tribe of Russ Meyer Amazons.. what would any poi-mad freak do to ease the time away..??...OK, perhaps not the Amazons bit.. they'd probably have your ba.. poi's off in no time !! ------------------Kato

Kato

Delete

Ronopotamus
Ronopotamus

addict
Total posts: 412
Posted:Do you remember those rubbery, sticky balls you used to be able to buy (maybe you still can), you could throw them against the wall an they'd splat and stick to it, then when you took them off they went back to their original shape.Well my sister had a dick (balls attached) made from the same material. so one day out of curiosity I grabbed hold of the end and swung it...and it streched and worked quite well...what a shame I only had one...Alright I'll stop now
Non-Https Image Link
Rnan

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

Delete

Mushinkato
Posted:Oh fer cryin out loud...!!! I thought Id seen some way out stuff on this site until I read the first line of that one Kolong.. [image]http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">[/image]Kolong.. If I see you in the street Im gonna give you a pair of ear defenders... ...so I dont DEAFEN you with a demonstration of how loud you made me laugh in the office just now..!!!
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
Im sorry, but its the matter-of-fact way you said it... !! (and the way you casually admitted to picking up a sticky rubbr dick to swing around !!)As for the sticky things, I used to have one of those little frogs made out of that stuff. Chuck it at the wall and it would kinda flippity-flop-shplekkerty-flephhherty-phlump plop its way down. Two of those to swing could be fun.. (but no good for doing wraps)------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 30 January 2002).]

Kato

Delete

Ronopotamus
Ronopotamus

addict
Total posts: 412
Posted:
Non-Https Image Link
I guess curiosity really did get the better of me.

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

Delete

Mushinkato
Posted:Oh yeah...
Non-Https Image Link
------------------Kato

Kato

Delete