Forums > Social Chat > ??? For aspiring pro/performers

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
If you could interview a high end fire performer asking him/her questions, not about themselves but about the fire business itself, what would you ask?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
Why, are you preparing your answers already? wink------------------Life in the circus ain't easy but the folks on the outside don't know yeah well the tent goes up and the tent goes down and all that they see is the show and the ladies on the horses look so pretty and the lions are looking real mad and some of the clowns are happy and some of the clowns are sad. Welcome to the freakshow.. here we go (Freakshow by Ani di Franco)[This message has been edited by sunbeam (edited 23 January 2002).]

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Sunbeam, you make me laugh. I hardly qualify as a high end fire performer, nor do I know *all* the answers! Much of what I apply to fire has come from years of performing as an actress actually. Obviously some things are very different though, and that is what I was thinking about last night. I have been struggling with an agent thing recently, and while it is a good thing, that mess seems to be getting more confusing. I was just curious as to what others would ask. That's all.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
hmm, what do you mean by "high-end"? from what i've observed, you seem to be one of the higher-end performers around here... (HoP)or am i just delusional?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
*blush* You guys are great for a person's ego, you know that? smileAnyway...for instance...I completely admire staff spinner Karl Sanft of Cirque Du Soliel. There are also poi spinners and such in Cirque, and are showing up in other circus' and specialtly shows globally. That is what I concider high end and I aspire to present those type of shows myself someday.Yes I perform. Sure, I am professional but I find my spinning to be only mediocre, and there are people out there I admire and respect completely for not only their acheivements but for their presentation and style as well. I would love to talk with them and pick thier brains so I am assuming everyone else has that as well. Maybe I am mistaken. How about this....A fire *performer* you admire, in a position you might want to find yourself in one day. What do you ask him/her?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
What kind of fuel do you use?How did you make cold fire?Does food taste bad now that your mouth is full of calouses from fire eating?After drinking that liquid, do you burp little puffs of flame like in cartoons?How many calories does fire have?Where does one get their own whipping boy?------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you[This message has been edited by Pele'sWhippingBoy (edited 23 January 2002).]

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
id ask..can i join you guys?if notteach me everything you know and ill do it myself.how do you become "high end performer"so that maybe i can be a high end performer.etc etc.

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
About the business itself huh?What kind of market is it? Are you fighting for jobs or are you alone in your area?How receptive are people?Where can you perform? Can you attend winter festivals or are you limited to birthday parties?Can you work with other types of performers? Bands? Bird rehabilitation centers? (inside joke.)How do you get gigs?How do people find you? Ads around town? Commercials on TV? Newspaper/yellow pages? Website?What do you do for music? Do you hire a DJ or do you setup a boombox?What kinds of permits are needed to perform fire in a given location? Do you have to notify somebody like a Fire Marshall?What costs are involved?Do you buy your costume or create it yourself?Do you buy your tools premade or make them?Do you buy your own fuel?What kinds of insurances are needed?Do you have performing insurance?Do you have medical insurance?Where does one find a whipping boy?------------------FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB."Those who can, do. Those who can't, critique"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you[This message has been edited by Pele'sWhippingBoy (edited 23 January 2002).]

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
what are you, some kind of uber-raver?did you learn that on the internet? wink

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Interesting question Pele.What sort of arena are they performing in? That would determine what I'd want to ask.e.g., a fire performer with a sideshow, I'd want to know:How did you get started in the business? Did you have a mentor or train under someone?Do you yourself have students, or how do you transfer the egregore of the sideshow to new performers.Would a fire act work better if performed by a talker out the front to draw in the crowd, part of the act, or as a blow off?Given that the sideshow, in its historical form, is dead, how does a fire performer 'sell' his art to a sceptical audience?For a self employed fire performer in a modern troupe, I'd want to know:What do you hope to acheive through your involvement in this art form?What is your philosophical focus within the group towards fire and performing for an audience.How did you learn your art?How many people in your support crew or network, and what are some of their roles.Do you have a core troupe of performers that meet regularly, or are you a loosely knit collective of performers who constructa show depending on the requirements? (e.g., a pool of people you draw on with different skills).For a solo performer, I 'd want to know:How did you get started in the business?How much time do you devote to chasing work and promoting yourself?42Adrianne

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
PWB..those are more things that promoters ask, or should ask performers for the most part. Some of them work well, although, PWB you know darn well those are all ones I can answer! That whole learning by experience thing! *shrug*Ade actually hit the nail on the head. That is specifically what I was looking for. And thank you...I *never* concidered the division line between the presentations. I do admit sometimes I get caught in my world which means that I think most fire performers look at things similarly (not the same) as me.Very nice,keep them coming and thank you much!!!!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I would ask..."Whats the most impressive thing you can do, that is relatively easy to learn""What do you find most frustrating about the requirements of your job?""Have you ever been told to do something you felt was unsafe or innappropriate but you were forced to do it anyway?""What does your partner think of your job and the restrictions it places on your relationship?""Do you truly enjoy your current role as much as before you became a full-time professional?"(just call me Sigmuend!)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
I think if I happened to bump in to a professional performer, say from the likes of Circ De Sol etc etc, and they had the time of day to talk too me this time, then I would ask them the following 2 questions: 1) At what point does twirling becomes a job instead of a passion?2) How much do you practice, and how much do you just freestyle for fun?Love and Light------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~[This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 23 January 2002).][This message has been edited by Katinca (edited 23 January 2002).]

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
How long have you been twirling?How old were you when you started?Where/What was your first paid gig?Can you make a living off it, or is it your life?How hard is it to be recognised as a professional with a career, and not just another busker?What is the best thing about being able to twirl for a living? Getting to do the thing you love everyday, or the travel, or meeting new people etc?Hmmm, that's about it but I'm sure if I was faced with someone I would probably think of a lot more lol.

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”