MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I need some help from any other amateur chefs here.

I'm trying to plan a romantic dinner for two for a special someone. I'm a vegetarian, so I'm keeping the meal vegetarian.

Here's my plan so far:

Salad with radiccio, cucumber, tomato, sweet red pepper, and my mom's home-made dressing.

Vegetable risotto
sauteed broccoli

Chocolate brownie infused with amaretto (I'm going to slice it in half horizontally, pour on a tablespoon of liqeur, and put the top back on), carmel sauce and home-made whipped cream.

Ok, what I'm missing in all this is a good source of protein. I don't want to resort to tofu or TVP since I don't like the asthetic of using either with a meditteranean theme. I hate tempeh, even though it might be more suitable. I'm considering adding Tuscan beans to the main course, but that seems to be a bit heavy, given the lightness of the rest of the meal. Perhaps a cold bean salad might be more suitable?

Can anyone make suggestions/provide recipes for something elegant and light that will help to compliment the protein in this meal?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
when do you need the recipe by? i have a huge file of recipes on my home computer (i made a recipe box full of recipes for my sisters one year). there's tons of vegetarian stuff in there. so i'd be happy to send it your way. but like i said, it's on my home computer and i'm at work. so i can send it in a few hours if you can wait till then smile

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
How about this? It sounds slighty mediterranean...

Chickpea-and-Corn Patties
From Cooking Light

2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
Cooking spray

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn, onion, and thyme; sauté 2 minutes. Place onion mixture, chickpeas, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, salt, and red pepper in a food processor. Pulse 2 times or until combined and chunky. Divide chickpea mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty; dredge patties in 1 tablespoon cornmeal. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 5 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; cook 5 minutes or until golden.

Yield: 4 servings

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
pounce, this is for a few weeks from now, not urgent by any means...

-Mike

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
oh good. well in that case, i'll make sure to send my recipes your way. not only that, but i'll also ask my sister who is queen vegetarian ubblol if she has any good recipes biggrin

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
use brown rice (not white) in the risotto, which is a good source of protein. Also serve it with some nice italian bread like sundried tomato focaccia, the main ingrediants of which are water and wheat flour, wheat being a source of protein too. Wheat and rice are admitadly not the best sources of protein in the world, but for the sake of one meal i'd be impressed if you suddenly suffer protein deficiency symptons.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I was about to take a screenshot of your post and report the weird "flid/flid2" thing as a bug to dom, then I dragged my mouse over it and realized you did some trickery with your avatar.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
*nods wisely*

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
both brown rice and whole wheat are good sources of complimentary protein, but it needs to be complimented by something else...like beans. Or maybe some sort of seed? Pine nuts?

-Mike

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i don't beleive anything i read on the internet anymore. Some sites claim brown rice is a complete protein, others say you can compliment it with wheat. Pine nuts would go with risotto.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Add a teaspoon of honey to the brocolli towards the end, during the last half a minute of sauteeing (sp?) You don't need to make it too sweet, a nice glaze is all you need. And then sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, delicious, trust me smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Some toasted pine nuts could be sprinkled on the salad

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Lubiyah, a light bean soup with all the flavour of the Middle East:

1 cup dried black eye beans (canned ones a bit too mushy)
pint veg stock
2 onions, chopped coarsely
3 cloves garlic chopped
can chopped tomato
teaspoon each cumin and turmeric
dash of cinnamon
black pepper
fresh coriander
lemon juice
chopped hot chili or Hot Pepper Sauce

Boil beans until they can be squashed against roof of mouth with tongue (about 45 mins), fry onion until golden, add everything except coriander and lemon juice and simmer for 35 mins, add lemon and coriander just before serving. Depending on whether you want it to be a soup or more of a loose stew add more water during cooking.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, I have some vegitarian recipies, but I don't think any of them would go particularly well with what you already have planned.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Arakrysmember
34 posts

Posted:
I was thinking of a slice of bread, toasted, with feta on it. Can you get proper feta ? It still would need some finishing touch, like fresh basil. Or maybe a touch of basil-based pesto.
Yummie!

Here in one hour we will get some Mexican inspired meal, the appetizer will be made from tortilla-chips covered with cheese, shortly in the oven, served with avocado dip. smile)

Any grains combined with any pea or bean are supposed to be complementary.

I might do something with chickpea flower, which is a wonderful base for veggy stuff but that's more Indian i suppose.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
how about mushroom and fetta crepes?

simply fry up some mushrooms, shallots, and garlic. after a 5 minutes, crumble in some fetta - add various herbs [whatever you wish] and youll have the most fantastic flavour. after another 5 minutes, wrap in up in some crepes. it tastes divine.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Dentrassi, thanks for the idea. I hate mushrooms, but I could replace them with some sauteed sweet peppers, instead.

As for your little tag "I am a meat popsicle." That's my FAVORITE line from T5E!!! In fact, on my AOL homepage, that's my introline.

"My name is Mike and I am a meat popsicle." beerchug

-Mike

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
is 'sauteed' your current favourite cookery word?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Saute. I love to saute. It's a great technique.

-Mike

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
is it simular to drizzling?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
No, drizzling is more like sprinkling.

sauteeing is more like stir-frying, but with oil and not in a wok.

"Fricasee" is one of my favorite words ever, though.

Although it doesn't compare to "Loofah."

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
really mushrooms arent necesaary at all - its the fetta, shallots, and garlic which really makes it special. use anything you desire!! i think tomatos work quite well...

whats the occaison?

biggrin hug

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
No occasion. Just a romantic dinner. I love to cook.

And besides, after dessert, there would be some lavendar incense, massage oils, and other goodies waiting in the bedroom...

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
awwww......

you make me jealous... wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Dent, you wish I was your boyfriend? ubblol

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

No occasion. Just a romantic dinner. I love to cook.

And besides, after dessert, there would be some lavendar incense, massage oils, and other goodies waiting in the bedroom...

what more could i want!! wink ubblol

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So Freudian. So much of what we do is ostensibly for the sex. ubblol But when I really care about someone, it's about the look on their face when they see the effort I've put into something like this.

Yes, of course the sex will probably be amazing that night, but there's so much more to it than simply getting laid.

Not that I'm dumping on really hot sex, mind you. biggrin

-Mike

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
Quote:

But when I really care about someone, it's about the look on their face when they see the effort I've put into something like this.

same here. for me, christmas really is about giving cause i always put huge amounts of effort into the gifts i give my loved ones.

**giggles**