Page:
MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
After reading this post sober and discovering it wasnt really appropriate, I changed it to a list of your favorite spinners.

My favs:

Dantana - A pioneer of your field. Highly influential with a graceful yet technical style.

Trait - You continue to inspire me to this day. Your wide variety of moves combined with your awesome transitions between them are without equal.

Nick C - What can I say, after watching Dervishly Yers anyone who claims otherwise is a fool.

Shok - This really goes out to your whole crew. Your skills are unbeatable with glowstinging.

PoiPoiPoi - You have a very unique technical style. I have yet to see anyone more fluent and comfortable with fully tech routines.

EDITED_BY: Royal (1070572400)

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Royal ubbangel I'm touched.

I've devoted a great deal of my time to learning and most importantly teaching poi. For it is only through teaching that you can gain complete understanding.

My goal over the past year has been to get into a position where I can share everything with everybody who is ready to hear.

I now find myself very close to manifesting that goal.

We will meet someday, and I am certain that I will be equalling impressed.

matt

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
umm, how drunk exactly?

Though shalt not worship false idols... spank

Me thinks the best haven't been seen on video. I've heard legends of amazing poi folk from years ago? Dai? Arashi? Jo Derry?

Fair enough though, I appreciate all the videos as much as anyone else and think all of the above are groovy but you're leaving out loads of folk and your sticking into pigeon holes...
EDITED_BY: Jafar (1070534311)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
I nominate Jafar as Irish god of spinny stuff wink

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
eep...I'm no god ubbangel

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Ug... popularity contest thread.

Maybe I can salvage this thread by suggesting that we offer who have been GODS TO US. So that no one will get offended.

My own personal poi gods are (In order of number of times I've slept with them):
Dom
Glass
Cassandra
PK
Coleman
Dai
Bluecat
Skunk
Nix

Lately, I've been more thankful to those that have actually spent TIME and EFFORT in teaching me. I've found in the two years that I've been poi-ing there have been a disappointing few that have taken more than an hour to help me. This in sharp contrast to the hundreds upon hundreds of hours that I've spent teaching others. frown I think right now, DOM holds the lead for patience and minutes spent teaching me. ubblove

I don't mean to seem whiney but this 100:1 give:take ratio of my poi life has been getting annoying.

OK, fine, it's streched over to my love life too but that's a different story. I guess it's me. ubbloco

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hiya

Being fairly new to this site,,,I've gotta ask,,,are the above mention performers all from the COL series of videos??? If so,,,guess I should order it...

I know Nix or Nick C. or Nick W.,,,,,took some lessons off him last summer,,I know the guys in Oklahoma,,(Dantana, Dio,,Jedi),, downloaded all their videos. But how can I find the rest???

I am currently hooked on the Spinning in Paris videos,,,but with the exception of Nomad,,,I am at a loss as to who the other spinners are?? Anyone care to enlighten me??

I use these vids. as educational and inspirational tools as I find myself in the same position as NYC,,, no one is willing to teach me and I appear to lack the imagination to think this new stuff up on my own. Like,,,why didn't I think of that ,,,,doh. If it's just a matter of ordering the COL series ,,,consider it done but if there are websites out there that I havn't found,,, I sure would appreciate a little info.

By the way Royal,,,that cat is my all time favourite avatar..I have it set to about 100 little tiles as my current desktop background.

Cheers,,,,David weavesmiley

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
ubblol at NYC

Nobody asks me to teach them anything these days frown Yesterday I had great fun teaching somebody the 2bt weave and butterfly. And it wasn't just because she wiggled nicely to funk music to get the timing right wink

Anyway, not to offend anyone but personally I don't like these kinda threads so off I bimble....

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I agree that threads like this do little other than iflate peoples egos,

poi +ego = very bad thing

However, as quite a recluse to the world of poi I am interested in meeting Dantana and Shok (love the glowstringing)

Nick C ~ I feel as though I know you, could be an odd past life thing or just confusion

Trait ~ it's all good, think he's got the widest nipple piercing i ever did see

My addition to this would have to include Ally, Nick and Tony ~ Who seem to have aquired an almost mythical status around London and whom I had the good fortune of bumping into at squat parties back in the day ubbloco

Alex from San Francisco who taught Laura (ubblove) who bought me a set of poi for my 22nd birthday. Alex taught me all the under the leg stuff, his style rocks, I believe his spirit runs through my poi. Only knew him for a while but he has a great presence.

Coleman: RUDEBOY without the ego, you got the moves!

Drew: Big up ~ you crazy man. It was only after meeting Drew that I became comfortable with my poi-geek-ness. Rudest staff spinning i ever saw, inspired me to learn some contact staff.

Dom: Possibly the only person that would complement my style in a duet. One of those people I just don't spend enough time with.

Rob (Vancouver 'poi's in the hood): Met him at burning man 2002, then bumped into him a couple weeks later in Seattle (I think our paths were meant to cross). Wanted to teach him everything I knew and inspired me to make tutorial vids.

Isis (Seattle): A true Goddess of the Playa

And anyone else who manages to drop their ego whilst spinning

God isn't the right word though ~ I prefer 'Initiate'

easy,

m

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ta NYC hug. (i promise to spend at least 1hour 1 minute teaching the next time i see you wink)

funnily enough i sent a pm to arsn recently stating those who inspire me to pick up my spinny(not juggly, a whooole different list) toys... which i think would be a much better thread title...

*my inspirations*

(no particular order)

dom

cole

nix

devkev(kebbie?)(he inspires me to do absolutely anything hug)

bambam

adam(from london scene, i think he not be posting here...?)

tree

blackass

you guys push me to play like no others ubblove

have i missed anyone from my original list mr arsn?

hugs

R frown

(quick edit: this is a list of thosee who get me playing now not those who have inspired me in the past... another very loong list..)
EDITED_BY: bluecat (1070572110)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
Bluecat and PK.
I won't list all my favorites since that would be every spinner I've ever seen.Those two are my absolute favorites.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
That silver guy from "pyrosutura"

Oh yea and Jo Derry is the f#@k'n man, and Dantana. Maybee not in that order, but anyone who can show you anything is cool, and maybee open your mind a little biggrin

Pretty much everyone. wave

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
I believe all those people thinking of me being in any videos are incorrect. That would be Meenik (or some similar variation) that you're thinking of. Don't worry though, by the time I die you will see a video from me. Unless I die tomorrow, then you're screwed.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yes, I was under the impression that Meenik and Nick C were the same person. Why the hell are the videos called "Nick With Fire" then heh

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
er.

cause he's called nick. maybe? wink

and they're both from canada, causing the confusion......

biggrinR frown

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
mine are any one that can do poi to start with.

but if i think of spinning technically and giving me inspiration for years now then i would have to say:

Jo Derry for pushing boundaries for many years and teaching me loads over the past 3 years.

Kato for being inspiration on keeping learning.

Glass , dom for pushing my boundaries for 2 years now with new stuff from london.

Rob for making me hate poi so much by teaching me routines and making me think more technically.

Blackass and nix? for coming on so quickly over a short period of time.

PoiPoiPoi for being technically insane.

same goes for coleman.

Danae for being a true style princess.

dantana , dio and jedi white for being so kewl and showing me more unique styles.

Shok, for showing me what glowsticks can do.

Jez for his one handed moves.

Knoxious for his wonderful styles.

I have a great love to see any one spin even begginers, it makes me remember moves that i do not do very often any more and then i learn some thing simple like a variation i havnt tried before.
I love any one, i have many skills like unicycling and ihave idols from that including kris holm and many more.

I have a passion to do what i can for the community and sharing what i have, not because of what i can do or if people look upto me, i am not an ego man, i love to share and contribute in what ever means possible via videos or my site.
Every one is learning so quickly now adays and its impossible for me to keep track on who is who, but my list above is those people that have truely helped me in what i have learnt over the past 3 years personally.
If i had seen more people met more people then maybe you will have inspired me.

Silver shadow is another.... see i have a crap memory.

well be kewl.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

i'm sorry pk

i never meant it that way frown

frownR

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
PK: You're damn right about how good it is to watch people of all different skills. There's been loads of times when I've seen someone who might be just starting out and reminds me of something I just haven't practiced in years.

For example, I can happily do split time 5bt BF Weave and turns in all directions, but when I was making that video the other day I realised that I found it really tricky to do basic In-Time BF turns smile I just never use them anymore.

Big up to all you poi spinners out there.

m

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ta NYC hug. (i promise to spend at least 1hour 1 minute teaching the next time i see you wink)

A one hour lesson from Bluecat?! I'll be sure to put that on my "List of things that aren't actually going to happen." You've got 6 months to think of an excuse... better get started. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You Brits are so cute when you try to use American Slang.

It's "Big Ups" biggrin

(https://www.slangsite.com/slang/B.html)

Word to yo moms.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
ah you americans are sooo cute when you think you invented this language.

over hear its "big up"

and its origins are west indian tongue

https://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/b.htm

big up the rest of the world.

Glass

ubblol

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ya man!

big up de clapham posse!

(so will i see you in six months NYC?

i hope so.

in fact. if you make it over chez moi again you'll get TWO hours 1 minute hug)

but you'll have to give me sedatives ubbloco

R smile

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Hiya

I am currently hooked on the Spinning in Paris videos,,,but with the exception of Nomad,,,I am at a loss as to who the other spinners are?? Anyone care to enlighten me??

the second spinning in paris video also features Josh and Katinca, the most tanned couple in the cosmos smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'll settle for 45 minutes at EJC04.

And Glass, that wak site says it's a verb. But poipoipoi is using it as a noun. It should be plural when used as a noun to more than one person. In English we put an "s" at the end of most plural nouns.

Big up is a verb.
Big ups is a plural noun.

You can't give big up TO any group of people. Only big ups.

Nice try though.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
So how come you can 'Big Up' a 'Massive'

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Massive being singular, but describing a group of people.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
no no no no no... smile

that wasn't being used as a noun - it was being used as the verb that it is.

in poipoipoi's context: 'big up', short for 'big up yourself'.

west indian slang 101.

lesson one:

big up - a verb used as a mark of respect or a show of appreciation.

examples of use:

'big up the man dem drew' - pay respect to the cool person named drew (singular).

'big up da eastside massive' - those guys that live on the eastside are alright.

"You can't give big up TO any group of people. Only big ups."

correct but nonsensical.

as the eastside massive example shows, with a group of people we would big up the whole group - eg. big up the hop posse.

it seem nyc is using this in the same way that 'props' can be given.

this is not a valid use of 'big up'.

it can be summed up thusly: props - can be replaced with the single word 'respect' (hence 'props' is an improper noun) whereas to replace 'big up' we must insert the phrase 'i pay respect to' (so 'big up' is a verb).

and that's how it goes down in my town bitch.

check out gimme the loot on the first biggie album if you still doubt us:

"big up, big up, it's a stick up, stick up

and I'm shooting niggaz quick if you hiccup

don't let me fill my clip up in your back and head piece

the opposite of peace sending mom duke a wreath

you're talking to the robbery expert

stepping to your wake with your blood on my shirt

don't be a jerk and get smoked over being resistant

'cos when I lick shots the shits is persistent"

big up nyc. smile
EDITED_BY: coleman (1071072978)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I like how Cole starts his thread with 'no no no' but then adds "correct"

"Big Up" is used exactly as the verb "to thank" (defferent meaning but USED the same gramatically)
"Big Ups" is used exactly as the NOUN "thanks"

SO here are some gramatically correct sentences and sentence fragments:
Thanks to Coleman for being so cool.
Thank Coleman for being so cool.
Many thanks to Coleman for being so cool.

NOTE how I can NOT say "Thank to Coleman for being so cool."

You can NOT have "big up to" the exact same way you can NOT have "thank to". This was the only comment that I made and I am right in both the UK and the US slang dictionary.

"Big up to all you poi spinners out there" is a gramatically incorrect sentence in both UK and US slang.

And Poipoipoi... "massive" is a singular word. That's why YOU called it *A* "massive". biggrin "A team" "A group of people" are all singular.

[Now here's the point where coleman and glass disagree with things that I'm not saying just to save face tongue]

Poi Gods? Yes.
Grammar Gods? Apparently not.

ubblove

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ubblol i like the way nyc quotes my 'correct' comment but leaves out the 'but nonsensical' end to the sentence...

bottom line - we don't ever use the term 'big ups' and poipoipoi was right in his original usage of 'big up'.
covering my arse statement - however poipoipoi's second use of big up (that i didn't actually notice and that happens to be the one that nyc was commenting on dammit!) was indeed questionable...
with big up in quotes it would be correct or it could also have been 'big up all the poi spinners' or 'shout out to all the...' or 'mad props to...' instead.

so does correct grammar actually count for slang...? ubbidea

besides all that, nyc was blatently wrong when he said:
"i'm in for a right bollocking here - these wankers think they know every f*ckin fact on the face of the planet (when they know f*ck all) and now i've called their pansy arses out on this one they'll be giving me gip until i take it back and stop calling their mums slags."

i think those comments were completely uncalled for and furthermore, hurtful and scandalous nyc.

on behalf of yookay proper good slang users anonymous i demand an several apology - thats in the plurals if you're un-disunderstanding me wink

hug

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
NYC: I don't trust those slang dictionaries you quoted from, they don't even have words like spherculism, spherculoid and spherculish ubbrollsmile

What kind of dictionary is that. Everyone knows that spherculism, spherculoid and spherculish are well known words with their roots buried deep in kabalistic mysticism.

I just think it's funny that you picked me up on 'big up' - biggrin

Lets just say that American and English are two very different languages and leave it at that. beerchug

m

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ubblol at NYC

Nobody asks me to teach them anything these days frown

If you're ever in Shropshire DOM feel free to drop round and pass a few hints in my direction. In fact, anyone who happens to visit my vale is always more than welcome to stop in an exchange a few shakes and moves.

weavesmiley

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Page: