Page:
MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
After reading this post sober and discovering it wasnt really appropriate, I changed it to a list of your favorite spinners.

My favs:

Dantana - A pioneer of your field. Highly influential with a graceful yet technical style.

Trait - You continue to inspire me to this day. Your wide variety of moves combined with your awesome transitions between them are without equal.

Nick C - What can I say, after watching Dervishly Yers anyone who claims otherwise is a fool.

Shok - This really goes out to your whole crew. Your skills are unbeatable with glowstinging.

PoiPoiPoi - You have a very unique technical style. I have yet to see anyone more fluent and comfortable with fully tech routines.

EDITED_BY: Royal (1070572400)

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
and NYC, you'd better dmn well be giving bigs up to kenn, bigs up to tree, bigs up to cass and bigs up to yourself for abusing coles momma. (cause she could soooo easily kick your arses. ubblol)

dom will you teach me to bounce please frown

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Bigs up? Ug... I quit. ubbcrying

And it's pronounced TLHEE, not Tree. Wow, Scotish accents are hard to spell, aye Rhohb? biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Quote:

dom will you teach me to bounce please frown

They don't sell trampolines in NZ? confused

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yes!

got NYC to quit with a tear in his eye! ubblol

bi ugps to me i think ubbangel

trampolines are all very well dom, but i need to learn to be 6'6" and blonde first. can you help?

tongueR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
:swiftly moves from arguing about slang grammar to posting the list he's been preparing for three days:

'my inspirations' or 'those spinners i have to thank for everything i know today' (in handy chronological order):

sanchia - the first person i ever saw spin poi and remains to this day someone who i look to for an understanding of body movement with poi.

jonnny moohaahaa - this man taught me every day for a whole summer and span with me constantly for the following year. he was also the one that convinced me to start juggling balls too - jonnny can pretty much be blamed for everything smile smooth, technical spinning with the nonchalance of an ambidextrous vishnu.

josie lashes - full on fluffy fairie spinning with much bouncing and super style. along with cath, my inspiration to invent things for myself and not just rely on being taught how poi work by others.

orange - warp speed spinning with a bounce to kill for. if there is such a thing as a poi god, this man is one hug

fairie cath - in short, my poi godess. spins moves no-one else has even thought of and with so much style it spills over, whereupon it is quickly lapped up by all surrounding her. fairie-tastic innit.

demetri hpc - tons of style and the tiniest ego you have ever seen. a great spinner, performer and friend.

helene - the first person i saw spinning with superclean planes - and boy did i notice! plink has split-second perfect timing and slow spinning which blesses her with a style to die for. easily one of my favourite spinners to watch, possibly the number one. ubbrollsmile

tony touch - a legend. sort of like my teacher, once removed (jonnny learnt a huge amount from this man). in my head, this man really is jedi (with two orange lightsabres natch).

danny t - super-talented bloke with rude style. one of those that made me want to learn as much as i possibly could.

k-boy - super-clean tech spinning that bursts out into flowing dance with gorgeous style. not to be sniffed at is the fact that he also happens to be the only person i've ever seen play with astrojax and retain total control.

cam smallboy - my poi brother (black and silver poi are not a common thing you know). this man never, ever stops coming out with new sh*t - truly a master.

dom - what can i say that doesn't make me sound like the admiring, drooling groupie i am? amazing movement with crazy tech thrown in just because he's one of the few that can - i look up to dom in more ways than one.

drew - meeting this man transformed my attitude to poi. he took me from being an average spinner and slowly turned me into the technically anal, plane obsessed poi geek that i am today. and i love him for it.

danae - see the comments i made about dom; they all apply here too. this earth-bound angel embodies everything positive about poi spinners. if danae is spinning you'll likely find me somewhere nearby watching and smiling.

pk - two things about pk: one, i've never met a cleaner spinner - planes to die for. and two, he has variations coming out of his ears (which i have a sneaky suspicion might have been responsible for those gorgeous tunnels of his).

hugo - a truly unique style and the most naturally solid isolations i've yet seen. wicked.

rob bluecat - does this man have an end to his talents?! he even plays more radiohead songs on guitar than i do. easily the person that has made me shake my head in disbelief the most times - a constant inspiration.

matt poipoipoi - if there is anyone else out there with even a fraction of matt's respect for and skill with poi, i'd be seriously surprised to find them.

adam - badass style and a massive source of ideas all in one handy package. big up the man dem 'northern ad'.

kev - incomprehensible level of variety and an infective willingness to teach make kev very nearly the perfect poi spinner.

bammy - learns at the speed of dark and then takes everything she's learnt and makes it look ten times better than it did in the first place. beautiful, funny, kind, bamtastic ubblove

nix - if anyone learns faster than bam it's this bloke. direct into ultra-tech and inventing all the way. tom gives me the incentive i need to stop juggling and pick up my poi...

ubblove hug
EDITED_BY: coleman (1089734089)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Cole dude, its so nice to come back, ten minutes on hop and I really want to go practice again! hehehe

My list of peeps is long and pretty close to my list of hop peeps I have met, so im not going to list them, and instead say a huge THANK YOU to everyone for letting me steal all thier best tricks. wink

Love to you all,

Tom wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
sancha - A most beautiful poi spinner! Thanks for reminding me. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone else's facial expressions be so concentrated, varied and expressive whilst spinning poi. When the poi don't do what she expects she looks at them so scouldingly. You know Sancha when she's pissed off at something! Very cute in a most sassy way.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Lots of people I guess... Sancha, Cole, Dom, Drew, John, Alex, Cam, Kelly... most of the people I've met over the last couple of years that have helped my spinning either through patient teaching, inspiration or trying to work out silly moves with wink biggrin

"Moo," said the happy cow.

GiGi-D L'Amourmember
19 posts

Posted:
hahah love reading the thread... and poipoipoi DAMN STRAIGHT! American is diffrent than English friggin proud of it too.

Ok aside from that.
I have to admit I am still sheltered as far as fire dancers etc go my personal inspiration has been Flam Chen there based out of my city mentored my beginnings before I even knew it was a big deal to be an international fire theater troop.... they are all my Gods so to speak.
Other than that I have only see all the other troops here in AZ and a couple out of L.A and spinners at Burning man so many there that were amazing but fire there is every where and you never get names... its just the girl with all those amazing wraps... or that insane chick spinning in all plastic clothes with her fuel bucket uncovered LOL
what I can say is this
I have more respect for the artist who shares willingly and uncompetitavley helps others and admires there acomplishment no matter how small.
I have met those who blow of complements and questions with shallow answeres like oh I just watch others... wich is BS and any body who works there ass off at this knows it. And I have met those who honestly tell you what a move is how hard it is really and what you need to do to get there.
Can't wait to see who I admire by next year.

GiGi-D L'Amour
If you can't be normal make everyone else wish they weren't

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
The only poi spinner I've ever met is musashii who taught me most everything I know. He is awesome. I'd like to meet other spinners but doesn't seem like there are many in the area..... ubbcrying

Always Beautiful

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
on another note...that whole big ups tangent completely lost me. I'll stick with props and what little slang I know...

Always Beautiful

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
My inspirations:
Jedi White - I think that clip on COL2 influenced the way I spin more than anything else!
Jo - Only met him recently, but he's the first person in a long time that's been able to show me something completely new. Such a nice guy with it, totally patient while I was trying to get my head around the movements.

beerchug and hug to you both!
I'm sure there are others, I'll come back and edit when my head is slightly less screwed up.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

`..PoiBoi`..member
7 posts

Posted:
hmm....... lets see...

PoiPoiPoi- great at poi and has a great site.
Mot- has a vertyt site
Sage- one of the best I ever seen...

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
dantana

cam

diz (uzzeal)

and bam bam...

you all inspire me!!! u give me the power to keep trying that move that i cant quite get. to send me out into the snow, when everyone else is in bed, warm...

i have learnt to love poi, and i think that its all thanks to those wonderful videos (thanks hop) and those people who showed me things!! thankyou all....

I hope to meet more spinners, i love inspiration, i love seeing spinners!

Keep spinning!

Frodo out.

passing through, this world still lives.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I don't get to see many folks as nobody spins near me so unless I'm at a festival or something I have no regular meetings with others for learning, but I gotta say Poi Poi Poi your vids and fluidity are fantastic. *tips hat in appropriate direction* You've already helped me enourmously with your vids so that earns top rank on favouritism for me, I am truly grateful hug wave weavesmiley

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Weaselthe one and only, just like chesney
295 posts

Posted:
sancha was the first person i ever saw spin and inspired me to learn, her style is soooo beuatiful and graceful and shes so fluffy and lovely.she taught me so so much.

And cole you really inspire me too,partially cos your so annoyingly good at everything you seem to pick up, and your always coming up with crazy new ideas - your a technical genius dude, (ie-juggling geek.) you make me want to give you a big hug hug hug hug

also dom, jonney, spirelx, drew, bam bam and monkey
ubblove

birds might be able to fly,
but weasels dont get caught in jet engine's

Weaselthe one and only, just like chesney
295 posts

Posted:
oh and drome, cant forget drome
ubblove
xxx

birds might be able to fly,
but weasels dont get caught in jet engine's