Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > TTN with more than 4 beats?

Login/Join to Participate

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I was just wondering if anyone can do TTN with more than 4 beats. Seeing as how there are 7+ beat weaves, I figure its possible to do a 6+ beat TTN but Ive never heard anyone speak of such a move. So if anyone can do it, please let me know, and if you feel like it, possibly describe how its done.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I keep forgetting it's possible so have never played with it.

I believe it involves the same arms twisting as 7beat louise. I've heard reference to PK doing them at some stage, maybe ask him...

If you've played with the gilligan that glass does on spinning in paris where he keeps interweaving the dead poi around the spinning one and then dramatically using his teeth to pull it over his head....

I'd imagine it's similar hand movements but with the poi on the same side it was on (LHS of the left arm if your right poi's dead)

Just try it me thinks.... ubbangel

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yup.

its doable.

but icouldn;t explin it except t say its got the same ugly manouvre as the louise.

spank fo r even thikning about it.

(and before we get into al lthe 'but we've discussed this, itts actually 3/4/5/6/7/9/43 beat', i think thats what he meant? no?)

hugs
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
5 beat split time ttn is the most i can do.

If you 'pause' your hand movements during the 5bt, you can add as many extra beats as you like - I call them 'fakeys' beacuse you're coming out of the ttn pattern to add the extra beats.

I can't do the 5bt split time ttn IN TIME. Which I guess would be a 6 beat???? 3 beats by each poi. Because there needs to be a small gap for the poi to pass through.

Anywho, the 5bt split time ttn with turns looks sooooo sweet, i would rather have it super slick than concern myself with 6, 7, or more beats. But of course they are possible. You might just need ot be double jointed or able to pop your shoulder out of its socket smile

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I agree with what the most handsome looking PoiPoiPoi said.
I'll add that if you play with timing lots of funky beat/circle combinations are possible.

Like a lot of moves I've just not bothered working on anything once it begins to get too ugly.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
kiss

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hey Royal, here's some multi beat TTN's for you

Butterfly Variations

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Not sure I agree with some of the beat counts there, but nice videos smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
What beat counts aren't right?? 3bt and 5bt TTN are correct but when I start turning with them I tend to slip an extra couple in so that i'm leading with my right hand. No matter how much I spin poi, i've still got a 'gammy' left hand ubbtickled

m

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
6 beat split time is possible, all you need to do matt is mirror the other hand.

its a funky one to learn through, gets frustrating.

as for mention of the "louise", thats just 7 and 8 beat corkscrews with no wrapping. "damn ugly move".

Y.T.SILVER Member
hopeless addict
121 posts

Posted:
i've been playing around with butterfly airwraps lately and you can make a nice 6 beat ttn with them, hope you understand :

do the standard 4bt ttn and as you are putting in the extra beat with you right hand skew the plane so as the poi travels up it's coming towards you. push forward as usual and as you bring your hand back have your hand's apart but in the standard butterfly position (this will mean bringing your right hand over the top of your left) and the right poi will cath the left one. if you keep the airwrap for one beat and repeat as you come out with your left hand it makes it 6bt i think. and the two smaller airwrapped circles in the middle look sooo nice. ubblove

it's a bit of mission to learn but worth it once the airwraps become even.

Ninjas NEVER give up!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'd say your 5-beat split time TTN is actually 6-beat... the basic split-time TTN is 3-beats, when you do the full version it's 3 for each hand.

I think wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Y.T.

If you do a 4Bt TTN and add a 2bt Hyperloop into it - you have 6 beats but you are not doing a 6Bt TTN, you are doing a 4Bt TTN PLUS a Hyperloop, i.e 2 separate patterns joined together. Sounds wicked though. I haven't worked on those butterfly hyperloops at all, they mess with my mind smile

spiralx

If the number of 'beats' is EVEN then you are doing a move IN TIME, if the number is ODD then you are doing it SPLIT TIME. Granted though, counting the 'beats' [circles] for those moves is super hard. I tend to use a video camera to check the beat count.

Quote:

6 beat split time is possible, all you need to do matt is mirror the other hand.

Thanks PK, but that may require me to dislocate my shoulders and turn my mind inside out ubbtickled

m

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
whats ttn?

it must be green

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Y.T

I was playing about with that TTN + Hyperloop and i'm finnally getting the hang of them, cheers.

Joulz : TTN= Thread the Needle = shite name (but sadly it is used commonly around here)

m

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
hahaha alright:)
tyhnx for clarifying biggrin

it must be green